The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Coffee??  (Read 27689 times)

Offline aigheadish

• Senior Member x2
  • Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
Re: Coffee??
« Reply #340 on: November 23, 2022, 01:18:06 PM »
Ha, I was including a different link but doc beat me to it!

They make a tasty coffee but I already dislike rinsing my pour through filter off in the sink, even after I've pounded it against the trash can to knock out as much grinds as I can. I feel like it can't be avoided with the french press as there is a ton of different stuff for the grounds to get caught on.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #341 on: November 23, 2022, 03:33:50 PM »
What pray tell is a French press ?
Not what you are thinking.   :D :D ;D
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #342 on: November 23, 2022, 03:45:46 PM »
No, it isn't a French safe. :D
“No amount of belief makes something a fact.” James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #343 on: November 23, 2022, 05:09:23 PM »
Well I suppose using the word "French " could lead off in a lot of directions without going into details .I won't go there .Now then my dear old grand dad poured the coffee through a screen strainer which I think was really a tea strainer .As I understand it before tea bags they brewed it like cowboy coffee .Dumped the leaves in and heated it up .Long before my time .Grand dad  was born in Nottingham England and took a boat ride over as a child and being raised English never gave up his tea .

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #344 on: November 23, 2022, 06:57:33 PM »
From more than one plumber I've been told not to put grounds down the sink if you are on a septic field, its a good way to plug things up.

Apparently the new coffee maker has a learning curve. I'm not really much of a student before I've had my coffee, After 3 overflowing pithing on its hotplate coffeemaker baptisms its little digital brain must have finally realized it was on thin ice and produced a cup of tolerable coffee. I'll let my instruction reading better half set the thing tonight so that it is finished before I get up.

One of our more creative mornings, we realized we had beans and no grinder. We had a hammer and several plastic bags. I went at it hammer and tong while she got water and a filter worked out and we had our morning cuppa joe  :)
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #345 on: November 24, 2022, 09:32:05 AM »
I still have my mom's hand crank grinders from the horse and carriage days. It is quicker then a hammer in a pinch but I don't know what the grind is called. Kind of looks like your hammer grind I guess :P
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline Old saw fixer

• Grumpy old man!
    • Share Post
« Reply #346 on: November 24, 2022, 09:48:30 AM »
Well I suppose using the word "French " could lead off in a lot of directions without going into details .I won't go there .Now then my dear old grand dad poured the coffee through a screen strainer which I think was really a tea strainer .As I understand it before tea bags they brewed it like cowboy coffee .Dumped the leaves in and heated it up .Long before my time .Grand dad  was born in Nottingham England and took a boat ride over as a child and being raised English never gave up his tea .
 My maternal grandfather also came over here from Nottingham!  Paternal ancestors also from England but much earlier in time.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Offline brianJ

• Only get excersize if I choose the right hobby
    • Share Post
« Reply #347 on: November 24, 2022, 11:29:28 AM »
Well I suppose using the word "French " could lead off in a lot of directions without going into details .I won't go there .Now then my dear old grand dad poured the coffee through a screen strainer which I think was really a tea strainer .As I understand it before tea bags they brewed it like cowboy coffee .Dumped the leaves in and heated it up .Long before my time .Grand dad  was born in Nottingham England and took a boat ride over as a child and being raised English never gave up his tea .
My maternal grandfather also came over here from Nottingham!  Paternal ancestors also from England but much earlier in time.
My dad's side of the family moved to the Mohawk Valley in 1948 from Friesland.  I grew up with family stories about Nazi occupation and when he had a contraband radio.
Mom's side of the family traces back to Germany & farthest back is English that came over on the Mayflower.   That branch participated in the Revolution and  one or two are buried around the St. Johnsville and Palatine Bridge area.

Offline aigheadish

• Senior Member x2
  • Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #348 on: November 24, 2022, 11:51:50 AM »
Yup, Don, I've heard the same and I'm on septic, that's why I worry about using a French press but I don't want to rinse it off into the trash can either. Maybe I just need an old coffee can sitting around that I can rinse into then let the water evaporate or dump it later.

