iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

external alternator add-on

Started by 47sawdust, October 14, 2015, 04:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

I'm installing an external alternator on my Lt30.It is powered by a 20hp Honda with 20 amp charging coils.Should I disconnect the the charging coil circuit?I'm concerned that if I don't something might get toasted.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Compensation

The smaller alternator (stator) should just freewheel while the bigger alternator does the work. May have some issues or need a dual charging regulator, I don't know so have someone correct me if I'm wrong. To avoid everything have you thought about a single pull double throw switch? It would help with starting especially when it's cold out and you will always have a secondary charging source.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

sparks

If the Honda has an internal charging system you will want to disable it or it can cause a regulator conflict on the alternator you're installing.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

47sawdust

sparks,
Thanks for the response.I did disable the Honda charging system and finished the alternator install this afternoon.I have to modify a couple guards,re-check my belts and connections and should be good to go.
My mill is a late 1997 and I really have to thank Wood Mizer for their forethought on the wiring.Even though this is a standard mill all the wires are there for hooking up the external alternator,the debarker and who knows what else.
Many thanks,
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!