iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strong enough?

Started by ohsoloco, June 10, 2005, 11:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

Not too long ago when coming in the front door of the forum I saw a picture of a really nice base for air drying lumber.  I used that idea when I had to stack some lumber a few weeks ago...two 6x6's parallel on the ground, then two white oak 6x6's perpendicular to the ones on the ground, and then five 4x4's spaced where I would be placing the stickers on the lumber. 

I have a bunch of spruce and red pine to cut up, and I was wondering if green spruce or pine 6x6's would be strong enough to use as the timbers that will be supporting the cross pieces that the lumber will rest on?  I hope I explained that good enough  :-\  This is all that is in the yard right now, and I want to get the rest of it stacked as soon as it is cut.  Any input is appreciated  :)

beenthere

I would venture to say that they will be adequate as far as strength, as long as there isn't rot or defect present to lower their strength.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Den Socling

I don't think that strength is an issue with 6 X 6 but the WO would resist rot and would be there to use for years.

ohsoloco

I hope rot won't be a problem, since I'll still be using white oak for the pieces that rest on the ground.  The spruce or pine will be the 12 foot pieces running parallel with the lumber in the stack....I thought there may be some bowing in the timbers if using them green. 

beenthere

There may be some bowing. You probably should consider adding another support if you are concerned, but there should be enough strength in the wood you plan to use. If you get bow, then some wedging of the support points can be done to keep the pile straight.

Many drying yards of any size can keep a man busy just moving around the air drying piles sticking in wedges to keep piles straight, and it is a $$-making practice.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ohsoloco

Yeah, it probably would be best to put another support on the ground.  I just really like the two point method b/c you don't have to fuss around trying to get all of the supports on the same plane....and the ground would probably settle anyway  ::)

karl

I have several old RR ties and some sacrificial 7x7 barn beams that I use on the ground (3 per stack) with  2-6x6 spruce/fir but usually Hemlock across them and 3-5 4x4 whatever ain't real valuable(hearts, red rot, wain) across those.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Radar67

Quote from: ohsoloco on June 10, 2005, 11:39:50 AM
Not too long ago when coming in the front door of the forum I saw a picture of a really nice base for air drying lumber.  I used that idea when I had to stack some lumber a few weeks ago...two 6x6's parallel on the ground, then two white oak 6x6's perpendicular to the ones on the ground, and then five 4x4's spaced where I would be placing the stickers on the lumber. 

I remember seeing that picture as well. Recently I have been trying to relocate the picture with no luck. Does anyone know who the picture belongs too? I'm getting ready to set up a permanent drying area and would like to use the set up.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beenthere

Think of having support directly below each column of stickers that goes to solid foundation on the ground. Anything else allows the weight of the lumber supported by the column of stickers to bend a supporting member below.

south central Wisconsin

Radar67

Beenthere,
     That's what I was thinking too. I liked the idea of the beams running the length of the pile for the foundation, especially since the ground is not perfectly level. I like to sticker every 18 inches, it means more stickers, but plenty of support for the lumber. I've thought about pouring 18 inch by 6 inch concrete rails for the base (12 inches would be below surface) then placing 6x6 timbers across the concrete every 18 inches for the base.

Stew

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

DanG

Y'all are probably gonna laugh, but I'm getting used to it. :D  I make my drying platforms from 1x6 pine.  These are for indoor use only.  I put a 1" ledger board at the bottom of each side rail, then nail the crosspieces on top of that so they are 1" higher than the rails for ventilation.  The crossmembers are 2' apart and the stickers go directly above them.  Works good if you don't make your stacks too high.  Been using them for about a year and haven't had any problems. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Here is a crappy pic of some of my racks. ::)

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Radar67

Okay DanG, you know the deal, got any pictures?  :D That sounds like a good idea for inside stacking. How high is not to high? I figure I'll go 40 inches wide by 6 foot high on my stacks, maybe go out to 48 wide.

See, you do know the deal.  :D :D :D

Stew

DanG

I don't know what they would take, Stew. ???  I can't seem to get a stack more'n a few layers high before some yo-yo comes along and buys it.
On the hardwoods, I usually just get a little bit of one species/size, so I made more racks.  If I don't have a vacant rack of the right size, I just make another one. ;)

Radar67

Ah, the old disappearing wood problem?  :D We all need that curse.  ;D

Stew

ohsoloco

I forgot I posted this, and it took me this long to realize that someone brought it back up to the top   :D

For my twelve footers, I went to using three 6x6's ('bout 4' long) on the ground, and then two 12' 6x6's on top of those which I use to support the 4x4's that run under all my stickers.  I really wanted to get away with using two since I wouldn't have to find so many level spots (there's always that high or low spot one of the timbers sits on  ::) ).  There doen't seem to be any problems with this setup.  I'm running my stickers on 2' centers.  I'll hafta take some pics of my stacks real soon  :)    Finally located some more tin to cover my stacks with, so I can finally start milling my board and batten siding  ;D

red

the picture is brian baileys  from a post called anticipation oct 17 2003
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

ohsoloco

I figured it must be Brian's...everyone always comments about how neatly his lumber is stickered  :D  I'll snap some pics one of these days  ::)  Finally got a computer for the house, but I just haven't got around to getting an ISP yet.  I tried dial up, once...it was like watching paint dry  :(  It'll be much easier when I can do this stuff at my own place...

ohsoloco

Been on a picture taking spree lately  :D  Just got done milling some spruce that is destined to be the sheathing on my house, already milled the white pine for the siding a couple weeks ago  ;D

This is twelve foot lumber.  There are three oak 4x4's on the ground...I'd much rather level up three pieces of blocking than all 6.  This also keeps the stacks well off the ground. 

This is how I've been making all of my stacks for over a year now.  I haven't noticed any problems doing it this way

Thank You Sponsors!