iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable shooting house, wildlife viewing blind

Started by Jeff, August 28, 2022, 10:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Due to big changes  in the Wildlife habitat here on our wilderness U.P. property from mulching and trail and food plot building, it is unclear where the best areas to view deer and other wildlife will be at this point. This well built shooting house I actually got in a trade, needed to be moved, so I thought, why not make it portable?? I found this great trailer on an eastern U.P. market place and knew it would be perfect!!
Make your U.P. Deer Hunting Shack Portable!! - YouTube

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

I'll pop out of my covid coma long enough to just say I enjoyed that. You should have a lot of fun messing around with that!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Pretty neat. I kept looking for shapely young ladies and Benny Hill to jump out at the speed you were running. :D

I had thought about trailer mounted shooting houses but our terrain is too steep for that to work well around here. About the best we might do would be pre-fabbed and erected on site like I do my little composting toilets. I still want to build a shooting house built of the first cut, bark on (as long as it will stay) outer slabs. I'd think that would be perfect camoflage. I'm thinking Robert or someone here on the FF built a blind from slabs like that and his only problem is finding it in the woods. :D

Are you going to block up the trailer to keep the weight off the tires?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

So now I am not the only one that has a "wheel house"??  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Walnut Beast

Absolutely very nice! That hard work will feel pretty good and comfortable when the weather is nasty. When your not hunting a very nice relaxing observation tower. Plenty of room for upgrades to think about 💪

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: thecfarm on August 28, 2022, 05:03:07 PM
Have shooting house, will travel!!!
Ray has a great point, you can move it around based on season. You could park it next to the road for tourist season, for instance. ;D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Andries

What's your bag limit during tourist season?
😉
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Old Greenhorn

I male pre day but it has to have a man bun of at least 2" diameter. ;D

Jeff

I'm trying to get Jeremy to get in there with a camera and Ill do a trail ride.  :)

DeerMeadowFarm

Nice. I think if you'd have used a come-a-long and hooked it to the back rack of the 4-wheeler it would have gone a lot smoother. 

Jeff

WV Sawmiller

A snatch block hooked to the front of the trailer with one end of a cable or heavy rope around the shed and the other hooked to something stable - like a tree or heavy piece of equipment, works well too. Then you can drive forward and pull the shed on to the trailer (If the connection to the trailer doesn't bend or break - don't ask me how I know that ::)) and if you have a snatch block and long enough cable or heavy rope.

I helped my son move a big shed and he lifted one end with a mechanics jack - the ones with wheels - and we were able to use that as a lift and as a roller to help roll it on and off the trailer. Skid boards and rollers work too.

You make a good point though - you use what you have. Some methods are easier than others and you learn and the next time it is easier but you keep trying! Since the shed is intact, the trailer still rolls and nobody was hurt I'd list it in the success column. The best part was making memories with your son!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Jeff on August 29, 2022, 05:00:39 PM
You would need a come a long to do that. :)
Everyone should own at least one come a long!  ;) :D

thecfarm

Gotta remember too, Jeff is 3 hours from home.
I use to deal with the same thing here, before I built a house here. But I was only 15 minutes away. But it was easier to have 2 of some things than to try to remember to bring them from home. I got here many times and had to do something else because I forgot a much-needed tool.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on August 30, 2022, 09:26:08 AM
Quote from: Jeff on August 29, 2022, 05:00:39 PM
You would need a come a long to do that. :)
Everyone should own at least one come a long!  ;) :D
I am at a remote u.p. cabin. No shop, no storage building, basic tools. There is a myriad of ways to do things, but I live simple up here, and make due with what is available.

Jeff

Functional artsy fartsy with left over spray paint found under the sink. Totally surprised it sprayed yet.

Jeff

beenthere

Looking good, so good you won't find it in the woods..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I got an app. ;) :D 

In the edge of tag alders and dead canary grass, id bet it's pretty hard to see.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: thecfarm on August 30, 2022, 09:40:07 AM
Gotta remember too, Jeff is 3 hours from home.
I use to deal with the same thing here, before I built a house here. But I was only 15 minutes away. But it was easier to have 2 of some things than to try to remember to bring them from home. I got here many times and had to do something else because I forgot a much-needed tool.
I get it. I do it often myself; you gotta do what you gotta do. I've repaired farm equipment with a letherman because the toolbox on my tractor has one set of pliers where I needed two, but like you I'm not often far from home with my tractor. 
When I am far from home, I'm much better prepared. I keep a tool box, come along, 3 lengths of chains and a high-lift jack in my truck box at all times. I also have a hand saw and other tools in there. When I go 4-1/2 hours north hunting, I add a small chainsaw in the box for good measure. 
If and hopefully when I get some land in Maine to build a camp on, I will take a lot more tools with me than that. But that's just me. Everyone does things different. No matter how prepared I try to be, I sometimes find myself missing some tool. I just try to minimize that chance as much as possible.

Jeff

Looks like I put this blind in a good local. You can see it behind the buck in this pic from this morning.

Thank You Sponsors!