iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best vertical chainsaw mill???

Started by Jfalcon8411, September 22, 2021, 01:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jfalcon8411

Hurricane ida dropped a bunch of trees on my property!
I'm ready to start milling. 
   I need to know the best type of (Mill chain) guide chain for hardwoods(20"Bar/50cc Saw) also I need a vertical chainsaw mill and need suggestions. Please and thank you..

VB-Milling

Why a vertical CSM setup over the traditional Alaskan style horizontal setups?

What diameter of trees are you looking to mill?  With a 20in bar, you'll be limited to about 16in of actual cut with most setups.

Have you looked into ripping chains that fit your chainsaw?

What is your powerhead?  You said 50cc.  What brand?  Few, if any, 50cc powerheads are up to the challenge of milling.  I wouldn't even consider trying unless the hurricane dropped a bunch of 8in diameter trees.  Hardwood to boot?  You definitely like a challenge.
HM126

sawguy21

What he said. You won't last long trying to rip with that saw. Your best bet is a bandsaw mill or if it is a one time job hire a portable sawyer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

longtime lurker

Westford Rail Mill is the best chainsaw milling setup I've ever seen, availability in the US might be an issue (or not, never know, its only an email to find out right?) Way superior to an alaskan style setup.

http://www.westfordmills.com.au/home.htm

But like the other guys have said, you'd need about double the amount of saw than you currently have to get anywhere.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

SawyerTed

What is your goal for the product you want to produce?  A chainsaw mill has it's uses and at times is clearly the right tool for the job.  Producing some hobby lumber, turning blanks, live edge 8/4 and up, mantles or producing beams are the type of things a CSM will do well enough.  

BUT "a bunch of trees" isn't very descriptive of the trees and leaves us needing more information.  You mention hardwood - you are going to need a bigger boat saw.  

If you have more than a handful of logs and you intend on producing much 4/4 or 5/4 or dimensional lumber, a CSM will do it but it will be laborious and time consuming.  I know, I started out with a CSM and quickly found it didn't meet my purposes.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

doc henderson

at least a CSM is available now and not touting a 1 year + wait list.  I hope you are in your 20s.  you can give it a try and can see how it goes.  to do it "right" meaning not ruining a smaller saw bar and chain, you will have several thousand wrapped up in a saw.  I bought a chainsaw mill for my 046 mag and a 36 inch bar 30 years ago.  how does it work?  I do not know, it is still in the box.  We have a Christian school nearby.  they dropped some oak trees. and I stopped to inquire.  another parent had already asked for them.  every night after he got off work, he was there till dark milling slabs off the 2 logs.  It took him 4 nights to mill two logs.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

A "beam machine" and a stihl 029. Started me down this path....

Greenhighlander

I have been very happy with my Jobber running a 395xp with ripping chain.    

Thank You Sponsors!