iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Uses for live edge cut offs? Art? Projects?

Started by ray299, August 04, 2021, 10:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ray299

Let's see pictures of what you guys use the live edge trimmings like these for... All I can think of is flower boxes. LOL what else can I do with this stuff? Seems a shame to burn this... This is just a sample but you guys get the idea... Pictures/ideas please.

btulloh

HM126

boonesyard

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Crusarius

I don't have a picture but alot of times good stuff like that gets cut into 16" pieces using the chop saw and then placed into the wood stove.

I did start making a bunch of thin 1/2 to 5/8" thick cuts instead of taking a big slab. Makes nice craft wood if you want to make signs or sell the craft wood for other ppl to make signs.

rastis

I stand it up next to the barn and offer it for free to those who buy slabs

WV Sawmiller

Some of the larger pieces might make a pretty bench if they have a face 6" or wider. 

Several of these including the one in front were made from cut off slabs that I thought were just too pretty to burn. I do find I need at least 2" thickness to get my tenons to hold in the mortises.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Downstream

here is an item that I made from some burn pile walnut live edge.  Donated to local hospital for their new chapel.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Downstream

Here is a sign I carved for my original hobby business out of a scrap piece of cherry.  I became a bit of a live edge hoarder. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Downstream

Here is the last idea for now.  I would make these spine shelves with leftover pieces and cookies.  Great way to use cookies that have split by cutting them to remove the split.

DocGP

Wonderful ideas, but I am enough of a hoarder already!!!  

If I go to saving that stuff, my wife will kill me FOR SURE!!

Doc
Ole Country Vet
LT 50 HDD
MX 5100 for the grunt work
Stihl MS 261 C-M

Larry

I used to have a biker girl friend.  She was also a superb wood burning artist.  She went through my burn pile on a regular basis and picked out interesting slabs.  I ran the face across the jointer and she wood burned mostly biker scenes.  Sold some of them for high dollar.  Wish I had pictures.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

squarpeg

Not a great picture but I sided the gable ends of my log home with slabs. I was very poor then. trying to figure out how to pay for siding. There was a guy that had a local mill and I could take all the slabs I wanted. took them home, most of the bark had fallen off. Didn't even own a table saw back them. Snapped a chalk line and ripped them with a circular saw. Put some black plastic up over the plywood and nailed them up in sort of random funky patterns. Not for everyone, but it was free. 

Old Greenhorn

I missed this thread when I was busy packing and going to the pig roast, sorry.
You can use lots of parts of live edge stuff. I use the cut offs from planed live edge stuff for nick knacks and things in case I ever do a show. Many I just give away to clients who bought other stuff.
 Tablet or phone stand.

Business card stand.

I rarely throw any of these out if the wood is good. I just throw them in a box and do a mess of them at the end of a workday when the right machines are setup. It takes minutes and you should be able to get 5-10 bucks a pop for decent looking and finished wood. I finish these at the same time I am doing the finishing on a main project using whatever I was using on that project. Nothing special.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

I'm thinking you could use small pieces for drawer or door pulls and such too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

squarpeg

Probably not relevant for most slabs, but my grandmother used to have a camp in the Adirondack mountains.  The old lake camps built in pre 1940's were framed and then sheathed in slabs. The wood was spruce. They are really cool and rustic looking. I asked one time why the bark never came off and I was told they had to be cut in the dead of winter. I do not know if that is true. Back then, in that place and time, I am sure they probably did log in the winter with horses. Not much damage to skidding things out. I have always been fond of the look. 

Thank You Sponsors!