iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Congressman Falls 25 ft off ladder

Started by red, January 19, 2023, 11:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

Congressman spent night in ICU after 25 ft fall off ladder 
US Rep Greg Steiner was hospitalized Thursday in a Florida intensive care unit after falling 25 ft off a ladder while cutting tree limbs on his property in Sarasota Wednesday afternoon
Steube's injuries are still under assessment but not life threatening 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

samandothers

Well execution of the task was lacking.  I kinda appreciate the fact he was doing stuff himself!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Walnut Beast

He probably was loaded and could have hired it done

doctorb

Doctorb's rule....and Jeff is quoting it.....

People over 50 shouldn't climb ladders.  You have no idea how many patients I have treated who have fallen off ladders.  The injuries and results get worse after 50.  I know, I know....there are tons of do it yourselfers on the FF (I am one of them). I got a snootfull from them when this first came up years ago.  And yes, I have broken the rule many times.  But I try not to.  Roof work and gutter cleaning are for the young.  Just my opinion....backed up by a career of putting people back together.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Walnut Beast

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/florida-rep-greg-steube-hospitalized-falling-ladder

You almost got his name right  44 yrs old

He's also a attorney and his base salary is 174,000 for serving as a politician 

WV Sawmiller

Jeff,

I thought that prohibition on ladder use was for Forum members only. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

Its for forum members and anyone else I give a hoot about, and sometimes for me. I got nobody else to go up ladders on my behalf, but everytime I do, Bobby is in my head.

barbender

Ladders and trimming branches absolutely don't mix, at any age.
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

You do have to wonder if he fell or swept himself off with the branch. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Hopefully the guy heals up ok! It just goes to show it only takes once up on a ladder or not without proper safety precautions or hiring the proper professional to get the job done. 

Ianab

Quote from: Southside on January 19, 2023, 05:23:57 PM
You do have to wonder if he fell or swept himself off with the branch.
I'd suspect swept himself off with a branch... Leading to a fall.  If the FailArmy youtube channel is any guide. 
But yeah, ladders and tree trimming are a particularly bad combination, especially 25 ft up. 
I have pruned young plantation pines from a ladder, but that's a specific situation, and you don't go up 25ft.  ::)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

barbender

The peak on the one end of our house is 30' up. I do NOT like being up there, or on the back side of the roof that is at a minimum 20' off the ground. I k ow that if I fall from up there, it will be life altering. 

Stephen1

I try my hardest not to go up ladders, if I do I always make sure someone is there to either go up or hold the ladder. 
Years ago when I was building the log cabin, I was using a small step ladder and I was coming down, I feel from the second from the bottom step and cracked a rib. Not sure if I was over 50 but I remember it coming up on the FF about the same time about the over 50 and I always tell people we are not allowed up ladders at our age. Everyone laughs at me. I had a friend , well off, CEO of a company fell off his roof and broke his hip, 10 surgeries and 5 years later he passed away on the operating table trying to fix that hip. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

rusticretreater

I don't go up a ladder leaning on a tree any more than 10 feet.  The idea is that I can jump off it when I lose my balance.  And I have once. The other part of the equation is the proper technique in cutting branches.  Folks usually think that gravity will just make it fall, but as we know that if it is unbalanced it can twist and fall in crazy ways.  

You tube has some vids of folks who messed up bigly falling off of ladders while working on trees.  And I know a family relation who broke both wrists in a ladder fall while trimming.  I went and spent the money to get the Milwaukee battery powered tree saw.  Not the greatest, but a good bit safer.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Ianab

The pine tree trimming is a special case, the ladder is specifically designed to dig in to the dirt, and wrap around the trunk, and you are cutting small branches, usually only 1" or so. Sawing through a larger branch and having it swing down and swipe away your ladder is the classic mistake. If you do that 25ft up, it's going to hurt. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

NE Woodburner

For about 25 - 30 years I cleaned my chimney once or twice a year, which involved an extension ladder up to the roof of my 2 story home, then climbing up the asphalt shingle roof to the peak. Never bothered me until one time when I was about 50 or just a bit older. I just had an uneasy feeling being up there and especially coming down the asphalt shingles to get onto the ladder. I was actually shaking a bit until I got on firm ground. It took me off guard as I had never felt the least bit uncomfortable on a ladder before. I decided then and there that I was done cleaning my own chimney or getting up on ladders that high. I paid a chimney service for a few years then had trouble finding a reliable service and purchased a unit that you can clean up the flue from the cleanout using a drill attachment.

I won't say that I have completely followed the no ladder over 50 rule, but I sure think about it a lot more. Biggest issue I have is stubbornness and not wanting to call someone to come help or pay for a service to do something I think am capable of doing.

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Patrick NC

When I was younger I didn't think twice about ladders or heights. Now that I'm not 21 anymore and over 250 pounds I tend to shy away from ladders if I can. Last time I had tree work to do I did it myself,  but I rented a towable man lift. Well worth the rental cost. I'll probably rent it again when I start the roof on my new barn. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

barbender

A lift is a game changer. Expensive, but so much cheaper than the associated costs from bouncing off the ground 

Southside

A 12' or so fall at 21 broke my L5. I was absolutely in peak condition at the time. 

It's not always the fall, but how the sudden stop at the bottom ends things that counts.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

chet

Personally myself I would stick with a ladder rather than trusting an aerial lift that I had no clues as to how it was used or abused or maintained.  
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

barbender

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!