The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: The Wait is Over  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Happycamper

• In Memoriam
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
The Wait is Over
« on: March 06, 2013, 09:37:34 PM »
Today I went in to WM and tried a brand new mill LT10 (raising the head) which has been an issue. The new machine took 70 to 100 Lbs. of pressure to move the head to the top the same as mine for a 24 inch log.  So I thanked Gary for all the help given to me and said I will keep the mill and work with it from there. I could have returned it but that is not what I wanted to do. He admitted that it is a (problem) with them as the gas cylinders just don't help. So it is on the boat trailer and up and running and there is sawdust in my boots. It is an impressive little machine and will do all I am capable of doing I'm sure. Stay tuned for updates. And thank you all in the forum for your understanding and encouragement on this issue
                                        Jim

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Offline swampbuggy

• Full Member x2
  • TK 2000,Tru-Cut 70, JCB930, B21 Kubota
    • Share Post
Re: The Wait is Over
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 10:19:17 PM »
Great minds think alike!
Good luck with your new mill.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Offline rimshot

• Full Member x2
  • not still new but still learning
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 10:30:58 PM »

My brand new lt 10 motorhead has a high resistance to movement up and down and I have been back and forth with WM over this problem too long w/o a solution.  I have asked thie different techs and nobody has said a thing about it being an issue even though I have learned others have had the same complaint righth along.  Other than that the lt10 is a great machine and very well put together.

I have come to the conclusion there is no fix for it.  Unfortunately for me nobody seems to be getting back with me on it and It is seeming like my issue might be overlooked by them.  They need to look into the reasoning and come up with a solution before the problem blows up.  WM is a fine company with an excellent product and and a good working relationship with their customers.  I am only telling of my experience certainly not bashing this fine company.  I hope to not be disappointed however my machine is new enough it could be sent back.  I hope this doesnt have to happen.

rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 10:42:38 PM »
I haven't looked at the LT10 closely, what is the mechanism for making the vertical adjustment?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 07:32:46 AM »
I too would like to have a look, there is no reason for this, bearing surfaces can be tricky, to loose and they bind in movement just as bad as not enough clearance;  It kinda reminds me how the log clamps work, just enough angle, bind and hold,  there has to be a way to fix this, they are way to simple,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline Happycamper

• In Memoriam
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 07:47:29 AM »
There are two little gas charged cylinders (like the ones on the back door in a van) in the upper part of the head which control the two cables to the head. They are supposed to help with up and down movement. However one needs 70 to 100 pounds of pressure to raise the head up which is very difficult especially at the higher elevation. They just don't help. WM replaced mine last week and it works no better. I have sent an email to WM and hopefully I will get an answer. Meanwhile I have devised a mickey mouse method of raising the head as I CANNOT raise it otherwise without this help.
                                   Jim

Jim

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 08:20:33 AM »
hope you get it happy,  I feel for you,  have a good day,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline Happycamper

• In Memoriam
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 08:32:42 AM »
I have emailed WM and mentioned that I believe that this is a Design Failure in the LT10 and the head cannot be raised without assistance from an outside source. Otherwise the mill is very very well built and I know I will have years of enjoyment with it. I do hope and Expect that they will do something about this problem that all LT10 owners have experienced although some have not come forward about the issue.
                                           Jim

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 08:53:10 AM »
Happycamper sorry to hear of your mill troubles, If nothing is binding or dragging to prevent the saw head from moving it sounds like the lift assist cylinders are "running out of steam" before the job is done. I see you have worked around it with a block and tackle system. Of course the real cure would be lift cylinders that did the job required.

One idea that jumped in to my mind would be to add a counter weight with a rope or cable an a couple of pulleys to balance out the saw head so the lift assist would have less to lift. I hope it all gets sorted out and working properly for you.

Hilltop366

Offline Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 09:04:13 AM »
I'm sure a company with a reputation like Wood-Mizer's will put just as much effort into resolving this issue as they would if it were one of the big mills.  We know they're reading these posts.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Offline roghair

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 08:41:40 PM »
I think there is a relatively easy solution for Wood-Mizer to solve this problem:

Here in The Netherlands we have many old houses with vertical sliding windows (slash). These windows used to have counterweights to open them and keep them open.
During his study my son lived in Delft in an old house with these huge sliding windows. To save money on the heating I decided to replace the glass and install double glazing. What I did not realize upfront was the increase in weight by about 50 kg.
After replacing the glass it was almost impossible to open the window and put something in the window frame to keep it open.

From what I read here, this is exactly the problem whith the LT10.

I searched for a solution for the (too heavy) sliding windows and found a company that makes  "pre-tensioned Torso double sprung balances"; they work fantastic! Easy to install (only 20-25 mm diam.)
I think originally it is a Dutch patent and I bought them from a Dutch company that manufactures them, but also found a UK based company so you can read about it in English.

Because the springs are pre-tensioned the force is equal regardless of the position of the head.

I think if WM (or anyone else) replaces the gas cylinders for the right pre-tensioned torso balances, the problem can be solved!

Here is a link to the UK based company:
http://www.caldwell.co.uk/products/sash_fr.htm
http://www.caldwell.co.uk/pdf/846.pdf

I am happy to order a pair of these for you if I know exactly how heavy the head is, what the max vertical movement is and what the dimensions are to build it in.
built a sawmill

Offline Happycamper

• In Memoriam
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 10:01:54 PM »
rimshot,
   Don't give up we are not done yet.
                              Jim

Offline rimshot

• Full Member x2
  • not still new but still learning
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 07:58:19 AM »
Hi Roghair,

Sounds like a great solution and I thank you for bringing it out.  For now I am going to have to let Woodmizer deal with it to spare my factory warranty.  I have not heard from them  yet but they have promised to get back with me.  I am confident (at leat hoping) they live up to their reputation and tend to this problem.  We will keep you in mind.

Thanks again

happycamper.........keep up hope

rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Offline Happycamper

• In Memoriam
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 08:07:11 AM »
rimshot,
   Jacob Mooney is dealing with this issue and I hope to hear back from him today. He agrees that they LT10 should not work in this way. He has been in contact with the WM people where I bought the mill and they concur with  my, our, findings with it.
                                     Jim

Offline Mooney

• Sponsor
  • Life is good... :-)
    • Share Post
    • Green Light Marketing Solutions
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 12:45:41 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, we have some ideas were looking into.

Offline bozzaa69

• not new anymore
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 10:24:10 PM »
Why can't they just give you a spring assist like they use on the LT-15?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
cant wait

Started by coxy on The Outdoor Board

0 Replies
Last post December 08, 2013, 05:14:42 PM
by coxy
xx
LT-15 is going to have to wait...

Started by Clean Image on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 05:17:52 PM
by cutterboy