iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Introducing myself

Started by Rando, October 16, 2011, 10:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rando

I've been reading here for a while now and find the topics and knowledge quite educational to say the least.
Live in western CT with my wife and 3 dogs, bullmastiff, mastiff and a Neopolitan mastiff crossed with a mastiff. We don't worry about the recent breakins here with these puppies! We also have a house and some property in central NY, about 35 acres.
I own a small landscaping and tree service business. Hate seeing all those trees 17" and under going through our chipper!
Hoping to buy a mill next year and start making lumber for some building I want to build in NY. In the meantime I'll start saving some logs if I can get to them before my partner chips them.
Better get back to reading, on page 21 now.
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bandmill Bandit

welcome aboard. Buying a saw mill may be hazardous to your personal life. Saw dust in the blood is worse the heroin.  ;D

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Rando.

It's a great place to learn and to help others.

When I first found this site I went to the last page in the Sawing and Milling section and read my way up to the first!

Lots of good reading.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

zopi

Welcome! You are on the right track...I own a landscape maintenance service, and we do alot of tree work...it can be a nice added profit center, or a hobby which will pay for istelf over amd over again....
I took a standing dead red maple down for a nice lady up the road..charity job..life keeps hitting her with a nine iron, so I try to help..plus I get to play with her old horse..anyway...I sawed the second trunk log out of it this morning, yielded quite a few boarts which were both quilted and spalted...not sure how rare that is...but that sucker is going in my personal stash for awhile...
When you get a mill...get a portable job...as much mill as you can swing...you will not regret it....recovering urban timber curbside is great advertising...pretty often folks will stop to see you saw and somebody will ask how much for the lumber...never realizing that it is waste...alot of balance to that...in a world which seems to need some balance..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

T Welsh

Rando, Welcome to the authority of all things good that deals with wood! Jeff keeps a clean house and all are welcome as long as you follow the house rules. I have had a tree service for over 30 years and felt like you, can not keep selling and cutting these logs for some one else. I researched the net and found this site and have never looked back, all the info. I gathered lead me to a LT40HD Woodmizer and if I had to do it again,I would not change my mind. get comfortable and tell us more! Tim

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Rando, and good luck with your sawmill buying venture next year.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

island boy

Hey Rando, Welcome aboard. I also am new to FF and I have to say there isn't a better place to get advise and info when it comes to this topic. I grew up in the small western CT town of Goshen with Mohawk State Forest as my backyard.... Beautiful part of the state. Anywhere near there?

paul case

welcome .   good to have another tree service guy on here. i am into tree guts myself. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forestry Forum! I'm in the corner of Mass near CT and NY. Probably not far from you if you are in western CT.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

eastberkshirecustoms

Welcome, I'm a noob myself, but still....
I agree, this place is a wealth of knowledge and wisdom!

mad murdock

Welcome to the forestry forum Rando.  Many years ago one of my brothers and I teamed up with a tree service guy, who had been stockpiling his cuttings for about 10 years.  Lucky for us he had the room to store the wood.  He had a lot of nice stuff in his stach, we had a self loader truck and the knowledge of markets, we sold a lot of saw logs, veneer, and some pulp and firewood, from what he had collected.  He had about about 100 cords of wood stacked up if memory serves, like you, he couldn't see sending it all to firewood, or pulp chips.  We helped him recover a lot of $$ from that, plus we teamed up with him on several "large" tree jobs, where we took the wood put it straight on the truck and hauled it to the sawmill/veneer mill, and would pay his customer an incentive to give us the wood, which would knock a lot off of his bill, and in a couple cases, paid for his part of the service, while we were able to make a cut as well.  I am sure there is a lot of $$ you will be able to recover having a mill in your arsenal of tools!  Sounds like another terminal case of Sibs (sawdust in blood sydrome) to me! ;D  The only cure will be to cut more lumber!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Rando

island boy, I'm in Bridgewater, a bit south of Goshen. Litchfield sure is a beautiful county.
Dave Shepard, I've been to West Stockbridge several times as friends here are from there. Alford sounds familiar to me.
Thank you all for the welcome.
I talked to another tree guy Saturday night and asked him what he does with his big logs. Sounds like I could get logs from him also. Our town could be a resource also as they need to get rid of wood all the time and I'm friends with the town crew.
Just need to get through this winter, read a bunch and bite the bullet for a sawmill.

Dave Shepard

I'm the next town over from West Stockbridge.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Rando

Dave, do you have a farm? My friend said she thought the Shepards had a farm there.
She grew up across the street from that Church that burned down and they still have services at. Her family lives on that road and has a farm. Maybe Doyle was her last name.

Dave Shepard

Yes, my family is still milking cows, one of the last dairy farms around.

Your friend must be one of the Faddings. My grandparents were married at that church.

Rando

Faddings, yes, heard her say that name now that you mention it.
Beautiful up that way.

UpInATree

Welcome to FF!  Great group of sawyers and tree guys who share their triumphs and mistakes....Sawdust University
Wood-mizer LT70HD D55 Wireless, Wood-Mizer ED-26, A whole bunch of Stihls. Alaskan Mill 74",  Bucket Truck, Log Truck, Chippers, trailers, dump trucks,   Kubota M9540, L3010D and B7510. Cord King.   Learning Timberframing under Jim Rogers

Bill Gaiche

mometal77

Welcome to the forum rando,island guy
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Meadows Miller

Gday

And welcome to the forum Rando  ;) ;D 8) sounds like you have a good plan in place there are afew fellas on here who deal with tree lopping logs on a regular basis including myself  ;) have you any thought so what type off mill you are getting Mate  ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Piston

Rando,
A big welcome to the forum and glad you introduced yourself.  You'll notice (if you haven't already  ;D) that it's a very friendly place to hang out. 

Based on what you've written in your introduction, we have a lot in common! 

QuoteLive in western CT with my wife and 3 dogs, bullmastiff, mastiff and a Neopolitan mastiff crossed with a mastiff. We don't worry about the recent breakins here with these puppies!

I live a couple hours away in central MA with my wife and 3 dogs, fawn english mastiff male, brindle english mastiff female, and female st. bernard.  I can relate with not worrying about security with the dogs around  ;D

QuoteWe also have a house and some property in central NY, about 35 acres.
We have some property, about 30 acres in central NH, and will be working on a house up there in the near future. 

I'm probably looking into this too far  :D :D but it's ironic that Dave Shepherd knows some friends of yours.  When I first started this forum I found out he knew some friends of the family as well. 

Or...maybe Dave just knows a loooooot of people  :D

Anyways welcome and if you ever want to try out an LT15 come on up for a visit.

Have you figured out posting pics yet?  A pic of the pups would be a great place to start  ;)

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!