Started by bulldozerjoe, June 11, 2021, 08:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldozerjoe

Looking for peavey, any recommendations
New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000
Sthil 021-028super-029-066

Southside

Logrite, look no further. Link on the side of the page. Multiple sizes available. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

Anything other than a logrite and you lose. Anyone that tells you different simply does not know what they are talking about and it is that simple.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

Think of it as an essential piece of sawmill safety equipment. When the point of the LogRite peavy or cant hook bites into the log it is either going to roll or the wood will give way first rather than slip which is what often happens with other brands. Trust me - you do not want your hook slipping when you are putting a lot of weight into turning a big heavy log.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Nebraska

Your chin will thank you!  Mine did..  Logrite only.

maple flats

Logrite, absolutely the best, accept no look alikes.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Patrick NC

I use a 60" logrite. I like the peavey over a cant hook because you can stick the point in the ground to stand it up vs leaning it on something or bending over to pick it up every time. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Wudman

You can bet your (whatever) on the Logrite.  It will bite and you won't break a handle when all of you is behind it.  Best hands down.

Wud
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Jeff

I always get a kick out of the idea that people like a peavey for its ability not related to working it. Namely sticking in the ground. I can see the prying and levering advantages for those that need it, but I just never needed or desired a kickstand for my canthook. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

That's a no-brainer: LogRite for all the reasons above.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

You know it is funny Jeff, I thought the same thing, but really needed the cant hook style so I got that. Now I find that I can usually stab that tip in the ground enough to make it stand anyway. So win-win. 8) 8)
 The nice thing about the cant hook style is that the dog end can catch right on the corner of most square cants, thereby minimizing any damage to the cant. Those cheapos have a sharp dog and I really hate finding the gouge it leaves in an otherwise perfect board.
The only question the OP really needs to answer is what style and what length does he need. I am loving my extreme duty 60" hook, but plan to add a 48" down the line.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Southside

A viable, quality, alternative would be to get a Logrite. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

60" regular LogRite peavey if you just want to get your show on the road. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

trimguy

I've tried the other ones, definitely get a Logrite. I have a 60" even though I don't use it as much with the hydraulics I still need one with the mill. Thinking of adding a 48" to it. Mine are cant hooks.

Patrick NC

Quote from: Jeff on June 11, 2021, 11:00:57 AM
I always get a kick out of the idea that people like a peavey for its ability not related to working it. Namely sticking in the ground. I can see the prying and levering advantages for those that need it, but I just never needed or desired a kickstand for my canthook. ;)
I sort of thought the ability to stand it where it's handy for me to grab it when I need it was a valid use. I do also pry and use it to turn logs, but the fact that it's standing there within arms reach is what I like best. Somehow my cant hook always finds its way to the ground or I have to walk a few extra steps to lean it on something. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

moodnacreek

Kinda hard to jump logs with a cant hook. Don't listen to me, go to a log rolling contest. I worked a wooden log deck for years and turned logs on the carriage all day long would not agree with any of the above but I have never used a portable band mill either.

maple flats

Logrite, peavy or cant hook, I have both (in 60"), I also have a 4' cant hook and a Monster one in 78" for the BIG logs. I prefer the cant hook but both do the job.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Gere Flewelling

My son is into woodsman's competitions and says his Grandfathers 100 year old peavey made in Maine is the best as it has just the right ark on the hook to catch and release when you are rushing to roll a pine log.   It has won him some first places. He also prefers to use it when helping me on the sawmill.  I think the main factor is the fact that Grampie gave it to him and told him some if it's history before he passed.  As for me, I like the Logrite's and will usually grab that one first.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

barbender

As far as the Peavey/Cant hook angle, I don't have anywhere handy to lean mine that it isn't in the way, I often use it to pry and leverage the end of a log to get it aligned with my mill, and I have hydraulics so I never need to turn a cant by hand. So it is Peavey, Peaveyn and Peavey for me😁 It's really just a matter of preference and difference in workflow, if I was turning cants on a mill bed I would say cant hook, because the peavey point gets in the way in that situation.
Too many irons in the fire

bulldozerjoe

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on June 11, 2021, 11:37:54 AM
You know it is funny Jeff, I thought the same thing, but really needed the cant hook style so I got that. Now I find that I can usually stab that tip in the ground enough to make it stand anyway. So win-win. 8) 8)
The nice thing about the cant hook style is that the dog end can catch right on the corner of most square cants, thereby minimizing any damage to the cant. Those cheapos have a sharp dog and I really hate finding the gouge it leaves in an otherwise perfect board.
The only question the OP really needs to answer is what style and what length does he need. I am loving my extreme duty 60" hook, but plan to add a 48" down the line.
Yes, I'm 6'2
New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: bulldozerjoe on June 11, 2021, 06:23:26 PM

Yes, I'm 6'2
Well your height doesn't really have anything to do with it. The size of the logs or cants your are turning does. The lignite hook have different sized hooks for different diameter logs. Check their website I am pretty sure it gives size ranges. Pick one that matches your needs and your logs.

bulldozerjoe

I just orderd the 60 inch for my 30 inch mill on trailer 
New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: bulldozerjoe on June 11, 2021, 06:37:58 PM
I just orderd the 60 inch for my 30 inch mill on trailer
Great choice! That's what I have, I got the extreme version (Yellow). You'll like either one.

dgdrls

to your left.  And if the planets align which they should this year
go the Boonville NY loggers festival and meet Tammy and Kevin.

Awesome tools!

D

Thank You Sponsors!