iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Remembering how to run a Wood-Mizer again.

Started by Bibbyman, June 03, 2021, 03:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Mary and I have been seriously retired for 6 years.   We still have the mill and all the equipment.  The mill and support equipment sets idle most of the time.  I fire up the mill every now and then to rip something down or some special project.  I doubt if it makes a bushel of sawdust a year.

Recently,  I took on a project sawing 4x4s for our son.  I plum ran out of sharp blades.  I was forced to relearn how to use the sharpener again.  It had been 6 years since I last used it.  After a few false starts and head scratching,   I figured it out and got 3 blades sharpened.  That will do me for a while.  I probably should sharpen more while I have it up and going. 

Funny, I step up to the Command Control on the LT40 and my hands just go into action like when I ran every day.  
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bruno of NH

Good for you Sir
Its nice to hear from you.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

YellowHammer

Ain't that something.  I still remember watching your videos from back when.  Good to hear form you.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

alan gage

I'd say you're doing pretty darn good considering I thought you were dead. :)

I've only been on the forum for a few years but I've come across lots of great information from you in the archives and heard lots of people saying, "Bibbyman did this and Bibbyman did that." Just assumed you'd died and am glad to learn I was wrong.

Have fun making sawdust for a little while again and then get back to enjoying retirement.

Alan

Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Bibbyman

Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated! 

I'm spending much of my leisure time working on old guns.  The sawdust pile has become my shooting range back stop.   It's slumped considerably.  Fawns tend to hide out on top of it.

Colt Frontier Six Shooter made in 1881 - YouTube

Sawing since '94

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

Great to hear from you again. Sorry to hear you have not been using the mill more. I figured you were too busy running it to write here. (Well, loading logs and stacking lumber while Miz Mary sawed the lumber.) Sort of like a letter I got from an old HS buddy (I went to his wedding a couple weeks ago - 68 and never been married before. You of thought he knew better. :D) One time I heard from him after 6-7 years and his letter said "I'd have wrote sooner but the fish was biting." Who can refute logic like that?

Nice looking gun. Glad Mary has not used it on you yet. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Andries

Good of you to check in, Mr Bibbyman.
Your posts were always a favorite read, back in the day.
Who'd a thought that you would park the sawmill and take up gun slingin' ?  😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Bibbyman

We ran the sawmill as a business,  not a hobby.  I have always had the gun fixings and shooting bug.  I just didn't have the time when we were running the sawmill.  I told Mary this morning after sawing for a couple of hours, "I'm sure glad we're not doing this as a business.".

Mary shooting 44WCF rifle and pistols and hammer 12 gauge double.

Sawmill Mary Cowboy Action Shooter - YouTube
Sawing since '94

dgdrls

Chuck White

Good to see you on the Forum again Bibby!

We miss people when they're not here often!

Hope you and Mary are doing well!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

It's nice to see you poke your head up Bibby. 

I'm not sawing as a hobby either, it's still a business.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

Glad to see you and Sawmill Mary having fun!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Southside

Ya know that whole event would have made for quite the video.  I can see you there fussing with the sharpener, twisting your head to the side, biting your tongue while digging up old memories on how to run it, suddenly a smile comes across your face as we hear the familiar "zhinc, zhinc, zhinc" and sparks fly.  The next scene you are walking up to the ole, trusty, 40, blow the dust off of the controls as your hands settle onto the setworks.  One second of diesel crank, and dust rolls off the whole mill as she comes to life.  Suddenly the "screech" of the drive belt engaging fills the air and the camera pans back to a wider angle as the head moves forward....

Heck - Wood Mizer would buy that and use it for an advertising video!!  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Except there's no diesel cranking, just the quiet whir of the 25 hp 3 phase electric iirc, Southside😊

Bibby, it's good to hear from you but I'm glad you haven't been running your mill. Never been a better time to send it down the road from what I hear😉
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

I was hoping this was not an old thread.
Good to hear from you!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Quote from: barbender on June 03, 2021, 09:30:20 PMExcept there's no diesel cranking, just the quiet whir of the 25 hp 3 phase electric iirc, Southside😊

Artistic Liberty Barbenter, Artistic Liberty.... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Gilman

Lucky day for me to take a peek inside ForestryForum.  Nice to hear from you.

I know what you mean about relearning the grinder.  Years ago I decided to sharpen some blades again instead of using Woodmizer's Woodvillage, Oregon resharp service.  After I had resharpened them a couple of times I sent them into WM for them to resharpen.  They returned them to me unsharpened with a note, "Not Woodmizer Blades or Profile."  I only bought WM blades at that time and was using WM's sharpener.  smiley_dunce
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Jeff

That is two dont be a strangers in one topic!  Good to see both of you!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

123maxbars

Good deal, that post made my day, learned a lot from you over the years, 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Bibbyman

I did make a video of the sharpener running.  Just to send to Electric Al in Iowa to prove that I got the sharpener going.  

I tripped a breaker right off because it started off grinding too deep.  I forgot there was a reset behind the control box under the oil pan.  I forgot to turn on the oil flow valve on top of the grinder head and had to figure out why no oil was flowing.  The wiring connection to the grinder motor came loose while I fiddled with the box under the oil pan and took a bit to realize why the grinder motor wasn't working.  

new learning curve june 2021 - YouTube

It is remarkable that all this Wood-Mizer equipment still works (knock on wood) after all these years. 
Sawing since '94

ellmoe

Hey! Great to see you on the Forum Bibs! Sure are happy you are enjoying retirement. Come visit more often.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Nomad

Very happy to see you back!  Use your mill as a second hobby now and then and stop being a stranger.  You've been sorely missed for a long time now.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Roxie

How wonderful to see you again!  How are those granddaughters we watched grow?  Hugs to you and Mary. 
Say when

Bibbyman

Quote from: Roxie on June 04, 2021, 06:48:29 AM
How wonderful to see you again!  How are those granddaughters we watched grow?  Hugs to you and Mary.
All grown up, married, jobs.  Alex has a son going on 4 soon.  Brooke just announced that she's expecting. (Photo taken in 2015)

Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!