iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Repeat offenders

Started by PAmizerman, June 07, 2021, 09:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Quote from: Ricker on June 07, 2021, 11:18:14 PMThey keep calling, eventually they will say I saw no activity at the mill this week you could have been sawing for me and at least put a few bucks in your pocket.  I say yup could of but if I'm gonna trade a old dollar for a new dollar I would just as soon do it fishing and just switch which pocket I keep my money in.
A potential customer called me once and inquired about portable sawing rates.  When I told him my rates he told me my rate was too high and he started a professorial lecture on the economics of a machine not running versus running below rates. His pontificating tone was condescending to me so that didn't help his case. 

I told him I don't "buy work" by slashing my rates.  He asked how I covered overhead when the saw doesn't run.  I explained my overhead is paid in advance and not his concern.  I told him if he could get his sawing done at the rates he quoted, I could not compete. 

He called back when he fired the other guy he hired because "his" other guy cut wavy lumber.  We never worked out an agreed upon rate because I refused to lower my rate.  I reminded him that "his" other guy was "buying" his business by sawing at 25% less than my rate and you get what you pay for.  He didn't like that and our conversation ended shortly afterwards.  He's not called back and the rest of his logs are rotting in his side yard.  

I will not buy work and run the mill at a loss.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

I have had several cases where a customer took his logs to somebody who promised to saw them a few cents cheaper/bf than my rate then let them sit there and rot. One neighbor moved them back to me to get them sawed. Another called me and I sawed 2 logs and we concluded they were all ruined - pine full of borers. I don't negotiate much. There's no future in it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Back when I was foolish enough to answer unknown numbers on Sunday a guy called about portable sawing.

So he explains that basically we would have to pull my truck and mill into his site because of the "road" condition and how he has virgin timber.

I explain that isn't going to happen and discuss rates with him, and he tries to beat me up. 2x should be less, "fewer cuts", 3/4 should be less for some other reason, then when I won't budge he gets to spouting about how I will be "judged for my Earthly actions".  

Yea, most of you probably know that I will put up with a lot, but when it's time to Rock and Roll, I play a mean guitar. I said something to the effect that he was fortunate to have been born in a time and place where he was free to purchase his very own sawmill, edger, kiln, loader, building, tree smoother, etc. and charge any rate he believed would grant him a pass with St Peter, in the meantime I had bills to pay.

Never heard back.... ???
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Haha yeah when they start to tell you that you are thwarting God's will by not giving them bare bones pricing, just send them away🤦🏻‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Just remind them god says that its better to give than recieve.
Praise The Lord

WDH

Yeah, he can go get his own tree smoother.  Last time that I went to the Box store and asked if they had any tree smoothers, I got some really funny looks :D.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tacotodd

Most will probably send you to a small hand held piece if you asked about the real deal.    ::)
Trying harder everyday.

Cedarman

Years ago when asked to sell cheaper I would say I had kids in college, so what do you think.
When they had graduated I told the cheaper askers that the bank said I couldn't lower prices until they were paid off.
Now when they ask, I tell that I can get their order in a month to 3 months as we are backed up to next to infinity.
Now the only ones asking if I will discount are the ones who are afraid if they didn't ask and hear no and remove doubt, that I might have said yes.
It is a great time to saw and sell cedar.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Tacotodd

When I'm in a similar situation I tell people "a week from never"!  ;)
Trying harder everyday.

Magicman

Reading this topic is both alarming and amusing.  I realize that the examples being given are exceptions and not the normal, but they verify why and make me thankful that I sell nothing.  I have never been questioned about my sawing rates nor has any attempt been made to bargain those rates.  When talking to a potential customer you must sell yourself and your sawing services, not your rates.

I tell the ones that sound like "tire kickers" that they will have to remind me who they are if/when they decide to use my sawing services because at the moment I am unable to make any notes.  I can generally tell which ones will call back and there are some that do and some that do not.  Some "tire kickers" will become repeat customers.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bradm

Quote from: Magicman on June 09, 2021, 08:12:18 AM
When talking to a potential customer you must sell yourself and your sawing services, not your rates.
This is key.  Unfortunately, far too many potential customers (B2B mostly), and far too many vendors, approach these relationships in an adversarial manner.  The customer must get the best deal (cheapest rate) possible and the vendor must get the maximum out of the customer (never leave money on the table).

terrifictimbersllc

I sawed for a guy 2 weeks ago where we banged out 1900 actual BF of sawn wood from logs mostly 5-6 ft long and 30" diameter.

Really annoying sizes, a tree service tragedy,  but it worked mainly because of the help he provided.  

Anyway this was about twice the amount of wood I expected to see based on photos sent beforehand.  I had told him previously that the sawing would probably be accomplished within the minimum charge to his location, but the 1900 BF ended up being about twice as much, as I told him it would be when I arrived and saw that the pile was much bigger than I expected.  He profusely assured me it would be fine. He saw no reason to sign my agreement, had not read it in advance, did not want to hear me go through the details of it, showed me a big wad of cash he pulled from his pocket, and signed the agreement when I told him that this is how I do business.

The day went very well with him.  But when the bill came he asked for a discount.  I was surprised and just said NO, you got 1900 BF of accurately sawn wood for about 35 cents a bf from fat little logs, this is a bargain.

Then he said "how about I pay you cash and take $100 off?".  ($100 was more than the sales tax).  

I said no this is a legitimate business and I don't cheat the government.

He says "why not?".  

I don't hide my feelings well in these situations wish I could do better.   He backed off and said "it was just a question" and wrote me a check.

Now he's called back and we'll probably schedule another job week after next.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

I get the cash discount question a lot too. I also reply cash or check is the same to me as I report all sales and pay sales taxes on everything I sell whether it is $10 worth of slabs for kindling or $2,000 worth of mobile sawing.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!