iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking at a Woodlandmills hm122 bushlander

Started by Originaljk, September 18, 2022, 05:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Originaljk

I have been looking at the woodland mills hm122 bushlander.   I wanted something I can fit in my garage that has the 16' length and not in the elements when not in use.  I liked the 130 trailer with the stainless bunks, the leveling leg and the log clamps.    I have a couple of questions.

- should I even be concerned about a woodland mills outdoors with no roof to guard it from weather with the 130? If I go bigger

- the bushlander leveling legs with the t-screw look not as solid as the jacks.   Do the t screws loosen and the legs get jolted while loading logs or from vibrations?

- The log clamps on the 122 look very pointy.  Seems like a pain to always guard the log with a block.   Can the points be ground down flat and still be usable?

-will the 9hp motor be enough on the hm122 to cut the max size oaks?  
Thanks

KenMac

I'm not intimately familiar with Woodland Mills equipment, but I have figured out that bigger is better in this business and you pretty much get what you pay for. There are covers for mills left outside in the elements that apparently work pretty well. Most people build sheds for their mills pretty soon after purchase. Hope this helps. Good luck with your venture.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Jeff

All of you woodland mill owners. Please put a word in for us with their marketing department and let them know we ARE valuable.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Wlmedley

I have the 126 with 14hp engine.I fellow up the road from me bought the 122 with 9 hp.I haven't talked to him but heard he was shopping for a larger engine.The 14 seems fine to me but I don't think I would want a smaller one especially with max size hardwood.Sawmill is like any other equipment,you can leave it outside if certain precautions are taken but will hold up better if kept out of the weather especially the head.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Fill out your profile information so that we will know and remember where you are.  Many times your location will aid when answering questions.

I have absolutely no experience with any Woodland Mills sawmill, but with most manufacturers, they sell "entrance level" sawmill models that are more suited for a hobbyist.  These units have cost cutting features that may not be suitable for everyone.  The higher priced models may be more substantial and better suited for more constant or heavier sawing duties. 

Your buying decision will be determined by your intended use.  Obviously lower HP engines may be perfect for lighter use, but could fall flat when subjected to heavier duty.

The pointy log clamp is intended to pierce the log/cant and hold it secure.  There is generally no need for excess pressure.

There are many very satisfied Woodland Mills sawmill owners here on the Forestry Forum.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Quote from: hamish on September 18, 2022, 07:46:02 PM
Quote from: Jeff on September 18, 2022, 06:56:02 PM
All of you woodland mill owners. Please put a word in for us with their marketing department and let them know we ARE valuable.
Yet you and the forum bashed them for years :D
You will need to point that out for me, as I can't recall that. All posts are here. If you can show it to me, I'd appreciate seeing it. Woodland mills has been and still is a sponsor here and I was hoping members here would let them know you appreciate it. If you don't,  heaven forbid, why are you posting this here??

Originaljk

Thank you for the welcome, seems like this is the place to get all the information i will need.

I certainly agree with bigger is normally better. The 130max would be the choice if the rail extensions were a quick connect.  I do not have a dedicated milling area yet and will only have the time to use the mill every now and then.   Figured the 122 would be more mobile and compact to get some projects started.  I think the mills hold their value pretty well and don't mind upgrading in the future.  

Is the 122 9hp capable of handling hardwoods but maybe just take a little more time?   

rusticretreater

Hi, I own and HM130 max and am quite satisfied with my purchase.  I have seen videos of folks who keep their mills under tarps, build a shed just to house the head(open the doors to do milling) and of course the full on sheds.  Blades do rust easily so anyway to keep them covered(or simply remove) is advisable.

A 9.5hp engine will certainly be slow going with a large log but your max on the 122 is 22".  It should be adequate for most logs.  The log clamps are pointy because its necessary to get a grip on a log through bark.  The idea is that any marks on boards will be removed when the board is edged.  For timber beams, you can use a board to protect the cant if you can't trim or finish the beam afterwards.

As you noted the support legs leave much to be desired.  The key to long term survival with construction like this is to not drop logs on the trailer, but roll them up onto the surface.  The legs do allow a quick adjustment to uneven terrain.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

goose63

My 126 is a 2016 and spent it's life out side I did put a biger engin on it the old was getting tired

Woodlandmills are great people to deal with
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

jpassardi

Welcome.
I'd suggest getting at least the 126 with 14 HP unless you know you'll be doing 18" and under. 9 HP is quite low.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

btulloh

More hp is always better but 9hp does saw both hard and softwood. My hm126 came with the 9.5hp kohler 'cause that's what was available in 2016. I've sawed 26" white oak, 26" syp, osage orange, and just about everything else. Sawing is slower of course with less hp, but it gets done. Get what your budget can stand, bump it up if you can, but get to sawing. Always possible to sell and upgrade later. 
HM126

NE Woodburner

Quote from: Jeff on September 18, 2022, 06:56:02 PM
Not currently a woodland mills owner, but considering buying a personal use mill soon (retirement) and I wouldn't have even known about woodland mills if it were not for this forum...

Jeff

Blevdog

I have the HM122 with the 9hp. I haven't cut any hardwoods. I have cut an abundance of fir and pine with no problems. 20 inch logs by 18 to 20 ft. The people here all know the importance of a sharp blade and taking the time to cut with a manual saw. I am glad that I have the HM122. Less money and does the same job as other mills. The only difference is the production time.  I also think the log clamp needs improvement.  Keeping my saw undercover.

This picture is one year ago, the only thing that has changed is the size of the sawdust pile.

terrifictimbersllc

I just recommended the Woodland 130 to a repeat customer of mine. He wants to re-saw Beams that I sawed for him on an as he goes basis, spend only about $5000. I couldn't think of another little mill to recommend other than this one. And it's because I only have favorable recollections of what people have said about them here on The Forestry Forum.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Les Staley

I chose the HM 126 w/14 hp Koehler engine.  Additionally bought two 6' extensions and have milled red fir beams 4" X12"  up to 22' long.  Presently have all the 8"X8" red fir posts milled for a 24' X 32' saw shed and the cross beams ready for some help from a couple of my buddys.  Hope to stand her up in a couple weeks.  Service from these folks (Woodland Mills) is superb!  Couldn't ask for any better.   I've been set up on 6 RR ties and keep a heavy duty rubberized army surplus tarp on the mill head , but it will be nice to have tin over it for this winter.  
East Jordan Michigan, Pinedale Wyoming and St Maries Idaho.  Honey, I'm HOME!

jasonb

I have an HM122 with 7 hp Kohler.  So far, it has cut everything that I have put on the bunks.  I haven't had any oak larger than 18" or so but it cut what I had with no problem.

As far as increasing the horsepower, be careful when exceeding the limits of what it was engineered for.

Also, I have never come across any indention left by the log clamps in all of the wood I have used that was cut on my mill.

I have cut 24" x 13' pine.  It wasn't easy but I did it.  It just takes a lot of positioning to pull it off.
HM122

Thank You Sponsors!