iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmizer table type bandsaw .blade rotation

Started by Polly, February 03, 2007, 10:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polly

8) :-[ :-[     i know this will be considered a dumb question so excuse my ignorance , a couple months ago i bought a woodmizer brand table band saw at local auction , took it home and plugged it up  when running the blade runs counterclockwise toward the blade guide instead downward toward the table or clockwise is this correct or does the motor need reversing or what is wrong :-\ :-\ 8)

BBTom

I have no recollection of WoodMizer ever building a table type bandsaw.  Maybe someone with the company could be more certain. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

LT40HDD51

I've never heard of a WM table-type bandsaw.... Doesnt mean they never made one.... I'd like to see a pic or two.

If it turns backwards (pretty much have to turn downwards towards the table, Id think) I wonder if someone switched the motor for a different one or something. If you could turn the motor around and mount it on the opposite side this would make it turn the blade the opposite way. That would be the cheap fix. Is it 110v or 220v? A 220 motor is more likely to be able to be rewired to run backwards, I think. They are usually better built (heavier duty).
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

logwalker

You need to get it running towards the table. Maybe a wiring diagram in side the cover on the motor to reverse direction. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

theorm

When running the blade runs counterclockwise toward the blade guide instead downward toward the table or clockwise. Is this correct or does the motor need reversing or what is wrong?

If the motor is 3 phase, swapping 2 sets of the wires will make it spin the opposite direction.

Theo

8)
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

Polly

8) 8)   it is 110 volt  on the side of the blade shield it says woodmizer and has model no. you all are right i would say it dates back at least into the 1970 s  i called woodmizer to order blades and they refered me to a place in chicago they did say they made it the blade tensioning is same as on my lt 40 1988 model i would say the motor is not original i would get you a picture except it is in my unheated shop about one quarted mile from house and it is cold here we live on top of a hill and wind is blowing like crazy i do not rember where it is possible to mount the motor different or not this is a nice old saw if i can figure out how to reverse the blade i thought some of you might have one 8)

BBTom

I stand corrected, and glad that I am still able to learn something new every day! 

There should be a way to reverse the motor,  normally directions are given on the motor plate, or on the inside of the connector box cover.

Would love to see pictures ( even when the weather gets better)!!   ;D
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Polly

8) 8)i will try to post pictures it will probly be a couple weeks i got to check in hospital tuesday for total knee replacement  .it is to cold around here to stay home  :D :D :D 8)

leweee

Ron....take care & Good Luck with the surgery. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

cut2size

I am looking at the 1987 Woodmizer catalog.  The band saw that they are selling is the Model B249 Bandsaw.  It has a one HP 110 motor with three speed adjusted by belts and pulleys, 24" throat 9" cutting height .  It takes 109 1/2" blades from 1/8 to3/4". tilting table.
The advertisement says that it is more than a bandsaw.  It has the power to resaw firewood into precisely sized boards.  The tilt table lets it cut more angles and bevels than the best mitersaw.  The large throat capacity lets you do panel and sheeting cuts once reserved for a tablesaw.  It also does the work of a scrollsaw.  The model B249--a bandsaw, a scrollsaw, a resaw, a mitersaw, a tablesaw, and a whole lot more.
The picture shows the blade going in the proper direction from the upper blade guides down to the table  Otherwise it would lift the item being sawed and could not be very accurate.
David
P.S. It was offered with an optional stand incorporating a dust collection bag and rubber feet for firm footing.
cut2size

LT40HDD51

Well thats pretty neat.  :) Good one for some of the older WM guys who have seen it all. Gonna ask the ol man if he remembers it...

cut2size, you must have some neat older literature  :P I'm gonna go dig around in the barn and see what neat stuff I can find...
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

LT40HDD51

Talked to my father tonight, he said he remembers the smaller shop type bandsaw being offered years ago. Sounds like a great find, he said he's sorry for not getting one himself. 3 blade wheels in a triangle formation, real big throat capacity like cut2size says. Good score, let me know if u wanna sell it  :D :D :D

logwalker

Three small wheels are hard on bands. But I like the three speeds.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

JimBuis

If the motor is 110 volts, you should be able to switch the leads on the start windings.  Where the power cord goes into the end of the motor, there should be an access plate held on my two screws.  Unplug the saw, shut off a circuit breaker, or whatever you have to do to cut the power to the machine.  Remove the access plate.  Sometimes there will be a wiring diagram under that cover.  Sometimes it will be on a stick on label affixed to the side of the motor.  What you are looking for will likely be two wires that connect to a small circuit board under that cover via spade terminals.  Unplug those two wires and reverse them on those spade terminals.  Replace the cover, turn the power back on, and test run the motor.  It should now be running in the proper direction.

If the motor has capacitors attached to it, i.e. cylindrical or oval shaped objects that are either black plastic or metal canisters, you may have different connections to analyze and a schematic may be required or the assistance of an electrician.

I hope this helps.  If you do not feel comfortable with any of this, call an electrician.  You want to be safe ahead of saving a few dollars.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Thank You Sponsors!