iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Remote control

Started by SWall, June 05, 2021, 05:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SWall

Does anyone recommend the remote control for the Woodmizer LT 50?
Just ordered one and was thinking about adding it if I still had time.
2019 LTZ Duramax, 2020 Kubota M4D-071 HD, Woodmizer LT 50 diesel on order

Southside

If you are sawing solely for exercise then no, otherwise I would say it's a no brainier. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

JB Griffin

If your talking bout the wireless remote then no.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Dave Shepard

I really like the wireless remote on my LT40 Super. If I didn't need the bed extension, I might go for the Command Control. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Stephen1

A friend of mine went with the 50 so he could get the remote. He considers it the best option he put on the mill. He has sawn with it for 4 years now. I wish I could have gotten it on my 40. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Patrick NC

I don't have a woodmizer, but the wireless remote for my Norwood hd36 is the best money I've ever spent. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

barbender

I have no love for my walk along console on my LT40, especially when the wind is blowing the wrong way and the sawdust is right in my eyes.
Too many irons in the fire

fluidpowerpro

I have had some experience with a brand called Teleradio. Its high quality at a reasonable price. The thing to remember about radio remotes is that you can always find one thats lower cost. They are not all made the same or as reliable. Lots of people try to use a cheap "toy" remote for heavy duty applications and they dont live. Safety is also an issue. A good remote will have safeguards built in to help prevent interference from outside signals.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

SWall

Thank you gentlemen, I'll try and get it added to the order this week. 

SWall

Quote from: JB Griffin on June 05, 2021, 06:29:48 PM
What's your reason, have you had issues with one?

SWall

Quote from: Stephen1 on June 05, 2021, 09:24:55 PM
A friend of mine went with the 50 so he could get the remote. He considers it the best option he put on the mill. He has sawn with it for 4 years now. I wish I could have gotten it on my 40.
Thank you the positive input!!!

barbender

If I was ordering one right now for what I do, I would be looking at the Command Control. The downsides of the CC are that I think you can only run a 6' extension (if that's important to you) and I don't think WM has dragback fingers like on the LT70 available for the 40 or 50 (these are the fingers that are behind the dragback that keep the board going straight back). I think they consider it too much weight, several members on here have fabbed their own with mainly aluminum construction.

Dave Shepard

Command Control is limited to a BX6. Wood-Mizer uses Omnex remotes, they are industrial. 

JB Griffin

Quote from: SWall on June 06, 2021, 02:31:31 PM
Quote from: JB Griffin on June 05, 2021, 06:29:48 PM
What's your reason, have you had issues with one?

Not me personally,  but, Woodmizer will not warranty those remotes, and not sure they even stock parts for them, and they only operate the head not the hyd functions.
They are only available for the walk along mills. 
My command control remote operators station lets me stand still AND work the hyd. @Dave Shepard mill is stretched way out to something like 55' so I can see where it might be handy for him.

I personally would not have one at all.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

SWall

I decided not to order, due to no warranty or hydraulic controls. I won't be running it much anyway, so my boys will have to deal with the walking and dust. They said they'd be fine without it. Thank you all for you advice. Steve

barbender

What about the Command Control option?

SWall

I'm debating on that. The mill is just for our personal use, so I don't know if the extra cost would be worth it. The cost of the diesel made me cringe, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. I've got time to think about it after talking with Woodmizer today, it'll be a while before I receive the mill.

YellowHammer

I also consider the Command Control that attaches to the front of the mill to be a necessary and not "optional" piece of equipment.  

Everything is done from the pedestal, including hydraulics.  

Hydraulics anywhere can easily be added.

Safely away from the noise and sawdust.

I wouldn't buy a mill without it.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Ricker

I have the command control and really like it, sure beats walking back and forth thru the sawdust pile and around the tire.

SWall

Woodmizer said that neither were popular options for the mill I ordered, but I imagine it'd be due to the cost. They said most prefer to be close to the head when sawing. 

Magicman

Of course there is another option:

Yes, when the wind is wrong I get sawdust but those times are rare.  If I was ordering a new sawmill today it would be so equipped.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Quote from: SWall on June 08, 2021, 08:08:58 PMThey said most prefer to be close to the head when sawing.
Maybe at first, for a little while. You will eventually develop a funny walk after getting trained to step around the tire.  :D
In all seriousness the 50 is a lot of mill and if you will be using the drag back then not walking along with the mill is a much more efficient way to saw. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Quote from: SWall on June 08, 2021, 08:08:58 PM
Woodmizer said that neither were popular options for the mill I ordered, but I imagine it'd be due to the cost. They said most prefer to be close to the head when sawing.
I can see riding, like MM.  Low effort, high efficiency, especially with off bearers, high production. The umbrella is sweet. I wonder about whiplash? ???  

I can see standing and feeding boards back on the dragback using the command console. Low effort, never moving more than a few feet from sawing, stacking, and operating. I have done many millions of pounds this way.   

I would in no way want to walk and follow the head of my old LT40 or especially my LT70, board after board, mile after mile, day after day, year after year.  Nope.  Just me.  I had a walk along, never again.  Got too much sawdust in my ears and shoes.   :D

To me, this option falls into a classic Yellowhammerism of "Take steps to save steps."

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!