iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

punch, 3d home architect...

Started by Alexis, February 26, 2008, 08:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexis

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you are using one of these product: 3d home architect, punch, Better Homes and Gardens Home Designer, or something similar. Any feedback? Wich one is better suited for timber frame?

I know that some are using dietrich, turbocad... but cad is a bit too much learning for me and a lot are using sketchup, but i need something that could be use for the whole house, interior and exterior and would give some blueprint...

thanks

Alexis

blaze83

Hi Alexis,

I've been using the punch! 3d architect. It works ok, but It doesn't really have a feature for timberframe or pole construction. I'm trying to use it to design and conceptulize my shop as a pole structure and it isn't working very well. It's great for standard framing construction and the utilities are great. I think it was around 100$ a couple of years ago when I purchased it. I've finally stopped expecting it to work like 3d autocad or CATIA, both cost about 30 times as much so they get much better results. once I finally grasped this concept the frustration went down a lot :D

hope this helps a little anyway :)

Steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

witterbound

Try Google Sketchup.  It's free, and you can be modeling 3D in a few hours.  It does take some time to learn, but nothing like CAD.  A lot of the timber framers are using Sketchup.

witterbound

Whoops, I didn't see that you had already considered sketchup. 

Larry

I've used Punch and didn't like it, but that was a long time ago...maybe its improved.

SketchUp can do the whole house...working on one right now.

You might be interested in a work around for SketchUp (free version) to get construction drawings.  File>export>2D Graphic.  It brings up a dialog box.  For export type select either .png or .bmp.  Hit options which brings up another box.  Enter in pixels something bigger than what you want the final print to be.  Rendering should be checked anti-alias.  Hit ok than export.  Open the .png (or .bmp) with a photo editor like Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, or Gimp.  Down size the image to what you want...burn it to a CD and bogie to Kinkos for a big print.  It is a little awkward.  Takes little bit more fussing around to get a scale print but it is doable.

You might do a Google and see if anybody has written anything for timber frames in SketchUp...cool stuff pops up all the time.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

bigshow

Well,

Clark Bremer has Sketchup ruby scripts that automatically make mortises, counts joints and pegs, provides cut list, and does shop drawings.  Its awesome.

I think he has info on his site: www.northernlightstimberframing.com
I never try anything, I just do it.

Larry

Thanks for the link bigshow...I'm gonna download his ruby and see how it works.  I'm really interested in the cut list and shop drawings.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!