iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timbco 425c 8.3ct engine rebuild

Started by davidn3, November 03, 2022, 01:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidn3

Come to find out, a mouse chewed through the heater hose behind the cab.  Didn't realize I was low on coolant.   Coolant temp never got hot, but probably was low enough that the temp gauge was just reading voided temps.  Developed a tapping top front of the engine. I replaced the tensioner pully and water pump (how I found the low coolant) I got concerned that I dropped a valve seat.  Took the head off.  Valve seats and head look good.  Pistons all look good.  Took the radiator out and cover off the front end.  All gears look good.  At this point I'm not too far from being able to just pull the engine,  clean it up and do a rebuild. My question right now is how is the engine flywheel attached to the transmission if at all.  Bolted?  Just splines on the shaft? 

kiko

It has a splined shaft and a drive plate. Unbolt gearbox from engine flywheel and it will slide apart.  Also replace the gear box seal.  When reassembling place the seal in the gear box and the the shaft into the gearbox, that way you won't poke the seal lining it back up

davidn3

Thanks.  Are these flywheel bolts accessible by taking the starter off?  That was my next step when I get the chance.  The access cover on the opposite side doesn't expose any bolts to remove.   

kiko

No internal bolts just the ones on the outside where gearbox bolts to engine flywheel housing.

davidn3

Ok.  I misunderstood.   That makes things easier.   So Just bellhousing bolts and slides out.  Thanks a lot. 

charles mann

@davidn3 does your 8.3 have an air intake water cooled aftercooler? Iv got an 8.3 with an aftercooler, but wanting to do a delete, and instal an intercooler/charged air cooler, but the military vehicle community doesnt seem to have an option for an aftercooler delete. Plus i need find a way to instal an intercooler with the limited space i have between the radiator and hood grill. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

kiko

Charles, this question was not directed to me , but I can help you.  There were two different  heads that took different intakes.  One has 18 bolt and one 16? If you have 18 bolts on your aftercooler I could provide you an engine serial number that ha the 18 bolt intake 

you can see the intake here on this 8.3 without aftercooler

beenthere

Seeing two pics posted. Are they the same, or should we be able to detect something different in the first vs the second?  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kiko

Accidental double. Maybe this on will be more understandable.   This is an intake on a 8.3 cummins without an aftercooler. One with an aftercooler , the aftercooler would be located in the same position as this intake.  

Fuel injection lines will be routed differently to go around the aftercooler

charles mann

@kiko 
Thanks. I'll see if my back has the strength to fold open my hood and get a ladder to climb up on the tire and count the bolts. If if im not able to heave the hood up, i'll dig the tm to see if it says the qty of bolts on the rmvl/instal of the aftercooler. 

The eng you posted the pictures of w/o an aftercooler. Is it turboed?
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

kiko

It does have a turbo, it pipes straight into the intake, no CAC.  But CAC piping could be plumbed in to this intake 

davidn3

Mine doesn't have an intercooler or aftercooler.  Was thinking about putting one on, but didn't want to interfere with fuel lines and etc. 

Thank You Sponsors!