iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl ms 260 pro bar length

Started by iceman_lumberjack, April 23, 2003, 06:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman_lumberjack

Hello all. I am new to the forum but like it already. I just purchased a new Stihl ms260pro. The saw came with an 18 inch bar. my question is if the saw can handle that size bar easily?  Also, why is there 2 chain pitch options on that saw? Both .325 and 3/8 are available. My saw came with the 3/8 option. I wanted a light saw for smaller trees and branches, etc. Hopefully it will live up to my expectations. Thanks all..

Kevin

Your saw will handle an 18" bar without any problem.
Welcome to the forum.

tony_marks

some stihl mechanics ,say the .325 is easier for the 026 the pull.

spreaderman

Pitch is the width of the bar groove, it is .050 or .063.    the .050 is a bit lighter and easier to pull. As for the chain size it comes in .325 or 3/8. I have a 026 an it has a .325 chain on it, for faster cutting...If you want to make it  harder on you saw an make it cut slower put a 3/8 chain on it.  A 026 with a 3/8 chain and a 18 inch bar loaded with oak is a SLOW CUT.

Kevin

QuotePitch is the width of the bar groove,

Are you sure about that  :P

iceman_lumberjack

I will be testing out the saw this coming weekend. I've got a pal with a ms290 farmboss that also has the 3/8 chain and he's running a 20" bar with a rapid super chain. He has no problems. The farmboss also comes standard with .325 chain. both his saw and my saw are setup from the dealer and not changed . I'm not use to running any high power saws so the ms260 pro that I have is actually the biggest saw i've ran. an old 034 is the biggest any of my friends have. If my 260 don't cut it, then i'll maybe upgrade to the 360 or 044

iceman_lumberjack

Hello all. Used the saw and had no problems. Works like a champ. Not sure what a .325 chain would be like but the saw handled 3/8 with no problems. very happy so far except for an intermittant stalling problem. saw seemed to starve for fuel at times and start to kill unless i changed the cutting angle or revved it up more. seemed to get better as the day went on though.

Mark M

Hi Iceman

My MS260 Pro does the same thing. It cuts well but you have to hold it just right. To me it seems a little weak in the poop but maybe it is just me. I have the .325 chain and an 18 inch bar.

Mark

Larry

The local chainsaw shop guy hear likes to set up a new saw so that it runs slower and a little richer than factory specs for breakin.  After the saw has a gallon through it he wants the saw back and makes them wail.

Maybe a little tweaking would smooth things out.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!