iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stolen sawmill

Started by bruce29, June 03, 2021, 05:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

I think an apple airtag could be a good solution now that i've read more. Not cell based GPS but bluetooth (longer lasting) and sends off other phones/devices.  If they got near the mill with the find my iphone function or camera enabled it would ping (you'd know who was around the mill and when).  If they disabled they could not find the airtag (very small).  Going down the road and at rest stops/restaurants it would be pinging away.  Think i will get a pack to try them out.
Liking Walnut

Lostinmn

Quote from: nativewolf on June 08, 2021, 08:50:52 AM
I think an apple airtag could be a good solution now that i've read more. Not cell based GPS but bluetooth (longer lasting) and sends off other phones/devices.  If they got near the mill with the find my iphone function or camera enabled it would ping (you'd know who was around the mill and when).  If they disabled they could not find the airtag (very small).  Going down the road and at rest stops/restaurants it would be pinging away.  Think i will get a pack to try them out.
Be very interested to see how these work out, keep us posted!

Log Dawg

You can also drop your outriggers and put a lock thru the holes . I know this might only slow a good theft down, but he would not be able to back up hook up and take off.
2006 LT40HDD51 Cat Diesel, Board Return, Auto Clutch, De-Barker & Accuset, ShopBot CNC, 1953 Ford Jubilee, IDry

metalspinner

Bruce29,
That's my neighborhood! I'll keep an eye out. I notice things like mills and trailers full of logs or lumber. 😉

Assuming someone wants to keep the mill in tact for use, they might change the color. Are there a couple of quick identifying features one could recognize??
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

welderskelter

If a crusher around here buys a sawmill painted up like that one. They would put it out by the highway for sale rather than crush it. Now on second hand if they stole my mill it looks like it has already been thru the crusher.

mike_belben

Its worth in scrap is extremely low compared to as a mill or in sawn lumber.  

Theres an ambutious get rich quick new miller out there sawing yard trees out behind the shed right now.  Booms do that.
Praise The Lord

stihlsawer

Quote from: mike_belben on June 03, 2021, 08:06:54 AM
Man that was a real beauty. I hope they hang for it.

I will keep a close eye out for it in my neck of the woods.   LSN.com is a TN/AL/GA classified to watch too.  

Paging some folks in the region...

@treemuncher  
@will k  
@just_sawing  
@123maxbars  
@kiko
@Kenny.jenkins  
@stihlsawer  
@Jjoness4  
@wolf nemeth  
@grabber green  
@Downstream  
@YellowHammer  
@Sawbriar  
@AlabamaLaura  
@RichTired  
@Esaw  
@ReggieT  
@Hot Shot Rob  
I definitely keep my eyes open. Beautiful mill and hope it's found intact. 
Trever
Trever Jones
Stihl 076 Super, 034, MS 260 PRO, MS 192T
Dolmar 116si
GB 44" lumber mill, Mini mill, Beam machine

Nebraska

I hope some dipstick posts a photo about his new sawmill on faceplate and you catch up to them....  It's home built so they can't strip the parts, they either have to sell it, or use it to get any $$ for their work.. 

Southside

Or the thief sells it to the poor sap who is trying to bust his butt and make a living. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

farmfromkansas

Think most of these thieves just sell for scrap prices at scrap yards, after all, they are metal thieves.   the safest way to turn the stuff into cash.  What else they going to do, advertise their stolen goods?  My wife is working on a nice template, plan to paint my name on all my stuff.  At least if you see my name on the side of my trailer going up the highway, maybe you will write down the tag number of the truck pulling it.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

mike_belben

QuoteWhat else they going to do, advertise their stolen goods?

Turn it directly into drugs.  Saves a step.  Junkies know what their dealers are looking for.  Risk getting busted trying to scrap a perfectly beautiful sawmill?  The cash might buy 10 pills.   bring the sawmill, quad, sxs, corvette, pro chainsaws etc etc etc to the dealer and negotiate for 100 pills with a complete understanding that its stolen and must be kept pretty hidden forever.
Praise The Lord

Sixacresand

I envision the GPS tracker device laying on the ground where the mill once sit.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

RichTired

When I have visited Pawn shops in my area, most of the construction tools and cases all have a name of a person or construction company on them. And the Pawn shop workers all saw they are not stolen... ???
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

RepairMyWiFi

bruce29

Recovered my sawmill, was damaged a lot but repairable 

Old Greenhorn

Good for you. Do you have any details, they catch the thief? What did they do with it? What kind of damage did it take? C'mon man, details! ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

RichTired

Well that's good news you got it back, 8) but bad news it was damaged!  :'(

Can you share the story of its return?
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

fluidpowerpro

I am so happy for you that you got your mill back. I built a lot of my mill myself and couldnt imagine what it would feel like to have it stolen. After you put so many hours into it, it becomes more than just a possession. Hopefully the damage is not too bad and you can be milling again soon.
Take care. 
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

btulloh

Excellent news. Thanks for the update and the good news. Sorry to hear it's damaged.

HM126

WV Sawmiller

Great to hear it is home. Hope the damage is not too bad. Mostly I hope they caught and punish the miscreants to the maximum allowed by law. Let us know what happens with them.

How did they recover it? Any tips you learned you want to post to help the rest of us?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

slider

Glad you got it back ,fine looking mill.
al glenn

maple flats

That's amazing you got it back. Did they catch the thieves? How extensive is the damage?
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Chuck White

Good news, glad to hear that you have recovered your mill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

711ac

I'm very happy for you, but for almost 3 weeks we on this end have taken partial ownership of your mill (story) and need to know the "nitty gritty". 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!