iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coffee??

Started by Magicman, December 08, 2015, 08:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 21, 2022, 10:53:47 AM
Yes those worked well also .Then you have those tough old cow boys who just dumped it in a pot over a hot fire and waited until it would float a nail .Then ate the grounds from the bottom of a tin cup . Gnarly old coots they were . :)
I've done that to, piece of snare wire for a handle in an old Maxwell House can over a fire or Coleman. See I had a grandfather who thought he was an old cowboy and had a few things to pass on, including making coffee in a coffee can. He wasn't too pretty, but could tell good stories.  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Magicman on November 21, 2022, 07:45:45 AMThe 100 ea. box of K-Cups that I bought was $32
I stopped drinking coffee probably 10 years ago.  My fishing buddy takes an infusion to get moving in the morning.  Normally he shops at Cosco for his K cups.  Occasionally I'll be at Falling Prices and they will have Gaylord boxes of various coffees packs.  He wants strong stuff like french roast.  I'll grab a basket full for him of 20-30 cups per pack for a buck or two each.  That keeps him happy for a bit.  Between him and his girlfriend, they will blow through 100 in 2 or 3 weeks!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

Back when I worked for the man, I drank one cup every morning.....all morning long and then one in the afternoon....all afternoon long.  I was also popping a never ending supply of Rolaids back then too.

My normal now is one cup in the morning and one means one.  I never brew a second cup.  I drink it "straight up" with no cream nor sugar.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Coffee doesn't bother me stomach wise, but I have two cups in the morning and nothing the rest of the day. I only use about 1/4 tsp sugar and a drop of milk.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

I've got a cast iron stomach I've been told .Coffee doesn't bother me plus I can eat ice cream and drink beer at the same time .Once my buddy and myself one Sunday morning at 8 A.M.were shucking oysters and drinking beer .His wife thought we were nuts . ;D

LeeB

I fail to see anything wrong with that.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sawguy21

@Al_Smith That is too funny. :D I can just picture it. I drink two mugs black and unsweetened after breakfast and that is generally it for the day. When I was on the road it was a basic food group but I had to cut back, my stomach and nerves wouldn't handle it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

:D On the cowboy front, my grandfather and his brother had cowboy outfits: hat, holster, pistols and clothes. There's old photos around here someplace. They were Roy Rogers wannabees.  I heard about some fancy pistol shoot'n to go along with the gig. :D :D

Grandfather would have been 3 years older than Roy. What a hoot.

Don P

Ahh, the new coffeemaker... works  :)

Magicman

Another reason that I only drink one cup of coffee per day is...

That using the Yeti cup, it takes an hour for it to cool enough to sip.  If I remove the lid it will cool much quicker.  

When I am sawing I use a different cup

and sip while driving, usually finishing it while getting the sawmill ready to saw and talking with the customer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

There must be a zillion ways to extract the coffee from the beans .Here's the two in use in my home .Mr Coffee and Keurig "office max ". When I wore a younger mans clothes and at that time the bell bottom blues of the US Navy I met probably the most beautiful woman in the world in Spain .Nothing  but just because she took a liking to me that she showed me Torremolinos Spain the average tourist doesn't get to see .One place was Spanish coffee they used steam to extract and you could float a nail in it .It was served with warm cream and brown sugar and believe you me it required it .It wasn't bad once to tamed it down .As for Maria I've often wondered  how she made out in life .Not only drop dead gorgeous

but very intelligent and could speak in four different languages .My bet is she did good but if she ever made it to the USA I have no idea but if she did I'd bet if she's still alive she'd be a multi millionaire .

K-Guy

I drink a strong pot every morning(14 Tbsp per 10 cup pot) very coarsely ground medium roast Columbian coffee. Yes I am a coffee snob. If I can't make mine, I will drink Tim Horton's but never Dunkin Donuts(absolute swill). 
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

aigheadish

I'm relatively sensitive to the caffeine but I've figured out my limit. I like a Kroger brand dark roast and I make it with an electric kettle and a pour through filter. I use about a third cup (measuring cup) to make my 2 mugs of black coffee in the morning. I've got it down now, I start the kettle heating up, add a couple ice cubes to my mug so I can drink it quickly, add the grounds to the pour through filter, the kettle usually gives me enough time to hold on to the kitchen sink and stretch a little, then pour the water in. My mug is likely 16+ ounces. I then go out to the front porch to look at nature, pray, smoke a cigarette and drink my coffee. I come inside, pour my 2nd cup and take my daily trip to the lew. Finish up in there and come out for my 2nd cup, this time go out and look at nature on the back porch, check the weather, smoke another cigarette and it's then off to get ready for work. Any more coffee and I start getting very jittery and angry about it. On the weekends I Irish my 2nd cups up a bit. 

