iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

electric feed question

Started by welderskelter, June 12, 2021, 04:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

My controller for my wheel chair motor feed on my mill just got here today. Was wondering after I get the feed speed set, then push the button to go forward is this thing going to jerk forward or would it be more of a soft start. Anybody know?

ladylake

I think you should set it to go forward then turn the feed speed up.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

welderskelter

Darn, I was hoping I wouldnt have to play with the speed for every board

JoshNZ

You never know your luck, with enough weight it might be smooth enough ramping up.

I bet you could add a little circuit between the speed knob and controller to ramp the signal. Seek out a friend who's into electronics/Arduino etc

Gere Flewelling

I have an electric feed on my mill controlled by a dial rheostat and a forward and reverse push button switch.  Like that tv commercial for the oven, "I just set it and forget it".  If you just get the carriage rolling a little ways back from the log you can feather it by pushing and releasing the forward button a couple of times and it can move smoothly into the cut.  Mine is not a wheel chair motor, but I suspect it is similar in operation.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Patrick NC

I think you will find yourself using the speed control all the time. I use mine on nearly every cut. Slow down on entry then speed up until the motor gets against the governor. Then slow again on the last couple of inches. Not to mention varying the speed as conditions dictate such as cutting through knots. Mine can be a little jerky when you start at full speed, and you certainly don't want to enter the log that fast. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Larry

With my first mill I had electric variable speed.  I would start into a log slow and speed up a little.  As soon as the blade cleared the log I raised the carriage and giged back at full speed.  So, I was turning the speed dial all the time which caused the rheostat to wear out.  When I replaced the first rheostat I rewired the control to bypass the rheostat on the gig back.  That greatly reduced how much I had to turn the speed knob.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Crossroads

I can't imagine not playing with the speed on pretty much every cut while breaking down a long. Once I start taking boards off the cant the speed don't change much though. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

kelLOGg

You definitely need speed control if for nothing but sawhead return. Plus what Crossroads said.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!