My Lucas 827

Started by Runningalucas, June 27, 2013, 10:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Runningalucas

Hi All,

First post, long time reader...... ;)  I want to start off by stating that I've learned an awful lot from reading the posts by the numerous knowledgeable members on this forum; I appreciate it.

So, not that long ago, I bought a used Lucas 827; I believe it was a 2004, or 05 model.  The mill only had 95 hours on it, but was just more accumulations for the guy who bought it.  He had too much stuff, and instead of learning, and using all the crap he bought, he  just went out, and bought more.

Apparently, all 95 hours were put on the machine by his neighbor who was borrowing the mill(this proved to be a mistake).  Out of the three blades, one came from the factory with a chipped tooth(this blade was lost), there was the one on the machine, and the third brand new blade.

When I bought it, I didn't have much of a clue about Lucas Sawmills; as far as the particulars.  I got it home, and after some messed up attempts at milling in which the blade always rode up in the cut; I called Bailey's.  I think I was talking to DJ, but who ever told me to take a framing square, to check the blade; to insure it was flat. 

Sure enough, the blade was severely warped.  I got out the 5mm allen wrench, and accompanying open ended wrench to take the blade off, and 'no go'.  The bolts were seized; three out of the bunch.  I tried an impact driver, and to no avail.  I ended up taking the whole machine to to a machine shop in town,  They ended up having to grind the bolt heads, and blade off the saw; in order to relieve tension on the bolt threads.

The bolts never had any anti seize added; which now is obvious as being absolutely necessary.

Overall, I guess this is a lesson in not accumulating so much crap, that you never learn how to properly use what you have, or let it fall into disrepair, and neglect. 

I replaced the blade with the last new blade, and used anti seize liberally on all threads.  The 827 took some getting used to, and also learning how to saw the logs for maximum benefit.  At first, I cut my logs to 20'6", and winched them into the mill from the end, but quickly realized with such length, it wasn't worth it; so much waste due to slight variations, or curves in the logs, and time spent to winch them in.

The lengths, I found I liked the best are 8', and 12'; which can just be rolled into the mill from the side. These lengths also allows me to skid the logs out of the woods in the easier to move 20' lengths.  it took me a while to figure out how to maximize the lumber out of a given log, but I think I've somewhat got it figured out.  The online tool box here also helped me to refine what I can get out of a log.

From the first couple days, where I spent all day on a couple logs a day, now I've quadrupled the amount of logs I can go through in shorter time.  My stacks of lumber have increased, while the amount of waste has gone down significantly. 

One thing I learned off the cuff, was that if I was cutting two logs at the same time, and one was longer than the other, it's a heck of a lot easier to load the short log onto the left side, or 'first', and then the longer log; this enabled the swing blade to rotate while just out of the cut, rather than having to move past the longer log to rotate(if they were reversed).

Another thing that works really well for myself, is to simply move the smaller slabs that are waste over to the left hand side of the mill(from the operators perspective), and leave them until the usable lumber is milled, and pulled off.  I then take the chainsaw, and buck up those, and the slab left on the bottom, into firewood.......  Doing it in this manner, while my partner raises the mill, and loads the next couple logs, means there's very little left 'to do later'; which I really like.

Overall, I'm pleased with the simplicity of the mill, production, and operation.  What I don't really like about the mill, was imho, a lack of information on the Lucas sawmill website in regards to the different 'tricks' that can be employed to aid in faster, and more productive usage of the mill.  Don't get me wrong, not bad, but not great, and I wish it were better. 

Aside from that subject, I'm looking forward to reading the great posts, and knowledgeable incites on this board.  It looks to be a great place, and a place that can offer incites that otherwise only the school of hardnocks could provide.

Thanks Again :)

Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Okrafarmer

Welcome, RALucas! I'm glad to hear you're getting it figured out. There is a lot to learn on here. Where do you live? I just visited FF member Seaman a few weeks ago and saw his Lucas in action.  :)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

thecfarm

Runningalucas,welcome to the forum. All the "tricks" are on here.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pep

Runningalucas. Welcome to the forum.  Check out sigidi's posts, he's the Lucas authority on here.  I also have the 827.  I've put on 344 hours with no major issues.

Cheers

Pep

Where are you located?
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Seaman

Another Lucas owner!! In about 59 years, and as long as no new bandmills are sold, we will initiate our EVIL plan to take over the Forum! ( insert mad scientist laugh here. I can't spell it,)

Welcome to this great base of knowledge. There is a post started by Sidigi on tricks and such, look it up. Where are you? there is a GREAT saw doctor here in WNC.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Runningalucas

hmmm, I think I hit the wrong button, I'll begin this post again... lol.

I'm located in the Inland northwest; however, between friends, family, and acquaintances I spend a lot of time throughout the Pacific northwest.  The land that I do most of my milling on is just inside the border of Western Montana. 

The trees to date, that I can 'somewhat' identify are: White, and Red fir, Western Red Cedar(a lot, and big), Tamarack, white pine, lodgepole pine, Western Hemlock, and a few spruce.  It's a decently balanced forest for the area. 

We just had a forester out for tax reasons, and they recommended cutting quite a bit of it.  The recommendations in turn, have prompted me to look into how to better possibly utilize the trees; rather than just selling the lot for stumpage; which brought me to using the Lucas ;)

Any how, thanks for the warm welcome, and I'll definitely check out 'Sidigi'.

Thanks Again :)
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Okrafarmer

I have a sister who lives with her husband in Fairfield, Idaho. I have a good friend who grew up in western Montana in the Yaak River valley. He lives in Alaska now, but I think his family still lives on the homestead in Montana.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

dgdrls

Welcome aboard from another 8/27 newbie!! :D

Best
DGD

logboy

Take care of your 827 and it will take care of you.  Ive cut a few houses worth of lumber with mine.  Nowadays it spends a lot of time with the planer head on it for slabs.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

DJ MILLMEN

DJ here...  let me know if you need me to send out the instructional dvd..  happy milling.,.