iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What would you use for trailer decking?

Started by shinnlinger, August 27, 2012, 07:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Quote from: Rsangster on August 27, 2012, 10:49:00 PM
Not to get of topic but where on this forum would beginners go to find out how to's on sawing lumber to correct way?  I have a lt40hd and want to learn how to quarter saw logs and how to make the most out of a given log. 

This is the correct board and there are many topics on sawing (and failures) posted here.  Opening the older topics should be very informative.  Also, WM has many booklets on sawing and log setup.  Give them a call.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

slider

If you choose the motor oil and diesel be aware that it is going to be slippery for a while.I decked one of my flat beds this way and it was a month before we could walk on it.
al glenn

drobertson

I can say that trailor deck makes 50 percent of my custom jobs, I have cut numerous types of wood. The best in my opinion would be the white oak with the flakey bard towards the tops. Post oak is a white oak species, just a bit darker in the heart wood. Also the post oak has a tendency to get a bit more dote and weird inclusions of defects. White oak will remain straighter if cut proper than the post oak, not near as much twisting and end curving. sweet gum is tough, just needs to be bolted soon after cutting. Hackberry the same, very tough. I like some of the water sealers rather than oil, but economy is to be factored in.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

shinnlinger

Cfarm,  I have acres to store stuff and some might say I have an affliction for doing just that.   I Appreciate the input.  If I can find appropriate oak I will,  but if I had to choose between quaking aspen and hemlock which would you go with?   My neighbor may cut me some hemlock but if he doesn't I have many large quacking aspen to choose from.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

SPIKER

Quote from: BBTom on August 28, 2012, 08:57:53 AM
My favorite wood for trailer decking is Red Elm.  It is tough as nails and light as a feather (when compared to White Oak) when dry.   It is just hard to come by large enough trees to get much of it.  Dutch elm disease kills most of them before they get big enough.

I second the Red Elm or Slippery Elm with White Oak as the top 3.   The Elm is much lighter green or dry and about as strong as the Oak.   The trailer Decking around here is pretty popular too, (I need some for my trailer as well.)  I've got a slippery elm with my trailers name on it now.   Might have to take it to amish guy on other side of the street he has a Norwood and doing a bit of work...   (no mill myself yet 2 deals fell through.)

The Oil Diesel deck treatment works if you dont want to walk on it really much for a long while :)   last trailer we built was winter w W Oak decking cut at 2" thick had to Drill all the holes and then add the self tapping bolts/screws that would break off prior to "counter sinking"  :o

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

thecfarm

Hemlock or aspen? Or as I would call the aspen, poplar.I really don't think there would be a difference. The hemlock would last longer untreated but might crack-split more than the poplar. I have heard of some dump truck drivers liking aspen for the bottom of thier dump bodies. It will dent more than some wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Of the more common woods mentioned, white oak has better rot resistance or ability to stand up to the elements if that is an important feature to you.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Royal oak

I use hemlock on all my trailers. It has incredible resistance to cracking. It can bend a long way before breaking. I use hydraulic oil to preserve it.  New oil is best if u want a nice finish.

Beavertooth

You should also go with wider boards. Say a 12" board verses an 8" board because each individual board will be a lot stronger. So when you run something up on it and the tire happens to be on  one board instead of two you will have a stronger board.
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

thecfarm

He only has hemlock,white pine,aspen,oak,which I think would be red oak and maybe some ash. Some that was mentioned we don't have in our woods. Than It seems he narrowed it down to the aspen and the hemlock. Or that's how I see it.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shinnlinger

Cfarm has deciphered my new Hampshiren. If neighbor cuts me hemlock it will be hemlock.  If I have to cut it will be poplar if I can't find an oak.   
Thanks!
Shinnlinger

tyb525

Basically use what you got, and treat it with something. Oil or a purchased product.

I have heard of cottonwood being used. Ash has been used in the past for farm wagons.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thurlow

Quote from: tyb525 on August 29, 2012, 06:41:50 PMI have heard of cottonwood being used. Ash has been used in the past for farm wagons.
Not much of it around 'here' anymore, but back in the 'mule' days, the wood of choice around 'here' for wagon beds, sideboards, wheel spokes, etc was black gum.  I'll bet it would work for trailer decking......
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Bandmill Bandit

I just got a call from and oil field hauler asking if I had any tamarack that i could cut for 12 heavy hauler oilfield rigs.

I have access to a pretty decent wack of tamarack but would like to know if any one has actually used it for trailer decking. He wants full 2"X6" by 12 footers.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

drobertson

Not sure about that tamaruck or whatever it is, sounds exotic, which means dense for the most part. I have cut so many beds I lost count, the last order from a fellow out of Kansas, went from 6" 12 footers to 8" wide 12 footers,  Personally, I believe less than 10" down to 6" is a good number. There is so much cupping with the wider boards unless a ton of fasteners are used, the 8" even 6" are just good numbers.  Just my opinion. Not to mention If we can get a 2 X 12 cant, there is usually fas grade, not bad for appearance, just hard to charge a buck a bd/ft foor a trailor floor, just a waste, unless they want it, then they get it. I did one floor for a lawyer, this is what he wanted, planed every board, dried them, clear coated them, and Yep very nice red oak floor.  It was a re-built boat trailor tandom axle, with the radius near the tongue. This was a beaut!   Trailor design has allot to due with board width and the spacing of fasteners.  The under carrage cross members should be considered along with the what the trailor is hauling,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bandmill Bandit

These trailers haul mud tanks, surge tanks, gen sets, mud pumps, skid shacks of all descriptions and pretty much any thing else the oil patch can get on them.  Some are 10 feet wide by various lengths. I think 48 is minimum.

