iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Blade Guide Arm Motor

Started by KirkD, August 26, 2021, 03:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KirkD

Just ordered a replacement from Woodmizer of the newer style motor #079215, installed it and worked great until the first cut and it would not move. Had to pull it back off because the set screw had backed out. It was obvious it was not tight. sigh
My question is the sprocket has a hole in each side for a set screw and the shaft has a hole in it to line up with. Does anyone know if there should be one in both sides? Seems like there should be if there are 2 threaded holes with all the trouble in past with the shear pin. I called Woodmizer tech and he did not know much about it and said one should be fine. He did not even know the set screw was tapered on the end to fit in the hole and suggested I find one at True Value.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

GAB

Be very careful with that little motor.
Last year (2020) on a job I sheared the shaft off and the customer found the sprocket and part of the shaft on the ground.
After replacing with a new motor and sprocket I had the broken one welded as a spare.
Look at the shaft size and the through hole diameter and there isn't much metal left to carry the load.
If my memory serves me correctly I put in two set screws so the load would be on both sides and not only on one side of the shaft.
GAB

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

There is a shoulder rather than a taper on the end.  Yes, you need two, one from each side, and they need to be TIGHT e/w blue Loctite.  I kinda doubt that a hardware store would have them.

I had Wood-Mizer to send me 6.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

KirkD

You are correct MM it is a shoulder. So do you have a part number handy? The guy I talked to was clueless about it being special that is why I came here. I had this gut feeling it should have two. 

KirkD

Update: Our magnet out of the barn we use to find horseshoe nails with found the 2nd set screw right in the area I thought it would be. So I will pull it again which I will have to because the new chain I ordered for it did not come with a master link in it.... Would have been nice to know that when I ordered it. Woodmizer must be having some turnover I did not get the warm fuzzy feeling of caring like in the past.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: GAB on August 26, 2021, 04:24:17 PMLook at the shaft size and the through hole diameter and there isn't much metal left to carry the load.
Something similar.  I have an antique hand-crank boring machine (drill press) for doing my timber framing.  I have a 2" auger chucked up in it.  It has a 3/8" square head bolt to lock the shaft in place in the "chuck" (1.5" round stock with a hole in it).  For some reason, the bit had a through hole (for a pin?) about 1/2" from the top end.  As luck would have it, the bit would only go so far into the chuck and the bolt hit the hole a little high.  After drilling countless holes, I was drilling an 8" deep one and the bit broke at the hole.  That was fun getting it out.  I welded a solid piece of rod to the bit cut it to length and ground a slight flat on it to keep it from spinning in the chuck.  Works great again.  I'm at a loss as to why would anyone drill a hole through a shaft that is subject to high torque loads?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

CCCLLC

I think it is a carry over from when there was simply a split pin in there, but yes, a bad design.

Magicman

OK, here is the package and maybe I got 10.

I always carry a nail finder magnet and I have used it many times.

Yes, sadly there has been a serious employee turnover and some of the parts folks are not all technicians as they once were.

Be sure to thoroughly clean the shaft and screws with Brake Cleaner, etc. and use Blue Loctite.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: KirkD on August 26, 2021, 04:29:41 PM
You are correct MM it is a shoulder. So do you have a part number handy? The guy I talked to was clueless about it being special that is why I came here. I had this gut feeling it should have two.
Fwiw online Woodmizer parts finder for my old lt40 super 2001 shows 6/11 upgrade to set screws F05004-274 and sprocket P09970. Says the sprocket comes with the screws (plural) and the picture shows two screws. However the quantity listing just shows one for the screw quantity. If your mill is newer than 6/11 this should be listed in your parts manual that comes with the mill.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

KirkD

Quote from: Magicman on August 26, 2021, 05:17:42 PM
OK, here is the package and maybe I got 10.

I always carry a nail finder magnet and I have used it many times.

Yes, sadly there has been a serious employee turnover and some of the parts folks are not all technicians as they once were.

Be sure to thoroughly clean the shaft and screws with Brake Cleaner, etc. and use Blue Loctite.
Thank you! I got it on my list for my next order and already have a tube of blue loctite.

Crossroads

The turn over is unfortunate, I had an issue a while back and was trying to explain it to the fellow, but he kept cutting me off and interrupting me. That will get me riled up every time and that's when my volume goes up and someone comes to an understanding of how rude it is to interrupt someone, especially a customer. Hopefully I solved that problem for the next caller, but I doubt it. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

TimW

I talked to one of Woodmizer's experienced parts guys today.  I told him I was sent the wrong fuel filters.  I was sent Tier 3 filters and use Tier 4 filters.  He told me he had to do 6 months of internship with a parts guy before being turned loose on us customers.  Now it's just 2 weeks of sitting in on customer's phone calls, then they are turned loose.

I give them my customer number (so they can verify what mill I have....even after telling them)  and they still can't get the right.

My tier 4 Yanmar on the mill is way more finicky with water in the fuel than any of my 5 pre tier 4 diesels.  None of them have fuel/water filters or even moisture traps.
hugs, Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Thank You Sponsors!