iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fresh pickins from the garden

Started by Patty, June 12, 2005, 04:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

The strawberries are abundant right now. We picked this basket full in no time!  :)

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Ernie

Envy envy envy, our winter is just starting :( :(

The only fruit I have left is citrus and persimmons and I LOVE strawberries
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

sawguy21

I had some fresh strawberries yesterday. DanG, they are good. Gotta love this time of year. Can't wait till the Okanagan cherries are ready.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ohsoloco

Those look like some tasty berries  :)   I've been watching the wild black raspberries and blackberries around my house ever since spring.  They're usually ready to pick the first week of July.  They're growing all over the one bank in the front yard, and my careful weed-eating has paid off with lots more plants springing up  8)  I'm also VERY excited that the cherries are producing this year. 

How did you plant your strawberries, Patty?  Don't you have to make some kind of "container" for them?  I heard they really like to spread.

Teri

Those berrys look good. I had a craving the other day for some strawberry shortcake. The berries in the store didn't look very healthy,so needless to say no dessert.  :(

sawguy21

Teri, those California or wherever  hothouse grown berries just  don't cut it do they? No juice and no flavor.. My dad grew them on  a south facing former chicken run. I remember picking them before going to school but a lot did not make it to the house. :D

Teri

No, theres nothing better than growing your own food.  :)  I hated it growing up 'cause we always had to be pulling weeds. Now I actually miss it!  ;D

sawguy21

I hated the weeding and picking too but sure liked the results. Still won't garden. Farmers market is a lot easier. :D

Teri

The farmers market is easier. :D :D

I'd rather grow it myself though as I like to be outside puttering around. I'm always working in the yard (not this year,brothers kids are doing it now) mowing or trimming bushes. Dad always had a fit when I trimmed. I scalped everything he'd say.  :D  It always looked good when I got done. ;D ;D

Paschale

Looking good, Patty!   8)

My raspberry patch is starting to look good--should have plenty of berries ripen, while I'm gone, and away from home.   ::)  Oh well, the birds and the neighbors will enjoy 'em.   ;)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Furby

Mmmmmmm...........
I guess I could swing by and keep the birds from eating them. ;)
Maybe that won't work after all.  smiley_headscratch

UNCLEBUCK

Yum Yum Patty ! My strawberry patch should be ready in 8 days here . Going to be interesting to see as I have the gurneys monster strawberries , last year I got one berry . Looks different this year . Have fun a pickin them !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Norm

We used to grow everbearers but switched to Junebearers a couple of years ago. They seem to yield better and taste better too. Last night Patty made shortcake and put the strawberries with ice cream on it. Ate so much I was miserable, but I'm sure I'll be back for more tonight. :D

Patty

Hey Oso,

We just put the berries out into the garden. We planted them 3 springs ago and they get fertilized with chiken manure in the fall which they seem to really enjoy. Yep they have spread out some, and choked out most of the weeds  :) they are growing to densely. I have a large yard, so I figure they can spread out as much as they want as long as they produce. I have rhubarb to the north of them, and the rhubarb seems to hold its own against the invasion of strawberries.  Did you know that rhubarb leaves make a great weed deterent? I am delighted to announce that when you pick your rhubarb, and cut those giant leaves off, just lay the leaves down where you don't want weeds, like in the garden paths and around the perimeter, and the weeds won't come through. It is awesome. 8)  Twenty years of gardening and I just figured this out last year. ::)  But, hey, it works!
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Ianab

Mmm... Well strawberries are all very nice...

We have another berry in NZ that you folks have probabably never seen - Konini - berries of the Kotukutuku tree ( I am NOT making these names up)

It's a species of fuschia (like the ornamental garden type)

It grows wild along stream edges in the forest, just imagine a garden fuscia bush 30 ft tall and you get the idea. Anyway it has small purple berries (konini) that are rather nice to eat.
It does freak out the city folks when you are walking through the bush and reach up and grab a random berry and say.. 'try this'  ;) I had to eat a whole handfull to prove that it wasn't some practical joke. They are very sweet with a mild sort of 'berry' flavour....

Acutally I wonder if it could be the next big thing....  ;) :D

ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

Interesting isn't it. We have saskatoon berries growing wild here and the Europeans banned import because they were not proven safe for human consumption ::).  Lot of city folk won't touch them because they are wild. They are a small tart berry and are great mixed with other sweeter fruit in a pie or cobbler. Also make really good jelly

Roxie

Kotukutuku~           geshundtite Ianab!   :)
Say when

Teri

ohsoloco

Ian, that reminds me of a few summers back when I was still doing groundskeeping and maintenance for some apartment buildings.  One of the tenants were outside while my co-worker and I walked up to this big black cherry tree next to the building and started eating the cherries.  "oh my, I didn't know you could eat those," she said  ::)  Those were some of the tastiest cherries I've ever eaten  :)  I hope I get some cherries at my place before the birds do.

Patty, nice tip about the rhubarb leaves  ;)  Those leaves are HUGE, it wouldn't take much to cover a path with them.  I always hestitated to put them in with the compost b/c they contain a poison.  I used to make compost out of the grass clippings, but now I just put them on the garden around all of the plants at least 4 or more inches deep.  Very few weeds come up, it keeps moisture in the ground, and fertilizes to boot  8)

DanG, I'm getting hungry thinking about berries. 

Patty

Oh yea, grass clippings work fine also. We don't bag our clippings with the mower, so that means I would actually have to get a rake out and do physical work!   :o    Needless to say the grass clippings are staying on the lawn.  :D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Tom

I'm not sure how hardwood sawdust would do, but, I've spread pine sawdust out about 3 inches thick and walked on it till it was packed down good.   Have used it for a patio and walking trail. It stayed for about 3 years.  Water won't pass through it and nothing will grow through it.   Eventually some wild grasses did poke their head through it but you could tell it had been a strain.

Try some sawdust on your garden trails.

mometal77

Anyone ever have a liking for tayberry?
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Paschale

I bag my clippings, so I use 'em as mulch in the garden.  Last year, I used some Ash shavings too, which worked well, though you gotta be careful with wood shavings, since they can form a hard crust on top which is impervious to moisture getting through.  Stir it up a bit after the first and second rainfalls, and then the lower layers should be pretty well-moistened, and then, at least from my experience last year, they should wick the moisture to the ground really well, while at the same time preventing the weeds from getting through.

Never heard of a tayberry...tell us about it!  I love hearing about unique fruits and veggies.   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Patty

Do any of you have trouble with mice living under the mulch and eating all the vegetables? In the past when we use grass clippings or straw the mice move in like crazy.  >:(
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Bro. Noble

Patty,  you could get some cats,  but that might be worse than mice.  We are trying to start flower beds at our new location and the most damage we have had is from a pair of kittens :D

Just got in from milking and noticed our onion bed needed thinning.  Saw a few pods on the sugar snap peas.  Just polished off some new peas and onions along with my hashbrowns and cornbread ;D

I'm gonna read a little forum and go saw now :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!