iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turning down Sawmill jobs left and right.

Started by derhntr, June 15, 2021, 10:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derhntr

I have been swamped with calls about milling.  Several big jobs scheduled for when I can get more blades. Lots of tire kickers as well as the 1-2 log jobs. ( they don't like the $300 Minimum charge) I have had my blade order in from one of our sponsors for over 3 weeks. Left message to check on order yesterday. Got the message please allow 6 - 8 weeks for delivery. Longest I have ever had to wait was a week even last summer. Thinking about looking at other band manufactures. It does my business no good to tell potential customers I will call them when I have more. 

I know about worker shortage as well as supply chain shortages. If this keeps up I may have to bite the bullet and buy a sharpener and setter to work on the over 100 used once bands.  

I have switched to WM Double Hard 7 degree and really like the performance on my LT40HD.  I have used 10, 9, and 4 degrees in the past and for select species. 

Which band manufacturer is having the quickest order fulfillment at this time?  
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

maple flats

I just ordered from Kenne, Saw & Supply. Great price and they seem to be able to ship faster, unless everyone switches to them.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

uler3161

Ordered 10 degree silvertips from WM last month. Dad ran double hards many years ago but he didn't think they were worth it so switched back. Anyway, the silvertips shipped 3 days after ordering. Was worried it'd be a serious wait but it wasn't. I was kind of surprised.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

Beavertooth

Why don't you send them to resharp verses buying new blades. I have talked to more than one person who just buys new blades instead of getting them sharpened. 
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

moosehunter

I called resharp to check on a box of blades I sent out 2 weeks ago. Was told they are backed up 4-5 weeks. Ok plan B, send me a new box of blades. 4-5 weeks! Doh! I have enough for this weekends job then may get a weekend or two off while I practice my patience. ( I got married 29 years ago, been " practicing my patience" ever sense)!
mh 

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

boonesyard

This blade thing is nuts. I've got new blades ordered (4-6 weeks), blades out for resharp (4-5 weeks), and I ordered a bms 250 sharpener/setter combo (maybe see it sometime in November). I guess I'll just have to slow down a little and take a deep breath. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

APope

Might be a good time to try learning to sharpen by hand...
Unafraid to use my chainsaw, JD 2640, Frontier OS31

farmfromkansas

When I searched U tube, found a couple simple ways to resharpen blades.  One was with a chainsaw sharpener. When I got tired of paying shipping, just called Cooks to find the closest Catsclaw sharpener.  30 miles away. Guy said yes, he would sharpen my blades.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

mike_belben

you guys just gonna sit and wait all month?  could do a lotta hand filing between now and then. 
Praise The Lord

boonesyard

Been doing some hand filing, slow. Sent a box of blades to a guy about 1-1/2 hrs away from here for sharpening, looking forward to give them a try, should have them back this weekend. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Southside

It's not only the filing, but the setting that has to be taken into account for a quality job.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

You can usually get away with a sharpening or two without setting, at least I can😊 A chainsaw grinder could work in a pinch for a face grind, after one or two of those you'd need them trued up. I believe EZ Boardwalk makes a sharpener that uses a chainsaw grinder. 

Mike, you can't file bands, at least with a regular metal file. The teeth are hardened to the same hardness as the files, you'd need a diamond file or something.
Too many irons in the fire

Larry

I find I only need to set about every third time I sharpen.  If you need a setter, the pineywoods setter is easy to build with just a few scraps of steel and welder.  Looks like it would only take a couple of hours to build.  Pretty low tech but I'm sure it will get a band to cut.

pineywoods setter

With a few metal working tools the WM single tooth setter can be cloned in half a day.

Sharpeners based on a chop saw, ras, or even a bench grinder have been made.  A good stone, diamond to shape the stone, and something to hold the band is about all that is needed.  Do a search right here on the forum and plenty will come up to study.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Southside

Maybe it's because I have one but I set bands every time they run through the sharpener.  For the most part they probably don't change much at all, but at least I know they are ready to cut when I pull them down.  On a day when I am on the mill the whole day I can go through 4 or 5 bands with just normal sawing.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

I'm not saying you're wrong, Southside. My method developed due to the fact that I amassed a ton of used bands before I was able to afford any sharpening equipment. When I could spring for it, I bought a sharpener first since I didn't have money for both. That set of circumstances determined that I would try to run my bands through the sharpener as many times as I could before they started acting up due to not having enough set left. They always cut smooth with a nice finish, but after 4 sharpenings they would be getting down to about .020 per side. Ok for oak but not pine😊 I guess what I'm saying is that poverty forced me to do some research😁 Anyhow, I don't see any difference in cutting at all going 3 to 1. If I'm running .055" blades, sharpening #3 is also when the buggers break, so I never have to worry about trying to bend those teeth (that look about like Chevy leaf springs) in my setter😁

Southside

I can see that.  For me, when I have 4 people behind the mill - not to get onto that tangent about nobody wanting to work any more these days - time becomes money quickly, so when I take the time to change a band I want it to be done and back to metal in wood fast.  Zero chance that - uggg - this band needs to go back and be tweaked.  

Most of what I saw has become pine so that might be a factor too.  Poverty is all about degrees.  Broken or replacement stuff just has more zeros behind the first number the more you climb it seems - the pain isn't relieved at all.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Oh having people on the clock changes everything! As far as that goes, I have been very short of time the last year, very busy with the mill, firewood, and trying to occupy my forwarder seat enough that the boss doesn't take my keys away😁 That said, I have been finding it much easier to hit the "purchase" button on Woodmizer's website for a box of new blades rather than sharpening, let alone setting, any of my existing used blades. I'll have lots of them to doctor up when things slow down, maybe a lifetime supply😊

Larry

Ordered Kasco 1-1/2", 7 degree, .050 bands 6/2/2021 and got them today 6/25/2021.  They do not stock this size for my mill so have to make them which I would guess adds a few days in the process.  Pretty close to the normal interval.  Works well for me.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

trapper

sent blades to woodmizer resharp june 9  june 25 notified they were done and on the way back.  fast enough for me.  
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!