iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mini excavator up to the task?

Started by Strangewoods, October 02, 2022, 03:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strangewoods

I'm considering purchasing a mini ex. I've got a lot of good timber and property that is hard to access. Much of it someone already had put a slab wood path in covered in felt. 

I'd like to ditch alongside it and cover it. Add some culverts if needed. Also build a couple corduroy logging trails. Among many other projects.  

I don't know a lot about excavators. Looking for an older machine as this isn't for my livelihood. I'd plan to use it a few yrs and then sell, unless I decided I couldn't live without it.. thumb sure would make handling logs and posts a lot nicer. what I'm wondering about is size.. would a 7-8k lb machine cut it for this type of work? I see some in the 6k lb range but I'm assuming that's too small. 
Don't be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

B.C.C. Lapp

I do not own a mini ex but I have a dirt guy that helps me put in bridges, build landings and move truck mats around.   When he first showed up with the thing I was skeptical. I have since been educated on what a good operator can achieve with these little machines with a thumb on the bucket. I think  a 7-8k machine would do what your wanting  once you learn how to operate it to its potential. 
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Old Greenhorn

It has always absolutely amazed me what a good operator can do with an excavator, especially if it has a thumb. Since I just started operating ANY type of equipment a year or so ago (and I am already an aging and feeble brained guy), it has become even more impressive to me. Watching is one thing, doing is another, doing it 'at speed' is an entirely different level. It is then that an operator is clearly 'one with the machine' and that's when the magic happens. I know how hard I am working to get good (and remain safe) at just using forks or a grapple and I can't figure  how long it takes to 'be one with the machine' but if you get there with yours, I can say with confidence  that you won't want to be without it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

EricR

I have a kubota 121. Which is around 9000 lbs.  you can do a lot of work with one but I always feel that in the woods I'm always pushing it to its max and don't really like to operate that way.  Stumps/roots/rocks are hard on them.  I view minis as residential machines, not very efficient on acreage.  I use it because it's what I have but think a 312 120 size machine would be way better and can't come up with many instances where I think I would miss the kubota if I replaced it with bigger.  Also around here it seems the bigger you go the cheaper they get.

BargeMonkey

How much work do you really plan to do with it ? Do you plan to move it around alot ? You can buy an 80 class / 307-308 for typically less than a U-40 / 121, like the previous guy said, even a 120 class. A mini will get it done, a blade is a must. I would avoid a cheap grey market machine depending on make / model. 

Southside

Whatever you get make sure it has both a ROPS and a FOPS rated cab if you are going to be working under a tree canopy with it. Simply can not stress that enough. It doesn't take a big chunk of wood to fall and seriously injure or kill you if you don't have the correct protection around you. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

chevytaHOE5674

Will it do the job? Sure it will (a shovel will given enough time).

But IME a 7-8k lbs machine will be at its limits trying to dig in the woods where there's stumps, roots, rocks, etc. 

I'd rather have a larger machine and use it at 70% capacity all the time then have a small machine and use it at 110% capacity all the time.

Strangewoods

I could be wrong (usually am) but I think the digging would be a bit easier in this terrain than most places. Not getting stuck might be more of a challenge but summer should be ok. This summer would've been great.. The main section I'm going through is conifers, soft ground, small 2-10" diameter trees 15-30' tall. It's really dense with most trees being on the smaller side of that 2-10. I'm not saying the justifies my thoughts on the size of the machine. Definitely leaning toward bigger now. It would be nice to be able to move it but no need to really. 

Strangewoods

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on October 02, 2022, 08:15:41 PM
Will it do the job? Sure it will (a shovel will given enough time).

But IME a 7-8k lbs machine will be at its limits trying to dig in the woods where there's stumps, roots, 
Would your opinion change on that if it were cedars, black spruce, or tamarack mostly 4-8" dia? Obviously soft ground but corduroy should help a lot? 
Everywhere I want to go mostly has areas that are about 6' across free of stumps. The Old trails through the swamp, kind of look like drainage's now. 
Just curious on your thoughts as I'm just guessing at the moment. 

chevytaHOE5674

I've had 4-8" trees/stumps come out with an ATV pulling and I've had the same size stump put up a fight for a 14k lbs backhoe. All depends on the individual tree.

