The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Food trucks anyone?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Food trucks anyone?
« on: May 12, 2022, 08:27:51 PM »
I'd seen about food trucks on the news but never stopped at one until today. Our local Volunteer Fire Department is having food trucks one evening,4-7 pm, each month as a fund raiser with the fire company getting a percent of sales so good citizens that we are the wife and I stopped in and had some pit-beef sandwiches from one truck, french fries from another truck and hit a third truck for a milkshake. Everything was good and there were also taco, oriental wak, hot dog/burger trucks and something else I don't remember so next month we'll try something else to support the Fire Company.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
Re: Food trucks anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 05:24:40 AM »
There is a bunch of them parked in the next town from The City.
There is even one in the small town that I work in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline aigheadish

• Senior Member x2
  • Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 06:43:39 AM »
These newfangled food trucks (within the past 10 years or so, it seems) all tend to produce a pretty tasty variety of stuff. We've been to a few food truck rallies and I'm rarely disappointed. 

Several times, I've come very, very close to getting into the food truck game. Once I really started looking into it while you can get in cheap, if you are handy and want to fix a bunch of stuff, for around 10k, but then you'll probably quickly be another 10k to get up and running. To start with a clean truck and newish equipment you quickly get into the 50k+ range and have to be prepared to work and work and work. 

I could still, with a partner or two, talk myself into starting a breakfast truck pretty quickly. Unfortunately, to be successful, you have to find a prime spot no one else is. I don't know that anyone else is doing a high quality breakfast truck but that and a nearby office park or factory could be money. My factory just closed it's cafeteria and it certainly makes me think, but we don't have a large enough staffing level to make it work, I don't think, even though you can mark up a good plate of eggs a lot, especially if I had a few handfuls of chickens...
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 07:43:53 AM »
They certainly are not the old roach coach.
Some great chewing comes from food trucks.
Most of the local breweries have them on nights and weekends, they shuffle them around so there is always a different choice.
They do have to work out of a brick and motar restaurant though where the food prep is supposed to be done.
The First 69 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Bert

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 02:57:21 PM »
They are catching on around here as well. I have two food truck vendors as firewood customers. Kinda makes me think about the old value add question. How do you take wood and process it and add more value? Maybe burn it and make a grilled half chicken is the answer.
Saw you tomorrow!

Offline snobdds

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 03:59:13 PM »
It started last summer, but my company brings in a new food truck every Wednesday and pays for lunch.  It was a hit, but free stuff is always a hit.  

A lot of times the food truck is just slammed and service is slow.  There was even a time they ran out of food before noon.  

I did, however, get the best birra tacos I've ever had on a food truck.  If I ever see that truck around town, I will stop what I'm doing and turn around and get me some birra tacos.   :D

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 06:53:17 PM »
What is a birra taco ?
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 02:19:28 PM »
Depending on who you ask: r.e. Birria- The beef in the taco is a stew meat vs. more typical spiced ground beef-> or it's goat meat stew. Ancho peppers and other spices would be common ingredients in the stew. Very strong flavors are involved. 

My version: In my many motorcycle miles of Mexico and all other trips down there, I avidly avoid anything made with meat from goats or sheep, I flat don't like the stuff! Spice and such it still has a whang that I cannot swallow.   
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2022, 02:26:03 PM »
We have zero food trucks in my county. Not much for restaurants period. I will say this- Once in Birmingham, AL my son took me to the best burrito in town via a food truck in DT area.
The line was long! 
If you're a baseball fan-It was close to the very close to the Negro League Baseball Museum there. It's not only free admission, it's an extremely good museum! The best Satchel Paige exhibit you'll ever see. You can even bat against him in a neat techy gizmo they have setup. I saw him pitch when I was a kid in KC, MO when the team was still Charley Finley's KC  Athletics. He brought up and activated 3 HOF players as a means to boost attendance.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Food to fuel, just a sign of whats to come. Limits on purchasing food.

Started by johncinquo on General Board

62 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 04:55:35 PM
by Larry
xx
Some more NZ log trucks.

Started by Ianab on Forestry and Logging

36 Replies
Last post December 31, 2022, 03:28:20 PM
by Riwaka
xx
How many trucks ?