iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is the Woodwmizer Debarker worth the money?

Started by dogbo2013, June 13, 2021, 07:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogbo2013

I have ordered an LT40 and added the debarker, but now I'm wondering if it's worth the money. I have limited experience running an LT40 with a debarker, but it seemed to be more of a hassle than it was worth when I did. It was hard to adjust and keep adjusted to an irregular log. It bit in too far several times causing the blade to stop and trip the breaker. I know that it should help extend blade life, but how much? At almost $2000 for the upgrade, would it be cheaper to just replace the blade a little sooner?
GMB

Dan_Shade

The debarker significantly extends blade life.

I'm very glad that I have one on my LT-40 

Dan
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

I have found the debarker to be invaluable to me.  I would hate to saw without it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

With my portable sawing profile and always sawing customer's logs, I would hate to even think of sawing without a Debarker.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Takes a little while to figure out when it comes to adjusting the debarker, but it takes patience!

Once you figure it out, there's really nothing to it!

I'm very happy there's one on my mill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sixacresand

They should have called it a "de-dirter".  It definitely cleans up nastiness in front of the blade.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Southside

I removed the debarker on my 35 for a little while, the difference in band life was night and day. I use the one on my 70 constantly. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Stephen1

It does dig in and stop, trips the breaker, but most of the time it sprays chips and works great. I found that the breaker was weak and replaced it, reduced the amount of breaker tripping. I just upgraded to the 1/2" blade on my debarker. I ordered a new one so I can take the old one in for sharpening. I use mine all the time. I also modified mine in that I took the V yoke off so it will fit around the big ugly logs I mill

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Lasershark

We call the debarker a "mudsaw" around here. I find that I'm very active with the armature controls as I dodge knots and adjust tension to suit the diameter of the log. The only time I've had to reset the breaker was when I engaged the blade after the saw was in the wood. You want that thing spinning beforehand! And that means engaging the forward gear. 
2020 LT-50 Wide, 38 HP Gas, with debarker, lubemiser and operator's seat,  2002 Dodge Ram, Echo chainsaw, Ogam multi-rip Gang saw, Cook Manufacturing Sharpener/Setter Combo.  RS-2 resaw attachment.

SawyerTed

I'd say the debarker doubles sawing time on a blade sometimes more than doubles it. 

In some cases it saves a blade.  The gritty bark is one thing but dirt and small rocks can end a blade quickly. 

The debarker will pay for itself over the course of 3 or 4 boxes of blades.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

curved-wood

I have a debarker on my lt40 and I don't use it anymore. Most of my logs are bought in winter or with few professional loggers so the logs are clean. When I was on the road with the mill , a debarker is essentiel. Most people don't care about the gravel on their logs. I remember a customer had some logs so dirty , I asked how he skidded. Well, he had a small 9N Ford tractor nd very steep land, so at every bottom of the trail , he would slack the logs in the mud hole, and after the tractor was on top of the hill, he was winching the logs back. I don't know if you could skid some logs dirtier. Anyway, I don't use the debarker anymore. It's  always a matter of adjusting your production accordingly

OlJarhead

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: dogbo2013 on June 13, 2021, 07:25:27 AM
I have ordered an LT40 and added the debarker, but now I'm wondering if it's worth the money. I have limited experience running an LT40 with a debarker, but it seemed to be more of a hassle than it was worth when I did. It was hard to adjust and keep adjusted to an irregular log. It bit in too far several times causing the blade to stop and trip the breaker. I know that it should help extend blade life, but how much? At almost $2000 for the upgrade, would it be cheaper to just replace the blade a little sooner?
It depends on how much you'll saw and how much of that is not clean wood.  If you're in business the debarker and other upgrades pay for themselves over time some sooner than others.  If you're going to use 100 sharp blades over the life of your mill instead of 50 then probably not worth it.  If you use 50 sharp blades in a week or two then the debarker means a great deal less work and expense with blade maintenance.  And on top of that saves time during a sawing day not changing blades and not sawing slower to keep cuts flat.  It also improves the quality of your work.  If you fly through logs with flat cuts you can focus your attention on other sawing techniques that give better lumber. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Beavertooth

Had a LT40 without debarker  and have had a LT70 for 13 years with it .. Would definitely hate to have to saw without it ..   
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

barbender

Curved-wood, if you want to get that clunky ol' useless debarker off your saw head and lighten it up, I can get you my address. I will dispose of it properly😁
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Do you have photos of the mod you are speaking about?  How do you like the thicker blade?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Polish Hammer1

I saw with a low budget manual mill without a debarker and have sawn with an lt40 enough completely different  machines I know but band life is incredibly better with the lt40.. and that's with running the same red streaks bands on both

Crossroads

Before I got a mill with a debarker, I pressure eased every log. I like my debarker better   
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

dogbo2013

Thank you all for responding. I value and trust the opinions of this forum!
GMB

curved-wood

Quote from: barbender on June 13, 2021, 09:33:27 PM
Curved-wood, if you want to get that clunky ol' useless debarker off your saw head and lighten it up, I can get you my address. I will dispose of it properly😁
lol Ok I will think of you to get rid of my old clunky useless debarker 

Thank You Sponsors!