iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help ID This Winch

Started by Radar67, November 25, 2007, 08:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

I picked up a winch this morning that I can't find any information on. Does anyone know anything about it. I'm interested in what the rated capacity is.

I was making small talk with a gentleman this morning while fueling up and noticed the winch in the back of his truck. I commented about it and he told me it was for sale. I got it for $40.

It turns free and weighs around 75 pounds. I plan to make a base for it to attach to a 2 inch receiver hitch on my truck and tractor.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dan_Shade

my guess is it's a red "little giant"

;D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Gary_C

I think it may be off an old grain elevator, the wide kind that was used for ear corn. Could be the winch used to raise the elevator transport.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Bro. Noble

We've got an old grain elevator of that type that came from the Peoria area.  I'll look tomorrow and see who made the winch.  I don't remember ours looking like that,  but it's been two or three years since we used it and I don't remember just what it does look like :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

Just looking at the way it's built and the gear ratio, I think it can take whatever you can give it with that hand crank.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gary_C

Just remember that winch was strictly made for hand cranking at slow speeds. I do not even see any grease fittings although there may be some oil holes in the castings. If you go puting a motor on that winch it will not last long without some anti friction bearings.

The other thing is if you are lifting a load and want to let go of the crank, make DanG sure you get that stop set right. If you don't, just let it go or stick a two by four in there to stop it as your hand might not come back in one piece.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Radar67

I don't plan to put a motor on it. I'm thinking a 5/16 or 3/8 inch cable and a couple of snatch blocks on heavy loads. I plan to use it as a recovery winch for my tractor or truck mostly, and pulling some logs and such too. I may even use it to hoist trusses on my house when I get to that point.

There are oil holes over the shafts.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Thank You Sponsors!