I've had Keuregs (don't like all the k-cups), and normal Mr. Coffee types (crazy hard water made me wait too long for the coffee to brew and I didn't trust putting it on a timer since I'd come in to overflows and leaks fairly frequently), I've got a French Press, how do you guys clean it? Now I've been using the pour through filter and it's fast and strong enough.

I want my coffee as strong as it can be. 

Really the purpose of me writing all this was to ask how you guys clean your french press? Do you end up dumping a lot of grounds and water in the trash? How do you clean the filter part?
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Al_Smith

What pray tell is a French press ?

doc henderson

It is like making cowboy coffee, just throw the grounds in hot water, but then a filter the size of the cylinder container goes in from the top and is pushed to the bottom, getting all the grounds to the bottom.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/appliances/coffee-maker-reviews/a31213888/how-to-use-a-french-press/
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

Ha, I was including a different link but doc beat me to it!

They make a tasty coffee but I already dislike rinsing my pour through filter off in the sink, even after I've pounded it against the trash can to knock out as much grinds as I can. I feel like it can't be avoided with the french press as there is a ton of different stuff for the grounds to get caught on.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

beenthere

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 23, 2022, 12:54:50 PM
What pray tell is a French press ?
Not what you are thinking.   :D :D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

No, it isn't a French safe. :D

Al_Smith

Well I suppose using the word "French " could lead off in a lot of directions without going into details .I won't go there .Now then my dear old grand dad poured the coffee through a screen strainer which I think was really a tea strainer .As I understand it before tea bags they brewed it like cowboy coffee .Dumped the leaves in and heated it up .Long before my time .Grand dad  was born in Nottingham England and took a boat ride over as a child and being raised English never gave up his tea .

Don P

From more than one plumber I've been told not to put grounds down the sink if you are on a septic field, its a good way to plug things up.

Apparently the new coffee maker has a learning curve. I'm not really much of a student before I've had my coffee, After 3 overflowing pithing on its hotplate coffeemaker baptisms its little digital brain must have finally realized it was on thin ice and produced a cup of tolerable coffee. I'll let my instruction reading better half set the thing tonight so that it is finished before I get up.

One of our more creative mornings, we realized we had beans and no grinder. We had a hammer and several plastic bags. I went at it hammer and tong while she got water and a filter worked out and we had our morning cuppa joe  :)

21incher

I still have my mom's hand crank grinders from the horse and carriage days. It is quicker then a hammer in a pinch but I don't know what the grind is called. Kind of looks like your hammer grind I guess :P. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old saw fixer

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 23, 2022, 05:09:23 PM
Well I suppose using the word "French " could lead off in a lot of directions without going into details .I won't go there .Now then my dear old grand dad poured the coffee through a screen strainer which I think was really a tea strainer .As I understand it before tea bags they brewed it like cowboy coffee .Dumped the leaves in and heated it up .Long before my time .Grand dad  was born in Nottingham England and took a boat ride over as a child and being raised English never gave up his tea .
My maternal grandfather also came over here from Nottingham!  Paternal ancestors also from England but much earlier in time.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

brianJ

Quote from: Old saw fixer on November 24, 2022, 09:48:30 AM
Quote from: Al_Smith on November 23, 2022, 05:09:23 PM
Well I suppose using the word "French " could lead off in a lot of directions without going into details .I won't go there .Now then my dear old grand dad poured the coffee through a screen strainer which I think was really a tea strainer .As I understand it before tea bags they brewed it like cowboy coffee .Dumped the leaves in and heated it up .Long before my time .Grand dad  was born in Nottingham England and took a boat ride over as a child and being raised English never gave up his tea .
My maternal grandfather also came over here from Nottingham!  Paternal ancestors also from England but much earlier in time.
My dad's side of the family moved to the Mohawk Valley in 1948 from Friesland.  I grew up with family stories about Nazi occupation and when he had a contraband radio.
Mom's side of the family traces back to Germany & farthest back is English that came over on the Mayflower.   That branch participated in the Revolution and  one or two are buried around the St. Johnsville and Palatine Bridge area.

aigheadish

Yup, Don, I've heard the same and I'm on septic, that's why I worry about using a French press but I don't want to rinse it off into the trash can either. Maybe I just need an old coffee can sitting around that I can rinse into then let the water evaporate or dump it later.

The amount of grounds I rinse off the pour through filter is enough to make me nervous and it's very little, like dust. 

doc henderson

throw the coffee grounds in the garden or a plant bed.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!