iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Careful rotating cants....

Started by stanmillnc, August 17, 2021, 04:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stanmillnc

Logs and cants are heavy and unforgiving when your appendages are involved - manually rotated an 8x8 cant right on top of my middle finger. Crushed it between the cant and the mill bed, essentially exploding my fingertip. Fortunately the bone was still intact and they were able to sew it back on. Not a fun experience - a result of trying to rush and get my order finished before the impending storm rolled in. Trying to shave seconds of mill time cost me 6+ hours in the ER plus a medical bill that far outweighs the $350 wood order - lesson learned.

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

I won't need to remind you not to do that again. You will remind yourself every time you bump that finger for the next year+ I bet.

Sorry for the pain and suffering. I hope it heals completely with no permanent effect.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

jrsloan1

I just have to say it,  dang that hurts!!!

Good luck on your recovery.
Never trust nobody cause you can't fix stupid!!!

Ron Scott

~Ron

Don P

Yowzers  :o You tree frogged that!
How is the nail?

Magicman

Yikes, I concede !!!  This is a race that I do not want to win.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Dude!  That so makes my finger ache!  Not good.  It will be very obvious if you do a one finger wave.

doc henderson

pretty!  if you do the one finger wave, it will look like an explanation mark.!!!   :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Texas Ranger

Been there done that.  I still feel mild pain years after chopping up my fingers.  Some time it feels like the stitches still in.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Andries

There's a bunch of 8x8 oak timbers in my near future.
Thanks for the (grisly) reminder to respect the product. 
Best wishes for a quick recovery. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

olcowhand

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery; depending on health and other conditions, not all these repairs result in success. I humbly suggest you think positive thoughts about recovery, and focus on healthy living until you're sure of the recovery. I say this because I've seen otherwise successful re-attachments go into the ditch due to neglect (one instance of a right thumb re-attached and the Doc told my buddy to stop smoking for a month or so; but "Lefty" didn't do it......).
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Peter Drouin

Hope you heal up fast. Next time use a can-dog or a peve.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

mike_belben

Dang that is a doozy. Real sorry to see that.

A friend of mine crushed 3 last year when a rear axle pinned his hand to the garage floor for a few hours alone and out of reach of his cel. 

Be careful folks, think all your moves through 

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!