iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coffee??

Started by Magicman, December 08, 2015, 08:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacotodd

He SHOULD HAVE BEEN ! Like Ray Stevens, "but it was too late", in me again Margaret.
Trying harder everyday.

Magicman

First the C-19 quarantine and now this weather curfew has completely destroyed my one-cup-a-day coffee routine.  Now it is one cup after breakfast, one mid morning, and another mid afternoon.  That plus I "need" two cookies to go with each cup of coffee.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Magicman on February 18, 2021, 02:55:33 PM
First the C-19 quarantine and now this weather curfew has completely destroyed my one-cup-a-day coffee routine.  Now it is one cup after breakfast, one mid morning, and another mid afternoon.  That plus I "need" two cookies to go with each cup of coffee.   ::)
One cup🙄. WOW. I'm probably 10 to 12 gotta have coffee

doc henderson

@Magicman you probably need it now that you are jumpin 5 times a week at the senior parachute club or what ever that was you joined!   :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

I have two cups in the morning. 

Until I found a local guy who roasts beans himself, I had to put both sugar and milk. But with these custom roasted beans, the coffee is very smooth and no bitterness so no sugar or milk. He offers several kinds named after the country the beans grew. "Peru" is my preferred choice. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

metalspinner

And I've often wondered...if I didn't drink two coffees in the morning , would I need to beers at night? Or if I didn't have two beers at night, would I need two coffees in the morning? huh-smiley
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

nativewolf

Quote from: VooDooChikin04 on April 26, 2020, 09:48:26 AM
We have about 5 different kinds of coffee in the house at the moment.  A couple fresh roasted bags, one locally and one based out of New York somewhere, as well as some Maxwell House and some Folgers quick bags.

Most days I weigh out my coffee, grind it with a hand grinder, and run through my aeropress at 201degrees for 2:30minutes.  Top the cup off with hot water and drink black.  Come out so smooth you don't need anything else in it.

Some days I weigh, grind, and use my coffee maker carafe, and the cone filter basket to do a manual pour over coffee at either 201 or 177.. depending on my mood.

Other days when I'm feeling lazy, Maxwell House treats me right... Made in the coffee maker.  Bodum from Target.
Whenever counter culture roasters (durham NC) get bags of sundried tanzanian, kenyan, or ethiopian peaberry...well it is amazing stuff.  Just like drinking fruit.  Right now the east african varieties are very slim.
Liking Walnut

samandothers

No fruity coffee, no fruity beer.  I am with Doc, I like dark roast and IPA!

stillc

I'm a real coffee addict, it is ok for me to have several cups of coffee daily. I'm into it so much, that I even learned how to make it myself. I've been on every stage simple cappuccino, filter, and french press coffee. Some time ago I discovered bulletproof coffee, wanna try to make it at home, but I need to buy a blender for it (like one of these)

Tacotodd

My sister got me some sort of 1yr auto subscription (that she paid for) of Black Rifle coffee. I've got to admit, I like the fact that it's veteran owned and operated. It's different AND good, but beyond the the price range that I find affordable, especially considering how much I drink! Like 1-2 pots daily. Old simple coffee is good enough for me.
Trying harder everyday.

doc henderson

If it has a good flavor, you can try and mix half and half with reg. coffee.  We used chicory for awhile mixed with the good stuff.  great experience, but we do the Keurig now.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

It's no problem using "regular" coffee in a K machine using this:

It works very well. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Has anyone else noticed that the shelves on the "coffee isle" are mostly bare??  :o

I made a DDGo search and found my favorite Maxwell House K-Cups for a very good price on eBay and ordered 200.  That's a 6 month supply for me.  

B.C.C. Lapp

Three cups in the morning with breakfast.  No cream or sweetener.  I like it strong and black. 
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

sawguy21

That is the way I want mine. I sure watch the prices, I won't pay what some are asking.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

I buy on the sales and load up, the price will fall $6 a can to around $10, then I scoop a bunch of them. The sale is usually once a year. Lots of coffee here on the shelves, well last week anyway. I only go for groceries every 2 weeks in winter. Last time I went for groceries it was $300 worth. But a lot of that money was spent on items that does me for months. ;D

The big chains have jacked jam prices to $8, local village has same for $5.50. Wouldn't pay more than that, sugar is real cheap and that is a big part of jam and jelly. I'm making my own rasp. jam next summer, I'm going to have a bumper crop unless we are in drought. Made some grape jelly this week.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I haven't priced a "pound" of coffee so I don't know how K-Cups compare but I suspect that they are much more expensive than loose coffee.  I emphasized pound because I don't know if a full pound is even available as such.  Pound cans sorta morphed into 10-11 oz. 

The 100 ea. box of K-Cups that I bought was $32 and was 1lb 15oz so round figures it was $17 for an actual pound.  Considering that that (Tom) is a ~three month's supply I felt OK with ordering another 100.

It was an eBay order but it was delivered in a Sam's Club box and sealed with Sam's Club tape.

Don P

We usually buy roasted beans in 5 lb bags a couple at a time and keep the freezer stocked. The auto coffeemaker died this morning, how sad  :'(.
There's about 50 jars of various jellies, jams and preserves, a little summer in the winter time... (and an easy to reach for and always welcome gift  ;))

SwampDonkey

These are 2 lb cans, but recently have morphed into some sort of square box thing that I have not opened yet. Still 3 cans left to go through. The box must have some kind of aluminum lining. I'm saving a can or two for storage as I don't know how they reseal or if they do. I hate idiotic changes, especially since now you need 3 materials to make a can instead one 2.  :D

Al_Smith

Story of my life, something is always broken .It turned out about a week ago it was Georgia's Keurig . I had to go to YouTube to figure that one out .
As it is that contraption uses kind of a check valve on the hot water discharge .Either a grain of coffee got sucked into it or the hard water clogged it up but I got it after taking it apart 3-4 times .
They are about like a Bunn or Mister Coffee you can buy replacement parts but in this case I didn't need to .Doctor Fixit saves the day again . 8)

SwampDonkey

Stainless steel perk, just need heat. Easy fix. :D

Al_Smith

Yes those worked well also .Then you have those tough old cow boys who just dumped it in a pot over a hot fire and waited until it would float a nail .Then ate the grounds from the bottom of a tin cup . Gnarly old coots they were . :)

Old saw fixer

We do the Keurig thing, and enjoy the convenience and variety of K cups.  I do miss a pot of perked coffee though and would love to find a Corningware or stainless stove top coffee percolator.  Just something about it makes me feel good...
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Al_Smith

Georgia lived by herself for about 6 years after her husband passed away and the Keurig worked out good for her .Certainly has a bunch of variety .Then along came Al riding on a white horse .Old navy guy who likes hot and black and thick and lots of it .She's got an entire section of a counter cabinet full of fancy stuff and I've got at least 6 or 8 cans of Maxwell House or Folgers rich blend whatever was on sale at the time .Two things I never run out of, coffee and beer .

Thank You Sponsors!