iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My fetching arch

Started by kelLOGg, January 02, 2015, 07:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

It was harder to design that it was to build. I fretted over angles of pull and handle length and tried to build in some adjustments for unforseen problems. I didn't account for the weight of the pull handle itself and its effect on making the handle dive when hauling small logs that don't have enough weight to keep the tow handle aloft. I was focused on towing a log with a max diameter of 24" not small stuff like in the pix. Towing slight larger logs kept the tow handle aloft with no fear of it plowing into the earth. For a maiden voyage it did pretty good but it is no Logrite.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Tree Dan

Nice rig - I need to make one some day.
My skid steer got kicked of the job a few weeks back, had to cut everything to firewood, even the black cheery.
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Ocklawahaboy

It looks like that tow handle just fits into a larger tube "sleeve".  Why not drill a few more holes in it, for the pins, then you can slide it further back, when hauling smaller logs and that redistribution of the weight will solve your handle dive problem.

Sixacresand

Good looking arch.  I know it is handy.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ga Mtn Man

kelLOGg-  Nice job on the arch.  I built a similar design about three years ago and found that it was very good at "fetching" logs up a slope but not so good at moving logs around on level ground.  Adding a removable tow tongue and hand winch made it work much better for that purpose.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

kelLOGg

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on January 03, 2015, 09:53:49 AM
It looks like that tow handle just fits into a larger tube "sleeve".  Why not drill a few more holes in it, for the pins, then you can slide it further back, when hauling smaller logs and that redistribution of the weight will solve your handle dive problem.

That's a good idea but it would shorten the handle by only 13" and it is 10' long. BTW, the hook at the business end telescopes out to 7", 9" and 11" so I have some versatility to play with. (The pics show it at 11").

I "played" with it some more today to familarize myself with what it can do. Actually, when the handle dives it is usually stopped by the diagonal bracing between the handle and the yoke hitting the log so I may not have as big of a problem as I anticipated.

I was able to pick up and move (by hand) a 10" (big end) 8" (small end) x 16' pine and reposition it. It is definately a hard hat job and a 2nd person would be helpful, too.  When I get more logs I will post more.
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!