iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My day.........UPDATE

Started by Woodhauler, July 18, 2012, 07:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Was a bad one! Caught a fiber optic line with my truck! Took down 2 poles,phone lines , power lines, for at least 300 yards! Line caught right above my loader seat! Line was around 12.5-13 feet over the road ! I was loaded with 10 cord of tree length firewood. Ripped all the pipes and hoses off my loader. 2 grand worth of parts! only good thing is phone company is liable because lines were to low!! Sheriff , power company and fire department all sided with me! And they never called the weigh cops!  Will be going tomorrow!  Almost gave me heart failure.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

snowstorm

how many times dose this make? was kinda nice of them not to call the dot.

Autocar

Yip sounds like a bad day, like snowstorm said you were lucky they didn't call the deisel cops.
Bill

Kemper

I had a bad day also, but maybe not quite that bad. My fuel injector pump went out on my barko. Had to take it off in direct sun light in 101 degree weather.

EricR

Its good to know I wasnt the only one who had a crappy day.  I opened my garage this afternoon to find my 372xp and 038 magnum along with about $4000 worth of other tools and equipment had been stolen sometime last night

Woodhauler

Quote from: snowstorm on July 18, 2012, 08:21:05 PM
how many times dose this make? was kinda nice of them not to call the dot.
First time! Other bthen a few random low wires over the last 30 years,this is by far my worst !
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Norm

I think I'd have gone home immediately and changed my shorts! :D

thecfarm

That's why my phone wouldn't work.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Well at least the phone company was liable, usually they just blame the trucker cause it is easier :( Those fiber optic lines are $$$$, the biggest fear when running an excavator is digging up one of those, or a gas line.
Too many irons in the fire

sandhills

I think I'd worry a little more about the gas lines  :D.  The owner of the John Deere shop in a small neighboring town got in a new JD cutter, the biggest they made and took his kids for a joy ride in it a few years back.  Toured main street just to show it off and suddenly everyone in town was without cable tv, he'd left the spout up.  One of my friends had gotten a picture of him standing by the cutter and put an add in the paper with the picture that read something like "Free cable television disconnection, just call (his number)".  I think everybody in town called him  :D.

Woodhauler

Quote from: barbender on July 19, 2012, 10:19:13 AM
Well at least the phone company was liable, usually they just blame the trucker cause it is easier :( Those fiber optic lines are $$$$, the biggest fear when running an excavator is digging up one of those, or a gas line.
I am still waiting for the phone company to admit they are at fault! Won't do a thing till they see a police report! I got it all fixed today,cost me almost 2 days work plus parts and labor! Almost 2 grand in pipes hoses, oil and labor!  Had to threaten them with a lawyer today! He says as soon as hesees the report saying the wire was to low and my truck was ok, we can talk. State law says all lines over public ways in maine are to be 18feet!

Ed_K

Wow, :o that was a bad day.I was told once that breaking a fiber optic line was around $2500. an hour for repair.We caught it with an earthmover,boss not a happy camper.
Glad your truck didn't get tangled in the power line and catch fire.
Ed K

snowstorm

good luck dealing with fairpoint...... you'll need it. dont forget to bill them for being down foe 2 days.

Woodhauler

Quote from: snowstorm on July 19, 2012, 08:08:56 PM
good luck dealing with fairpoint...... you'll need it. dont forget to bill them for being down foe 2 days.
When i get them to admit fault, thats vwhen i'm going to tell them i need down time too!

HiTech

Was digging up a sewer line one time and the city engineer and gas and power companies and yes the telephone company was there. They have maps galore. They all cleared the area i was to dig in. After about an hour I hit something. I wasn't sure what it was but could feel it. I stopped and got the brain trust together and they went over their maps again. They came back and told me to dig it up as it wasn't anything they were concerned about. Jumped back on the backhoe and started digging, the second bucket and up it came. A telephone line with a gazillion wires in it. They weren't happy. lol They cleared me to dig so I wasn't responsible for the repair.

clww

I'd like to second what Ed K said: I'm glad nothing caught on fire,too! ::)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

treefarmer87

I took down power lines twice.... its good that you are ok and didnt get hurt.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Shotgun

Many years ago(!) while aerial spraying for gypsy moth, we (State Department of Agriculture) had two brand new pneumatic telescoping aluminum towers with a strobe light on the top, one mounted one a jeep, and one on a pickup truck, provided by the USDA.  They were the leading edge of technology for providing aerial flight marking at the time, and went up to about 40 or 50 feet, maybe higher. You could see these strobe lights from the air for miles. We would put the tower up and when the spray plane passed, the tower would come quickly down and the unit would move to the next swath width location. In his haste while setting at an intersection, one of the operators didn't bring the tower down and moved the unit toward the next flight swath marking point.  Electric lines, lots of sparks, and a destroyed strobe tower was the result.  It was pretty exciting for a while. We all called him Sparky after that.  He didn't live it down for years.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Woodhauler

Little update, I have been calling fairpoint daily! The sheriffs office said that fairpoint had a copy of they report and the woman told me what it said! It said that the accident was caused by fairpoints negligence in maintaining the lines! When i finally got ahold of the guy today that is handling the issue, he said he hasn't seen the report yet! I told him i can tell you what it says. I told him and he said he would contact me monday to discus a settlement! The cop wrote in his report that my load was below the stakes and securely bound down. Now its a waiting game! I'm sure they will low ball me but i have a price in mind! Just want my repairs and my down time. I'm not like the guy who slipped on the grape at the grocery store! Just want whats owed to me. ;D

js2743

I wouldnt think they will just hand over money to you because of a police report without going through a lawyer. They will try to get out of it if any way possible with a lawyer that they pay the big bucks just for things like this. Good luck, hope it goes as smooth for you as your wishing, But i would be prepared for a battle.

Migal

Dang that is not right whats up they are at fault but have to have proof Hmm and Lawyer will suck more for him than you, have you ask just for them to look at report and make me a fair offer I hate what the world and lawyers have done to it... What's wrong with Holding your Head up High Shoulder's back and looking the Straight in the Eye !!!
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Ianab

Hopefully as your claim is reasonable, parts and repair time, a few thousand?, they will pay it rather than paying MORE to a lawyer to fight it.

Otherwise the small amount would let you take it through a small claims court, which doesn't involve lawyers or cost an arm and a leg.

But see how things pan out. It might take time for it to work through their system and reach the desk of someone that can actually make a decision.  ::) In the meantime, be the "squeaky wheel", and make sure they don't try and "loose" the whole issue.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Norm

I would make sure they know that small claims court is where this will end up if not paid in a timely manor. You can represent yourself but they'll have to pay a lawyer to go for them.

snowstorm

words from the boss ar well she thinks she is. let your insurance co deal with it. they will chase fairpoint.

Thank You Sponsors!