iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

100VAC Makita 7104 Chain mortiser in the US 120VAC grid

Started by Ginger Johnny, August 20, 2022, 06:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger Johnny

I am considering purchasing a used Makita 7104 chain mortiser, but I am concerned that the 100VAC motor designed for the Japanese power grid might not be suited for the 120VAC grid we have in the US. 

I would be very interested in hearing the stories from those of you who have relevant experience. 

Prizl tha Chizl

This might not answer your question, but at least you’ll  know that you’re not alone in asking it.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=118463.0 after reading this thread I felt comfortable that the voltage issue was a non issue, but in the end my nervousness in dealing with eBay combined with my thoughts about the economics of the used ones pushed me to pony up for a shiny new one from Timberwolf Tools.

If you do end up buying the eBay Japanese machine, let us know how it works for you.
Good Luck!
"The Woods Is My Church"

kantuckid

Google has much content toward your question. The answer is a variable depending on the motor or appliance involved. The first line of conversation I saw was from a US citizen commenting on that very situation with voltages in Japan.
I used search terms: "100volt tools in 110volt outlets?" 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!