iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clean Blades Stay Sharper, maintain set, and Cut Flatter Lumber w/o soap

Started by prittgers, September 16, 2014, 01:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Quote from: scsmith42 on September 19, 2014, 04:08:16 AM

YH - how does this mix work on SYP?  What kind of flow rate do you use?

I've never had a problem with it although I don't saw a whole lot of SYP, maybe only a couple trailer loads per year. The spindle cleaner is a water soluble oil and detergent concoction that makes the blade slick, so sap doesn't stick, and what does stick, comes off easy by turning up the flow or increasing the mix by adding a few more glugs. I mill a lot of different hardwood species, (this week was cherry, walnut and red oak) from one to day to another, and it keeps me from having to think too much, just pour it in until the mix tuns milky colored and starts to adhere to the blade, running across the top instead and clinging instead of dripping off or being rejected by the metal.
Not sure about the flow rate but it's not much, a light drip, and when I've got it right, the sawdust is powdery, the blade is clean, and I'll use about 1 to 1.5 gallons of tank mix for a day of sawing. Typically what I'll do is keep turning the flow down until I just see the pitch building up, and then increase flow just a smidgen so the pitch will just come off. 
Funny thing is that the guy who put me on the stuff years ago was a Woodmizer competition Sawyer, coming back from a demonstration and doing a little service on my mill.  Just before we started cutting a few logs to make sure the problem was fixed, he asked what kind of mix I had in the lube tank and when I told him, he just shook his head, reached into a dark corner of the Woodmizer truck and pulled out a 5 gallon bucket of the John Deere and poured some in my tank and told me this was his secret weapon.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!