iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Underwater weed cutting

Started by Jeff, June 20, 2022, 05:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I thought I would share my video about coming up with and using my latest DIY tool to help me maintain this little woodland wildlife pond. I just love to look for unknown tunes to add when I'm putting together a cabin video, so music is a bonus eh? ;) I hope you enjoy how I came up with this method to cut the weeds off in the deeper water of my small pond. You all know I'm a huge fan of repurposing stuff!
DYI Underwater Pond Weed Cutter - YouTube
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

Love the shirt!  "Represent"!  nice job.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

Next time you could weight it down or use a heavy piece of metal and pull it with your UTV or winch

Jeff

I'm thinking of cuttin a v in it. It actually worked pretty good compared to raking.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

very pretty area.  you are blessed.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

Jeff, I have one of those weed razors you can find on the internet. They work very well. They have enough heft on the business end that you secure the rope to yourself and chuck the razor side out, and there is probably a 5 foot long pole attached to aim your throw a bit. The instructions say to pull back in with a jerking motion, like setting the hook on a fish, and that'll get the razor up off the bottom and slice through things. The v is pointed at the operator, so maybe not the way that seems intuitive. The blades are indeed razor sharp so it's a bit of a death trap.

Your solution looks significantly less expensive (mine cost about 120 bucks) and my guess is you could put a reasonable edge on there if there isn't one already.

Your little pond is nice! Beware, I assume you know but that is a never ending job! 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

caveman

Jeff, getting a pond cleaned out is a lot of work but rewarding when done.  Thank you for sharing your video.  

I was bass fishing in a lake in Winter Haven last summer when I saw a yard crew running Stihl weed eater that was evidently equipped with metal blades, wading the lake, cutting the reeds off at the bottom.  They were in 4' of water or so.  

Several years ago, my pond was choked up with floating masses of weeds.  After growing weary of using a potato rake and pulling the stuff into a canoe and even sinking a canoe when I overloaded it with weeds and once, inadvertently pulling a snake into the canoe with me, I cobbled up a rake for the front of the tractor.  It worked much better than the potato rake.  I learned it was strong enough to pull but not lift.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!