iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feet getting longer?

Started by kderby, October 31, 2012, 09:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kderby

I had been a shoe size 12EE for over thirty years.  Then I had some issues with bruised toenails while out elk hunting.  A friend said "Sure, your feet get longer as you age."  I had not see that in the owners manual! >:( :o

Now I have gone to size 13EE for over the counter shoes.  I am happy as a clam.  My fancy boots (White Smokejumpers) are still OK.  Whew! 8)

The recent post by magicman showing his toes reminded me to share this.  Magicman if you read this, can you post another toe photo here?  Then, go get some longer shoes...perhaps ;D before the next elk season. 8) 8) 8)

Kderby

doctorb

Feet have a longitudinal arch, as seen when looking at the instep of the foot.  As we age some of he plantar fascia that holds the arch in its curved shape can deteriorate and stretch.  Other times, the bones within the arch deteriorate and can collapse.  Either way, as the arch flattens, the length of the base that was the original distance from one side to the other elongates.  I honestly haven't heard much about this in orthopaedics and will ask for further info from my foot and ankle colleagues to verify that I am not feeding you a load of bull.  Arch collapse is very well known in diabetics with neuropathy and creates what is called a Charcot (pronounced "Shar-co") Foot deformity.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

sprucebunny

My feet got a size and a half bigger about 12 years ago. It was painful for a couple years. I used to have a very high arch and now, I don't. Between minor bunions and very wide forefoot, I had to stop wearing most shoes. Crocs are my friends in summer and Muck boots or Viking chainsaw boots the rest of the year.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Magicman

Quote from: kderby on October 31, 2012, 09:53:20 PM
Magicman if you read this 

I read it but I think that I was almost banned  (woodsheded) for posting that picture.    :-X 
Anyway, if your eyes can stand it:

I tried on all of my boots yesterday, and I am going to bump them up at least ½ size.  :-\  $$$
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grweldon

I don't know which is worse, my chainsaw cut pictures or the picture of your toes!  Get that nail fungus taken care of!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Magicman

I know that it looks like it, but that is not toenail fungus.  That is bruised toes with blood under the toenails.  Those toenails will come off.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

blackfoot griz

Ouch...Those poor toes kinda' look like flattened out elk ivorys!

clww

UUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!
I've now seen this picture TWICE today!
TWO-MUCH! :o :o :o
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

You ought to see them now.....but you are not.   :o 

They actually look worse now, but thankfully feel better.  Last Wednesday I could hardly walk, but I did.

WH_Conley

Interesting thread. I have been having fits with bone spurs on both heels and a Planters Wart that been frozen 3 times. My MD has not been able to help much.
Bill

kderby

Mr. Magic that is the photo!  My toes have looked much the same, even having a damaged big toenail from a dropped timber.  That time the nail lifted off, turned purple and still is not right.  I was in bed with ice, elevation and whimpering after the boots came off.  I know your pain.

I live rural/remote.  Someday I could learn a lot from a visit to a podiatrist.  Someday. :P ::)

Feet are a solid value similar to eyes and hearing with me.  Good boots are not expensive they are worthy.  Safety glasses, hearing protection, saw chaps and good boots...can I get an amen brothers? 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Magicman

You certainly will from me.  The foot soles also contain many more nerves than other parts of the body enabling you to feel very small foreign objects inside of your shoes.  I suppose to keep you from forming blisters, etc.

The human body is a well designed machine, almost as if we were created by a "Higher Being".   ;)

doctorb

Magic-

I think your intent on how sensitive the soles of the feet are is correct, but the fingertips are propably the place on the extremities with the most tactile nerve innervation, not the bottom of the feet.  here's a test....

Take a paper clip and unbend it into a single "U" shape.  Bend it until the tips are about 1.0 centimeter apart.  With your eyes closed, have someone gently press the two ends of the paper clip into the sole of your foot and then try the pad on the tip of your finger (not the end).  Certainly, you will feel two different points of contact on your finger.  Do you feel two points on the bottom of your foot or one.  If you do feel two points on the bottom of your foot, halve the distance between the paper clip points to about 5 mm.  Try the test again.  See if you can discriminate whether you feel two points of contact or one.  Have your tester try to fool you by only using one point sometimes and two points the others.  I think you'll find this interesting, but you need a willing partner to get near those feet. :D  Anyway, your ability to determine "2 point discrimination" is best in the hand, indicating an increase in nerve innervation and sensitivity.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

blackfoot griz

Doctor B
Another fun one to try. (I have visions of MM trying this one :D)
Sit so that you can freely move your right foot in a clockwise circle (looking down at it) and keep it going.  While your right foot is moving, take your right hand and in the air above your head draw an imaginary "6" in the air....take note what happens to the right foot when drawing the 6!

doctorb

My foot fell off.  What number do I trace with my hand to have it reattached?

Shotgun

Quote from: doctorb on November 02, 2012, 07:27:56 PM
My foot fell off.  What number do I trace with my hand to have it reattached?

Is this one of those doctor terms?  It's not one I'm familiar with.  But then, I'm not a doctor.    ;)
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

doctorb

Sorry about the poor spelling!.  Above is corrected.  It's hard to write so soon after losing my foot!

Shotgun

Quote from: doctorb on November 02, 2012, 07:58:13 PM
Sorry about the poor spelling!.  Above is corrected.  It's hard to write so soon after losing my foot!

:D

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

blackfoot griz

I did that little foot circle challenge a few years ago at a triaining session I was doing.  It was really funny to see people later in the day in their offices trying it over and over!

Doc, I don't know.  Perhaps try counterclockwise and drawing a 9?

Magicman

Fact is, I do have some sort of abnormality with my feet that only a Doctor can pronounce.  I was given foot exercises, and prescribed special insoles to wear.  The soles of my feet are practically numb, but they still hurt.  I just had to make my mind up that if I was going anywhere, my feet would have to take me, so off I go.  I have not and will not let this keep me from going, albeit slower, but going.

doctorb, I am confidant that you are correct about the finger tips, it's just that I never get a small object between my hands and insole that keeps me from walking.   ;D   :)   :D

Magicman

A second toenail came off this morning.  That is two down and two to go.  Thankfully they do not hurt, but ugly....yeah.   ;D

blackfoot griz

Thanks for just telling us about the lost toenail MM!

thurlow

Pictures?  We doan need no stinkin pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :snowball:
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Roxie

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!