iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I like to see the same thing when sawing SYP, especially Longleaf.  The sap hardens a bit and does not make quite the mess.

I am on my 4th week in the "sand box" sawing mostly Oak but also Sweetgum, Pecan, Hickory, and Elm, all being sawn into posts/timbers.

This is also my 4th week staying in the exact same room in the Hampton Inn.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

I was thinking about you yesterday as I had some logs with dried sandy mud on them and I had to put in more time than I wanted with a wire brush getting the bulk off and trusting the debarker for the rest. Not fun.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

VB-Milling

Too pretty not to share in the whatcha sawin thread...

Last night in some very foul weather. I just couldn't wait to saw it up!

HM126

Andries

Look at that colour, very nice!
Even the siding on the building is in the pink! 😋
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

VB-Milling

Quote from: Andries on October 04, 2022, 11:21:37 AM
Look at that colour, very nice!
Even the siding on the building is in the pink! 😋
I always make sure to hose that off  :laugh:
HM126

cutterboy

VB, nice cant, nice color. I love the look of a good cant.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

cutterboy

Quote from: Magicman on October 04, 2022, 07:50:15 AM

This is also my 4th week staying in the exact same room in the Hampton Inn.  ;D
It must be like a 2nd home to you by now. :D 
My wife and I like the Hampton Inns too. The bedding and pillows are so comfortable!

fluidpowerpro

Quote from: barbender on October 03, 2022, 11:46:14 PM
They look really fresh cut, mine have typically "aged" a bit, I'm sure that has something to do with how sticky they are. Balsam fir is another one where when you blink, your eyes want to stick shut😂
Yes, the tree was taken down less than a week prior and the sap was still oozing out of the ends.
The next time I have an opportunity to cut wp, I'll make sure I suggest we give it some time for the sap to harden.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Magicman

This is one reason that I have dirty/sandy logs.  Most of the trees are excavated and tipped over keeping the root ball with the tree.  The stumps must be removed anyway and this is certainly the easiest way.

Two good Red Oaks, both of which made two 16X16's plus a 12X12. They are already getting dirty.  :-X

Bucking them to length.

Nothing left but firewood.  You can see the sandy dirt.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cutterboy

Magicman, are you near a large river? I'm just wondering why all the sand? Or does Mississippi dirt tend to be sandy?

Magicman

No river and very hilly and no clay nor rocks.  I have no idea why this is and since you asked,  I may have to do some geographic research.  It is very unlike any of the rest of the state that I am familiar with, which is about all of it.  ;D

It's also very dry and the road beside me is horribly dusty.  I'm about wearing my "sawdust" mask continually because of the dust.

I only have two more logs to saw this morning, so they will be knocking down trees and I will probably be bucking a couple of hours this morning but it all pays the same.   ::)

doc henderson

we have sandy areas here and salt 600 feet down.  lots of shale below grade that messes with water table and our water wells.  we used to be underwater back when there was an ocean here.
Out two breweries are sand hills, and salt city, and our winery is inland ocean.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Dave Shepard

My wireless remote has an e-stop button. Kills everything but the engine. I was talking to Jim Brown at WM years ago and had him convinced all mills should have an e-stop button, but it never happened. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

fluidpowerpro

I felt the same way so I added my own e-stops. One on each corner of the mill head. Its not hard to do....

Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Brad_bb

White oak. One down, three to go.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

DWyatt

Brad will that stay as a octagon or are you preparing for some RRQSing?

Bruno of NH

Sawing nothing fancy pallet logs ash and red oak .
4x4 and 3x6 for the bridge company 
Making firewood pallets for customers and pallets for the bridge company. 

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

More "sand box" for me today.

First thing was knocking down a couple of SYP trees for some 4X4's

Bucking and hauling them out with the excavator.

The 4X4's.

Some of the stacks of timbers.  Yup I know, I have told the customer numerous times to not cover the stacks with plastic, especially clear plastic.  :-X

Each one will become a "greenhouse".  Thankfully it's shady and cooler weather is coming, but moisture is still accumulating under the plastic.  ::)

A logging trailer load of logs came in after I left this afternoon so I should have enough to saw for these last two days.

Brad_bb

@DWyatt  RRQS

One of my red oaks Apparently had some of those big worms that magic man likes to eat.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

My customer bought 19 logs yesterday, some good and some not so much.

A 44" butt log ready to be loaded after Bibbying.

This one will make your eyes hurt.  :)

I'm in a situation where I will now have to work Saturday to finish.  ::)

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

I see some of your logs are already "pre-drilled" for conduit plumbing lines or such or such. :D

I forgot to take my camera but went to a new customer 16 miles up the road and sawed 1915 bf of poplar. Mostly 16' 2X6s (In WV that means full dimension 2"X6" - very seldom to I get asked to saw dimensional sizes around here) and 4/4 boards. The customer was 74 and his older brother was his helper. They did not move super fast but we averaged over 315 bf per engine hour which is pretty good for 3 old men. The job was a referral from the customer's son who works at the local industrial JD and forestry dealer and got my name from a co-worker I sawed for last year.

When done and paid and loaded I stopped at our son's house I had passed on the way up. I set up and sawed one 85 bf WO into 4/4 boards. I have been having a problem with the key sticking in the start position and I think I damaged my starter. I don't know what else it could be. I am still hooked up and I'll try to check with my small engine guru in the morning before we leave to the Paul Bunyun show. Normally he has same to next dat delivery on most Kholer parts so maybe he can fix it or get the parts for me to fix it early next week. I'm thinking it should be a quick and easy fix but I've been wrong before.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

1720bf  of pondo today, mostly these 1x4s but some 2xs 6xs and live edge too ;)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Ventryjr

Cutting hemlock for my buddys floor framing. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Daburner87

Whatcha sawin?  Nothing.  I finally got covid. After being careful and dodging it the last two or so years my entire family got it.  I got it the worst though.  I was coughing so violently Tuesday night I actually threw my back out.  Same old herniated disc that's bothered me for years. Just never happened while coughing before.  I was coughing up blood off and on for about 12 hours.   My throat was very much raw.   Finally feel like I'm coming out of it.   I can see why this virus claimed a lot of lives.  I am vaccinated, but passed on the boosters.  I wish I would have been full boosted looking back.  Anyway got a customer wanting a 9ft slab of red oak and I got just the log.  Maybe Sunday.....
HM130Max Woodlander XL

beenthere

Daburner, reminded me to call to schedule a booster. thanks, as I hope to avoid what you just went through. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!