iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member with Norwood Frontier OS23 on order

Started by txbonds, January 29, 2022, 06:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txbonds

Just joined the forum recently.  My Dad and I split a small hobby mill to use on our 62 acre tree farm.  Mostly Yellow Pine, but there are some varieties of oak, poplar and other odd stuff in the mix.  A large pine for us now-a-days is 18", but we've had larger in the past.  

Anyway, after lots of reading, comparing the individuals models, the potential delivery dates, payment methods accepted, company behind the saw, etc., we ended up deciding on a Frontier OS23 with a 10hp Briggs.  We ordered the auto blade lube option with it.  

It was a draw between the HM122 with 9.5 Kohler and this OS23.  It came down to splitting hairs at the end as they appear to be very similar units.  From what I gather, the HM122 garners lots of respect around here so hopefully the OS23 lives up to that level as well.

Look forward to getting lots of good information here and sharing in the forum.  My first question and need for help is that I'm looking for feedback on blades.  Frontier is out of blades so we are looking at Cooks as they offer a 10 pack of blades sized for the OS23 which look nice.  Any thoughts?

Thank you.

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

KenMac

I have no experience with any blades other than Cook's. I use the Super Sharp 1 1/2" on my AC36 and are satisfied with them.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

APope

I have found a better selection for my OS31 blades through Cook's and Woodmizer.
Currently running WM doublehard .045 on 4 degree. Have been cutting some SYP that required first removing the flare at the base to clear...
Unafraid to use my chainsaw, JD 2640, Frontier OS31

txbonds

Oh, cool, thank you. My Dad ended up ordering a 10 pack of the Cooks Super Sharp blades while i was posting my initial post. Jumped the gun a little but sounds like he made a good choice.  Thanks again for the confirmation. 

Will check out the woodmizer blades too. It's funny, we also looked at the woodmizer entry mill but didn't want to wait 22 months for it. The model Frontier we picked was 6 weeks and the HM122 models are 4 to 12 weeks for estimated shipping. 

txbonds

Wanted to share a few pictures.  I stuck the chainsaw on top of the logs for size reference.  If you are familiar with the size of the Stihl MS261 it gives an idea of how large or small these logs are.  The two larger have been laying on the ground for 6 to 12 months.  The small ones are green.  

In anticipation of getting the OS23 mill, we did some initial site prep.  This area was hit by a micro burst or maybe a small tornado about 5 to 10 years ago and all of the trees in this small area were knocked down.  Made a perfect starting area to easily clear the few stragglers and start staging.  

Plan is to open it up a little wider and to punch through the back left corner to connect to an existing road so that we can come in one side and out the other.  Should make logistics easier when transporting logs.  Also planning to mount the mill on wood beams for a semi permanent install.  Will probably build a lean to on one end to roll the carriage into but not cover the whole track.

I'm certainly open to any tips at this point since we are just starting.  Thanks.

Gere Flewelling

I am a fan of Cooks 1 1/4 Supersharp blades and use them exclusively.  Tried a couple Timber Wolf blades once.  Decided to stay with Cook's brand.  I have sawed white pine, oak, ash, elm, and hemlock with good success.  They don't saw nails any better than any other blades though. ;)
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

thecfarm

You will need something to turn those logs on the mill. Get yourself a Logrite cantdog or peavey, sponsor on the left. They do cost, but it will last for years if used the way it was designed to be used. All made in the USA and nice people too.    logrite_cool
You will like sawing!!!
How are you getting the logs out of the woods?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

txbonds

Quote from: thecfarm on January 30, 2022, 06:28:46 PM
You will need something to turn those logs on the mill. Get yourself a Logrite cantdog or peavey, sponsor on the left. They do cost, but it will last for years if used the way it was designed to be used. All made in the USA and nice people too.    logrite_cool
You will like sawing!!!
How are you getting the logs out of the woods?
Thanks.  We have a larger homemade cant hook for logs on the ground and I had already ordered a 28" woodmizer steel cant hook for turning logs on the mill.
As far as getting logs out of the woods, it will be a combination of methods.  We have the John Deere 310K 4x4 backhoe, a John Deere 5045 tractor, a John Deere gator, a Polaris Ranger, etc.  Lot's of vehicles with winches, chains, straps and rigging.  Plus multiple 10 to 14 foot long trailers.  Right now though, we will be working to pickup logs around our perimeter road that are easy to reach.  Lot's of stuff on the ground from storms and road clearing.  Also, we have some older trees that should be a little larger that have come down, or are in need of being brought down due to damage or whatnot.  Shouldn't have any trouble getting materials out of the woods and from around the property.  I've been trying to decide if a skidded trailer would serve any benefit but with the backhoe I don't have any real problems moving material around so far.  I'm sure there will be a learning curve.  

Thank You Sponsors!