iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New blade burning not cutting.

Started by Stevenjohn21, September 21, 2022, 08:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAB

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 21, 2022, 09:59:39 PM
Quote from: SawyerTed on September 21, 2022, 09:31:46 PM..........  We typically don't remind anybody about their mistakes until they occur 7 or 8 times.
We don't?! I didn't get that memo. Neither did the guys that keep 'mentioning' my alleged 'shortcomings'.  :D
OG:
Don't feel bad, I didn't get the memo either.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Ljohnsaw

Running them backwards burnishes the tips like running a straight razor over a leather strop.  Now they are really sharp! ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

TT,

Yes I had them on the mill and never paid attention to the direction the band was traveling and never thought about the fact you could invert them.

GAB,

He would not have hurt my feelings one bit by asking. I am pretty thick skinned and except for people insulting my ATV driving and not knowing Rosa is Ponderosa pine (Which don't grow here and I have never sawed) I am pretty tolerant of others asking me things that should be obvious. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

John S

A WM representative told us that he did it once at a demonstration.  As soon as he saw some smoke he knew what was wrong.  He calmly stopped the engine, backed out, removed and then inverted the blade.  He reinstalled it and continued the demonstration as if all was normal.  I check every time I put on a fresh blade.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Crossroads

When I was chasing landing under a 100' Berger tower, there was 2 of us and we played tricks on each other no and then. My favorite was to pull the chain off his saw and put it back on backwards when he wasn't paying attention. The first time, it took him a while to figure it out. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

SawyerTed

I had a pile of logs that a buddy wanted to cut for firewood.  He needed a chain sharpened so we used my sharpener.  He put the chain on and started cutting.  After about 30-45 seconds he shut it down and said his chain was worse than when he brought it and something to the effect that I didn't know what I was doing. 

I looked at the chain and suggested that we either sharpened it backwards OR he had the chain on backwards. That set him into a cussing and spitting fit!  After a a good 2 minutes of words I didn't know went together and a subsequent apology, he changed the chain around.  :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

It would be quite easy to decide to flip the bar after installing the chain.  Nope.... :-X 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

I remember the first time daddy watched me saw lumber on the LT40. I had it set up in my Granddaddy's yard that particular day. I was changing the blade when he pulled up in his old GMC pickup truck, parked, and I swear I could feel his eyes fixed on me. Man, I wanted to impress him, show him what a real sawmill man can do  :D. I fired the mill back up and let'er RIP!  Smoke started pouring out everywhere, drive belt screaming, and then I realized my error.
I killed the engine and he hollered "what was that!?" I yelled back that I put the blade on backwards. 
He shook his head and drove off.  smiley_clapping
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

moodnacreek

When I was a kid I put a hack saw blade in backwards once. That's how you learn.

aigheadish

I've never run a mill but I have put my chain on backwards before...

My mind is having trouble picturing what you guys mean by backwards or inside out.

Are you saying the blade is on upside down? Like the tooth pitch makes a difference or there is a 7 shape to the teeth and it'll only cut when the 7 shape is oriented properly? Like if the 7 was moving down it will cut because of the angled part on the bottom of the 7 but won't cut if the 7 was moving up because of the flat spot? And, maybe it's backwards from how I have it and the flat part of the 7 does the cutting?

I don't know if that question makes sense... I can only compare, in my mind, with a bandsaw blade or chainsaw chain.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

WV Sawmiller

Hold the blade in hand with the teeth facing forward and your thumb on the back. Push up with your thumb and twist and the blade will invert itself. The back of the blade will now be facing away and the teeth will be facing you. You can still put the band on with the back facing the rollers and the teeth pointing forward but the direction of the teeth are 180 degrees away from what they need to be to cut.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

One of the Chinese knock off saws has the chain on backwards in their advertising photos. Probably don't notice a performance difference.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Either that or the blade turns backwards (throwing the chips into your face). :D
Howard Green

sealark37

More than a few chainsaws from big box stores came to our service counter for 
"a chain that will cut oak".  We solved with a short demo, and sharpening.  Not unusual for the customer to be angry at us.  

dustyhat

The most fun ,is to flip the saw chain inside out . you can really mess with the new guys. not saying i ever did this. :D  I use to do it at the saw shop while nobody was looking ,and put them back in the box ,i know it was mean.

Cornerstone

I'm still one who has never done such a thing. Yet. It probably helps that I'm only on my second blade ever. ;D
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

Satamax

Quote from: aigheadish on September 27, 2022, 10:51:58 AM

My mind is having trouble picturing what you guys mean by backwards or inside out.

Are you saying the blade is on upside down? Like the tooth pitch makes a difference or there is a 7 shape to the teeth and it'll only cut when the 7 shape is oriented properly? Like if the 7 was moving down it will cut because of the angled part on the bottom of the 7 but won't cut if the 7 was moving up because of the flat spot? And, maybe it's backwards from how I have it and the flat part of the 7 does the cutting?

I don't know if that question makes sense... I can only compare, in my mind, with a bandsaw blade or chainsaw chain.
How to flip the band saw blade - NEVA - www.neva.cz - YouTube
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: aigheadish on September 27, 2022, 10:51:58 AM
In the Game of Logging competitions, they start by handing each competitor a dull chain to fir their saw. They have to sharpen, install and tension it to use in the timed cutting events. My friend who is usually chief judge sometimes knows a competitor who is a bit of an experienced smart aleck. The chains get hand out in a ball and each cutter must untangle it. For the smart aleck he might get handed a chain that has been flipped inside out before balling up. It's good sport to see if the guy can figure it out and fix it, or if he gets dumbfounded. :D
 Chains going inside out doesn't happen much, blades being flipped happens a lot. Hopefully the OP has now gotten the point that almost all of us have had our 'issues' with this.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

KenMac

Quote from: moodnacreek on September 27, 2022, 07:36:58 AM
When I was a kid I put a hack saw blade in backwards once. That's how you learn.
I put hacksaw blades in "backwards" all of the time. They cut better on the pull stroke in my opinion. An older friend got me started doing that.

I have never put one in with the teeth pointing towards the frame of the saw if that was the reference.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

beenthere

Now that would be very awkward. Teeth cut on the forward or push stroke (for me).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

moodnacreek

Quote from: KenMac on September 27, 2022, 09:31:26 PM
Quote from: moodnacreek on September 27, 2022, 07:36:58 AM
I put hacksaw blades in "backwards" all of the time. They cut better on the pull stroke in my opinion. An older friend got me started doing that.

I have never put one in with the teeth pointing towards the frame of the saw if that was the reference.
I would assume most use a hack saw on the push stroke. Growing up with grandfathers shed full of tools I forget how everything is now. You can't put a saws all blade in wrong. Anyhow when a saw won't cut, look at the teeth.

DennisK

Quote from: moodnacreek on September 28, 2022, 08:18:08 AMYou can't put a saws all blade in wrong.

Been doing that in my Sawzall for fpr 35 plus years, when cutting cutting vertical from overhead.

moodnacreek

Quote from: DennisK on September 28, 2022, 03:14:56 PM
Quote from: moodnacreek on September 28, 2022, 08:18:08 AMYou can't put a saws all blade in wrong.

Been doing that in my Sawzall for fpr 35 plus years, when cutting cutting vertical from overhead.

moodnacreek

You do that on purpose and it cuts. There are times when a simple hack saw blade needs to cut on the pull stroke. Do you grind a new notch when you break the tang off? There are always exceptions.

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!