iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hinge cutting vs just cutting off

Started by braucher, February 28, 2019, 01:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

braucher

Hello I am in the forestry program / cauv
Asked my forester about hinge cutting some soft maples he said his thought was cut off . Tops will provide cover and stumps will sprout and provide browse .
I don't understand why habitat people are all for hinge cutting .
Any input would be appreciated 

bluthum

There is seldom a black/white answer to land/wildlife management,  the variables are endless and always changing.

TKehl

My opinion is you will get more leaves as forage if you hinge cut versus cut off.  Generally there are only a couple shoots that come off a stump and can't use up the root reserve.  With a hinge cut, you'll get almost complete leaf out the next year.  If branches end up out of reach, they can also be hinge cut.

More of a difference the bigger it is.  Of coarse, the bigger it is the higher the chance of barberchair... 

This is mostly on Elm, Hedge, and Honey Locust experience wise.  My goals are maximizing forage for my goats while I do TSI.  Black Locust may be about the only exception, but DanG do the water sprouts off the root come in thick!
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

thecfarm

Here in Maine,I cut a maple and I will get a ring of suckers all the way around the stump. Than sometimes I cut them off and they grow back again for the deer. I have never hinged cut a tree and let it grow. But I would think you would get more "food" from a hinge cut than a stump.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

More buds under the bark (epicormic buds) in a long stem than in a stump.  Ut is a volume thing.  Many more sprouts will come from the hinge-cut stem than the stump. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lxskllr

I'm just a curious bystander... I assume a hinge cut leaves the stem attached to the stump? How would one cut the tree and leave an attachment point?

TKehl

Cut straight through from one side and make an intentional barber chair.  

Really works better on small stuff.  At around 8" with Elm, I only have a 50/50 shot of keeping the stem attached after impact (or hang ups etc.).  6" or smaller is rare to fail unless it hangs up and I have to bring it down a chunk at a time.  

It doesn't work as good for Oak, but I don't cut many Oaks unless along a fenceline.  This is the concept, just higher than I prefer since I was taking it down without hitting the fence.

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Ron Scott

As stated, hinge cutting of smaller stemmed trees provides a larger and longer term volume of foliage and cover for wildlife. Thought should be given for its use in areas where aesthetics and repeated access are a concern.
~Ron

Wudman

We use the hinge cut technique to provide escape cover for quail and rabbits.  That live stem will lay there for years without decomposing.  Blackberry and honey suckle  will grow up through it and create "thicket habitat".  It provides cover and escape habitat for quail and small game.  A hawk can't dive bomb through it.  "Thicket habitat" is one of the primary limiting factors in small game management.  As Brer Rabbit said, "Please don't throw me in that briar patch".

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Brian w

This is fine for small trees like what you guys are speaking of and for what you are doing it for. I just wanted to say that this is not a good idea for actual felling of log size trees not only does it ruin the but log it is also very dangerous with larger trees.

braucher

I agree soft maple works best for me

TKehl

Brian, good point.  That that goes without saying, really should be said because there are all levels of experience here.

It's also species dependent.  For example, Oak is not easily hinge cut.  This was only 6-8" around.  

Cut is about shoulder high.  Not how I like to do it, but was leaning over a fence that I didn't want to rebuild.  :) So I hinge cut it like you see then started taking weight off the top with chainsaw and pole saw.  As it would stand back up, I'd open the hinge a little more.  Plus, now it is already split for firewood.   :D  Certainly not a beginner project though even on this little stem.  

Thank You Sponsors!