iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of tree is this?

Started by Mikeme, July 01, 2022, 03:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikeme

We had a large oak cut down, and the tree crew cut down this small tree/bush too, to make room for their trucks.  The tree is only 3' now. It grew from the stump. The stump is approx 1.5" in diameter.
I'll post more pictures below.

Mikeme

The leaves look big, because the tree's so small I guess, and because its a more mature tree than it looks -it was cut off an inch from ground.
The leaves are approx 1.75" x 1.25"

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Mikeme

Texas Ranger
I'm in Mint Hill, NC. Near Charlotte.

Swamp Donkey
It doesn't produce any flowers nor fruit.

I think this tree will be hard to ID, because like I told in the OP, what you all are looking at in the pictures are the sprouts from the stump --around 2 years of growth since it was cut down, from a trunk that's approx 1" from ground, and approx 1.5" in diameter.

There's another one just like it, that was cut off an inch from the ground at the same time. Maybe you guys will be able to tell more from the other one. See more pictures below.
In the first 2 pictures you can see the stump, then the new limbs sprouting out of it. Same picture, just one zoomed in to show stump.

Mikeme

Here's a couple more pictures, but I don't think they're even as good as the first pictures.  Thanks for looking and trying to help, guys.

Ianab

Sorta looks like a camellia too me?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Long skinny tip buds would say wild raisin. It seems to have a bush habit. That one photo with the tall sucker and all the side shots reaching for dominance is a bush habit. They don't flower until they get real bushy.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

trimguy

It looks like Carolina Laurel cherry to me. 

caveman

Camelia would be serrated, and Carolina Laurel Cherry would be alternately arranged and likely have some leaves with serrations.  It resembles Japanese privet but does not exactly match up but I suspect it is a woody ornamental nursery plant common to your area.  Maybe a Tea Olive (Osmanthus sp.).
Caveman

WDH

It look to me to be some type of introduced exotic and not a native plant. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Quercusrubrum

Definitely agree with SwampDonkey. Wild Raisin. 
Never cross a river that is 4 feet deep on average.

aigheadish

Looks like the Ficus bonsai I've bought and killed several times...
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

firefighter ontheside

Perhaps some sort of euonymus.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

fluidpowerpro

Those leaves and bark look exactly like a Service Berry tree I recently identified on my property. If you never actually see any berries its because the birds get them right away even before they are ripe.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Thank You Sponsors!