IMO a 7k lbs mini-ex was designed to be easily hauled and moved into places for digging in things like water lines, landscaping, etc. Will it do heavier work? Absolutely. Is it the right tool for a heavier job? No. 

Walnut Beast

What you need is a root ripper. They make various styles. And ones that cut also

BargeMonkey

A rubber tracked 7-9k lb excavator will do clearing work but it's not meant for it. Ours is used to clear off small spots for septics sometimes and knows it. Are you any good at putting tracks back on ? 

Walnut Beast

I know a guy that has these on some really big excavators and said these are absolute game changers!! He can get in and log with two Timberpro units, mulch with the big dedicated units and grub everything out fast

sprucebunny

I bought an old CAT 307 to work on my land. It sounds like similar land and similar projects. It's been great.It weighs 17,000+. No blade.

The only time I really wanted a bigger machine was fixing ruts the loggers left cutting in winter around some rocks. It hasn't the ground clearance to go where the buncher went. But a smaller machine makes smaller, less messy openings/trails.

Get a thumb. I manage without but a thumb would be Way faster than balancing logs across the bucket.

You are unlikely to get stuck because you can always pull yourself out with the bucket. Just don't go blindly into the soft spots.

It digs out large stumps. I go around about 3 feet from the stump and break or cut the roots w/the bucket. If I can't lift it, I can roll it.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

taylorsmissbeehaven

I have an older Bobcat 430. I think its weighted at 10K. Its not my favorite to move as it a little heavy for me but Im under weight and take my time. (Dont move it a lot) It impresses me every time I use it. The last three nights after work I have used it to clean up three pines that came down (or partially came down ::)) in the hurricane that passed through here last weekend. It has a thumb and a blade and made dealing with these problem trees much safer in my opinion. Lifting, pulling, and dragging them was all done with relative ease. I think any machine that you get is better than not having one. You will be able to do a terrific amount more, while sitting safely in a seat, given you think it through before you start. Good luck with the search, I doubt you will sell it unless you wan to upgrade!! Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Mattjohndeere2

Quote from: sprucebunny on October 03, 2022, 07:01:50 AM
I bought an old CAT 307 to work on my land. It sounds like similar land and similar projects. It's been great.It weighs 17,000+. No blade.

The only time I really wanted a bigger machine was fixing ruts the loggers left cutting in winter around some rocks. It hasn't the ground clearance to go where the buncher went. But a smaller machine makes smaller, less messy openings/trails.

Get a thumb. I manage without but a thumb would be Way faster than balancing logs across the bucket.

You are unlikely to get stuck because you can always pull yourself out with the bucket. Just don't go blindly into the soft spots.

It digs out large stumps. I go around about 3 feet from the stump and break or cut the roots w/the bucket. If I can't lift it, I can roll it.
Another vote here for this size machine. I have a John Deere 80, 16k lbs, blade, thumb, wide track pads. Its all a must for tree work on wet ground. It's large enough to take on the bigger stumps and rocks, and really quite nimble in the woods for trail maintenance.
Plus it's just big enough that your buddies can't "borrow" it with their pickup truck and trailer.
I love my 80. Some days it would be nice to have one small enough to toss behind the pickup, some days it would be nice to have a 120 size and get some real work done. But it's a nice in the middle fit for what I do.

Iwawoodwork

If you can afford it look at the 10-to-12-thousand-pound machines with blade and thumb. I have a Hitachi 50 with blade and thumb that is a strong machine and I can safely pull it behind my 1 ton PU also have a Komatsu pc60 that weigh about 16 m lbs which is not safely moved with a one-ton PU.  I also recently had the use of a friends 305 cat (12m lbs) with blade and thumb and that is a great size and strong machine, also easily moved it several times behind my 1 ton F350.

Thank You Sponsors!