iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Apple sauce!

Started by Jeff, August 21, 2022, 08:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

We have an apple tree here at the cabin that is a very early variety.  The apples are ripe and falling from the tree, usually by the third week in August, and usually I only get what the coons and the deer dont, which is usually nada! This year I was waiting. So far I have made 11 quarts of the best applesauce you could ever eat!! 6 more quarts last night, and my taste test for breakfast this morning proves, THAT YES, IT IS GREAT!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

kantuckid

"From here" that looks like a "June apple" which is an "August apple" in the UP? That variety is long gone from the trees here in KY by now.  
In KY they are commonly used to make June apple pies and fried apple pies. Their tartness is a signature taste. IMO, just like cider, an even better sauce comes from a combo of apples with each adding it's taste. My favorite apple pie will have 3 or 4 apple types in it. 

FWIW, my wifes applebutter (a dark brown color you get via much longer cook time) and yet another choice with those apples. Storebought sauces and butter seem to lack the flavors that come from long simmer times. 
My trees the squirrels eat 100%. I declared war on them this past spring and once the trees had leafed out it was hard to make easy shots. The lucky ones bred and now I have a new crop of small, young greys running all over. My pear tree has like two left that they can't get to.  

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Jeff

These have a tang to them!! 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

I do like applesauce. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

The best apples for sauce up this way are the August apples, they cook up to a froth and no chunks. In apple pie I like the ones that don't turn to apple sauce so much, but won't turn them down. :D But I also like lard crust the best. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Rhodemont

I have got a a yellow apple tree that ripens and starts to drop right about now every year.  Not sure what variety they are, must be some heritage apple since the tree looks like it has been there forever.  They are not much as a hand eating apple but as with yours they make really good apple sauce.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Thank You Sponsors!