iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roller Chain lube

Started by Rougespear, August 04, 2016, 12:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rougespear

What are folks using to lube roller chain (for carriage drive or whatever)?  I'm thinking ATF will attract a lot of sawdust...
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Ron Wenrich

I used Blue Creeper as a lube on slides and chains where dust was an issue.   I sprayed things daily and a little went a long way. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

kelLOGg

I don't use anything on the chain so I don't attract dust.

This is not a chain but I have a 5/8" motor-driven Acme threaded rod that slides a swinging boom in (for travel) and out (for sawing) and I lube it with paraffin wax from a candle. No sawdust sticks and it keeps it turning quite smoothly. Might work for a drive chain but I haven't tried it. My mill is under a shed.
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

I use ATF at the end of the day!

That way it will usually be soaked in or dripped off, I don't have any sawdust issues this way!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishfighter

Hine sight, but when I swap over to chain drive, I should of installed it on the other side of the mill. My discharge shoots right down on the chain. :D I have some spray that goes on like a lite oil, but turns to grease. A little goes a long way. Don't know the name, but will get it later.

petefrom bearswamp

ATF here daily on the chains and mast.
sawdust is not a major issue.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

WM recommends ATF.  I wet all of my chains every morning before sawing and I do not have a problem with sawdust,

I also wet the log clamp and everything else that moves.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

I use a product called Chain-Saver by Dupont... best chain lube out there.  It's a Teflon and waxed based product that goes on wet so it penetrates but then dries so it doesn't attract grit and it last for a very long time.  I only apply it about twice a year.  You can find it at Wally World.  You will need to clean your chain thoroughly before applying it the first time.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!