Sponsors:

Stolen sawmill

Started by bruce29, June 03, 2021, 05:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

What you got against the hogs?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bigD

So Sorry, I just went to check on mine yesterday (it at my parent old place across the road) and found someone stole about 10 cherry slabs, all my bands, all my cant hooks and had my mill all ready to go to pull it out.  I guess they were waiting on it to dry up.  I cant stand a *DanG thief, lord help them and me if I catch them.
I sure hope you get yours back.  I really do feel for you to put so much work in something and have someone think they can just take it.

mike_belben

Wow that was a lucky catch   :o
Praise The Lord

petefrom bearswamp

Sorry to hear this.
I'm going to look into that tracking device.
Im a long ways from you but will keep an eye out.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Woodpecker52

Sorry for your loss,  I have a friend that lost 4 zero turn mowers from his dealership, since recovered, however he now puts magnetic gps trackers on all his equipment.  They cost about $30 each.  Those with sawmills left out in open should look into them.  You could set them in the electric boxes and add electrical info on them to disguise them or place them in rail tubes etc., but in this day and drug age stuff is going to be stolen, especially when they are letting criminals go with a wrist slap.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Jim_Rogers

Has anyone tried any of the "Tile" tracking devices? Or something similar.
You can get them pretty cheap but reviews say some don't work very well.
If someone could recommend a brand or model that they use and it works well for them that would be great.
Thanks.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

nativewolf

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 05, 2021, 10:55:37 AM
Has anyone tried any of the "Tile" tracking devices? Or something similar.
You can get them pretty cheap but reviews say some don't work very well.
If someone could recommend a brand or model that they use and it works well for them that would be great.
Thanks.
Jim Rogers
The apple airtag work well but better in urban areas where you have people with iphones around
Liking Walnut

Tacotodd

If something like a fluid proof capsule that that's also a tracking device is made then you could always just drop it into the fuel tank. I don't know if such a device exists, but it's something to think about 🤔
Trying harder everyday.

Daburner87

^That is an amazing idea.   When I did landscaping some of the other crews I would see had welded their own company name onto the equipment.   Really a nuisance more than a deterrent, but they either have to cut it off or sell like that depending on their skill level and tool set.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

farmfromkansas

Big D you had better be camping out close to your mill when it dries up. Maybe you could catch the dirty buggers.  Set up a game camera disguised to watch your mill at least. 
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

mike_belben

If i was a thief id be working in the pouring rain when nothing makes a sound and the dog doesnt even want to go outside. Keep a close watch. 
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

had a friend whos family had people driving into and through their very nice front yard.  nice street with curbs.  he put nails through a board, painted green and placed in the yard.  next time it happened, they found the car about 2 blocks from the house.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Patrick NC

They make a GPS tracker for excavator buckets that is actually inside a compartment that is welded to the bucket. The only way to disable it is to cut it off with a torch. Not a quick job as the compartment is 1/2" thick steel pipe welded to the back of the bucket. I have no idea how it works as obviously there's no way to charge a battery in that type of application, but I do know it can be tracked on our office computers. This product is sold through our local Komatsu dealer so im not sure how you'd go about getting it for a sawmill, but the technology is out there. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

farmfromkansas

I plan to talk to the sheriff about those gps trackers.  Probably need to buy a number of them and put them on everything I own and keep at the farm yard. We'll see how they work next time those thieves stop by.  My mill is going to get one for sure.  Been hiding the hitch for it, but possible they will bring their own hitch.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Magicman

Guys, we need some links to the products that you are mentioning.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on June 06, 2021, 10:49:23 AM
Guys, we need some links to the products that you are mentioning.  :P
MM:
I agree with you and I think it should be a thread all by itself.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Lostinmn

This looks like an interesting options:

The Equipment Lock GPS Tracker | The Equipment Lock Company

Going to do some more research, but 60 to by 120 a year for subscription seems reasonable to protect the cost of a sawmill, tractor, or etc.

Their product only has three reviews on amazon as it seems new, but their other products on amazon look like they review pretty well.  I emailed them for more details on subscription, battery life and etc.  Will pass along if it looks promising.

Ianab

Digging on the web page it says 4 year battery life (depending on "things")

I see it only phones home twice a day, that will be how they stretch out the battery life. 

Problem I can see with those trackers is that GPS needs to be able to "see" the sky. If it's hidden in a metal box or mill frame it will neither get a GPS lock, or be able to phone home. When machinery has the GPS built in then it can be integrated into the Engine ECU box or similar, and an antenna hidden in the wiring loom making it very difficult to disable. 

On a car a box like that can be hidden behind a plastic bumper and still work, so that might give some mounting / disguise ideas?  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

trapper

lt 30 and lt40 have an open tube at the top of the mast which would be hard to detect yet have a wide open view of the sky.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Lostinmn

Quote from: Lostinmn on June 06, 2021, 01:18:42 PM
This looks like an interesting options:

The Equipment Lock GPS Tracker | The Equipment Lock Company

Going to do some more research, but 60 to by 120 a year for subscription seems reasonable to protect the cost of a sawmill, tractor, or etc.

Their product only has three reviews on amazon as it seems new, but their other products on amazon look like they review pretty well.  I emailed them for more details on subscription, battery life and etc.  Will pass along if it looks promising.
Here is the response I received on a couple questions I emailed:

Do you need a subscription for each unit or can you track multiple units with one? 

-Each unit tracks 1-item.  You can move a single unit around to multiple pieces of equipment and update its asset details in the software.
-If you have multiple units, you will need a subscription for each unit.
-There are two pricing options for the subscriptions,  an annual and a monthly.

Also like to know more regarding the batter life. Is t battery replaceable after 4 years or do you have to replace the units?

-The battery life is based on a 2-report per day expectancy.  The device reports at 8 AM and 4 PM local time.  (This is not a real-time tracking device)
-The battery is non-replaceable as it is potted to ensure a water-tight and all environment-friendly tracker. 
-After the battery has expired, the unit will need to be replaced.

bannerd

GPS is awesome but it also comes with a monthly payment unless you use open source.  After talking to some police/troopers around here $50 GPS signal identifiers are pretty normal for thieves.  They use them to locate and remove the device or destroy or jam it with other means. 

I thought long and hard about this,  I'm going to get a wheel spacer and some special lug nuts.  That way I can take the wheel off put the spacer on and then thread on these lugs nuts.  The wheel spacer will be recessed so you cant use a pipe wrench to take the lug nuts off.  I think this will work well when you're at a remote site, when the mill is back home maybe the same practice but behind locked doors.

I suppose this could be defeated but it wouldn't be easy.  Just thinking.

Southside

So if I am a smart thief then I call these tracking companies, learn these details, assume anything I steal is tagged, and work around their details.  Only steal after 4:00 PM and make sure anything that can't be inspected has gone through a crusher before 8:00 AM.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Maybe a pressure switch activated glue / glitter / dye device that goes off if the pressure on the front tongue jack is released.  Basically the thief and the back of their vehicle gets coated in the same dye used in bank robbery packs. 

They are going to run after that happens, and you have a decent chance of finding out who it is after the fact.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

boardmaker

Southside,
  With my memory, I would become the most proficient tester of my anti-theft device...

I can picture half the guys here driving down the road with their car and themselves sparkling away.

bruce29

I Got a phone call saying someone thought they seen it on I 75 headed north into Knoxville  Tenn that fit the time frame mine was stolen. If anyone is around that area keep an eye out.

Thank You Sponsors!