The amount of grounds I rinse off the pour through filter is enough to make me nervous and it's very little, like dust. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #349 on: November 24, 2022, 01:59:29 PM »
throw the coffee grounds in the garden or a plant bed.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #350 on: November 25, 2022, 05:41:06 AM »
I sit here scratching my head .Why would coffee grounds take on a place like they were industrial waste on an epic scale ?Toss them in the garbage can and be done with it .Although I suppose they could be recycled to feed earth worms . ???

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #351 on: November 25, 2022, 06:07:53 AM »
aidheadish, I like your morning routine.
Meaning the front and back porch.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #352 on: November 25, 2022, 06:45:11 AM »
If you are really in a quandary as to what to do with those old grounds, you can use them to cultivate Oyster Mushrooms, it's quite easy. Here's a LINK. You can have a nice little crop in about 20 days. There's a group 2 towns south of us that teaches mushroom cultivation and they go around to the restaurants in their town and collect the grounds to use in their classes. They supply a collection bucket and pick up and replace buckets weekly. They also collect and use corrugated cardboard for the same thing.
 Mushrooms are decomposers, that's what they do, and they can do it it just about anything, including fuel oil.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
« Reply #353 on: November 27, 2022, 01:32:14 PM »
Had a hankerin’ for some stovetop coffee today. 

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline aigheadish

• Senior Member x2
  • Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #354 on: November 28, 2022, 08:38:18 AM »
My problem isn't the grounds and what to do with them it's getting the grounds off the french press. All those little coils and screens hold on to the grounds regardless of how hard I bash the thing into the side of the trash can (Or compost bucket). It's takes rinsing the thing off to get it clean, but then the grounds go down the sink, into the septic tank... I guess I just need a bucket of water that I can use only for that.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #355 on: November 28, 2022, 07:59:37 PM »
Your dilemma is why I used my French Press exactly once.  I hates coffee grounds and PatD hates them even more when they are spattered where they do not belong.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #356 on: November 28, 2022, 08:23:03 PM »
French press, yeah. I actually have one, who'd have thought? :D
 But mine is an added feature on my jet boil stove (as optional equipment). I use my jet boil for long hunts and backpacking trips and it's great. It is a fast way to make a good cup of coffee, but I don't use one around the house. I need about 10 good cups a day so I never bring a knife to a gunfight, so to speak. So we have a 12 cup Faber ware pot set on a timer for 4:45.
 As far as cleaning the french press goes, I throw the bulk of the grounds in the bushes and dip the strainer in the stream and shake it around. Good to go for the next time. :D This probably doesn't help you out much Austin, sorry. But never let it be said that I didn't do the least I could do. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Offline aigheadish

• Senior Member x2
  • Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #357 on: November 29, 2022, 06:54:50 AM »
Haha! My stream is dry right now, I can't dip it in there, not to mention who knows what's rolling into it from the field across the way when it does have water. 

I bought the small, single cup, french press, I like the coffee it makes a lot but I guess I need to save an old coffee can with some water in it to knock off the grounds, then dump it outside once a week or something.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #358 on: November 29, 2022, 07:36:20 AM »
start a worm ranch.  "Night crawlers for sale".  that is what we did when we were kids a while back.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #359 on: November 29, 2022, 09:19:16 AM »
All this "French " talk I had to go to You Tube to figure out what in the world that contraption was all about .I've came to the conclusion it's just another way to skin the same cat so to speak .I suppose with so many methods you could fill an old sock with coffee grounds and dunk it in a pot of hot water like a tea bag and get coffee .Might be a good idea though to run it through the rinse cycle in the washing machine several times first else it might have a little hint of Tide or Downy  in the cuppa . :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Coffee Drinkers -- How do you make your coffee?

Started by DR_Buck on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

50 Replies
Last post July 13, 2021, 09:43:41 AM
by bannerd
xx
Coffee

Started by Tom on General Board

39 Replies
Last post November 23, 2005, 12:42:09 PM
by Chris J
xx
Coffee