Tamarack is a local coniferous tree that loses its needles in the fall. It is a pretty hard wood and very durable but it is prone to twisting un less you get it down very soon after milling so you can hold it in place. It does shrink some but I have never paid much attention to that as the stuff iIhave cut (which is about 2000BF total) went into decks on homes at local lake where traffic durability and moisture resistance were the number one concerns of the customer. A few dozen people and a little rain and snow are a long way from an 80,000 lb load of oil fiel rigging and gear though. 

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhCKHZVP0Phcv1bJjcuM_6o_whxLoT8PA3-Vxfu4cuY172JQmOVQ

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqAgjTV2wwmMVmEF0ialqK400jbH1022-XangJvhcgVymBaEOh

Just an example of the kind of equipment that these will have for a loads. and no those are not the trailers owned by the. customer. He is how ever the same guy I cut the decking for

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

shinnlinger

My advice is if the customer wants tamerack and you have it, that's what you give him.
If I has some up here (supposedly they are but not anywhere I'm aware of) I would use it. 
Shinnlinger

shinnlinger

I also don't think its a choice that will  come back to haunt you.  If it breaks when a gen set is dropped on it it's not your fault nor do I think you would be blamed. 
Shinnlinger

thecfarm

shinnlinnger,you will notice it pretty soon.  :(  The needles are green now. But it will turn to a kinda yellow-orange color coming up pretty soon. Than they will drop the needles like the hardwood does. Usually where there is one you will see more. I have very few up in my woods past the bog. But have patches of it around my house.It is called hackmatack in my area. The latin name is Larix laricina. I have a book the Maine Forest Service put out. I went to a work shop and that book was there for free. Good deal!! I just contacted them for one for my grandson for $15.Still a good deal. I know the name my Father gave them.

Bandmill Bandit

Is there a table some where that shows relative strength of the various wood and how the wood is milled. ie flat sawn, 1/4sawn, plain sawn etc. 

I do want to get this right cause it could lead to a very good long term contract with several of the oil field heavy haulers in the area. I asked him today if they could give me a PSI load minimum and he said yes that he would get that to me along wit ha list of woods from the engineer that designs their trailers. ALL of them are custom built and they have one under construction that over 100 tires under it. I asked why wood decks and he said the safety issues of load shifting much lower on wood vs steel and also the reduced weight of the trailer.   

giant splinter

I am not positive but I think Tamarack is the same tree known as Larch where you are,it is very strong and has a slow taper with very small branches. Preferred by power companies for the strength and straightness with an almost dowel like minimal taper. I have cut it and it is very dense and heavy material, should make a very good trailer deck. Another popular deck for lowbeds and equipment trailers is cottonwood,when dry it is light weight and very dense with good grain characteristics that resist tear out from crawler tractor pads.
I have used aspen for some outdoor projects and it is also a good choice from what you have available. I hope some of this is helpful and sounds like a fun project.
roll with it

Bandmill Bandit

Thanks giant!

yes most people do call it larch around here. Guess i been listen to the gov forestry people to long. :D

Several different types in the area and I am liking what I am hearing from the engineer. pretty much bang on with what you just posted. The Tamarack type that these guys would like comes the lower foot hills boggy areas up to the lower alpine boggy meadows and is a very oily wood when dry and there for very  resistant to petroleum based hydro carbons. Who would'a thunk it?

I just found out that Fortis Alberta is the largest user of that type of tree for, you said it giant, power poles, and especially  in the wet unstable boggy areas they have to traverse with power lines. This could turn out to be a great gig.
Fortis interested in have me mill old tamarack power poles for replacement cross beams for the rural 3 phase lines. It is strange how things can evolve some times. Nothing is solid yet but I have learned a lot in the last day or so. Now the trick will be to commanderie that Tamarack from the fire wood vendor that it is headed for.

Gona go look at the logs on the week end. The fire wood guy figures we can possible make a deal on the logs from 10 diameter and up as that is were his processer starts to complain when splitting. Says he has about 25 to 30 loads. And a lot of good sized Poplar and Aspen as well.

beenthere

Here is document specific to Tamarack that should help with backing you up with some properties that are good for trailer decking.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/usda/amwood/268tamar.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: beenthere on August 31, 2012, 12:00:46 AM
Here is document specific to Tamarack that should help with backing you up with some properties that are good for trailer decking.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/usda/amwood/268tamar.pdf

WOW thank you a lot Been there. Valuable information that I have passed along to the engineer just now.

Randy88

A few qestions for the experts while on this topic, I haul heavy equipment, my deck on one of my trailers is shot, beyond shot actually, just haven't had the time to replace it yet.   Everyone is telling me to buy appitongue flooring, not sure of the spelling, its supposed to be harder and denser wood than oak or elm.   I like the oak decking myself, thats what was on my last four trailers anyhow, lasted fine.   Anyone shed any light on the appitongue wood??   

Next question I have is the treatment of the wood, isn't it better to treat the wood on both sides before its bolted down onto the trailer?   I'm under the understanding that putting motor oil either new or used is like treating the wood with a creasote product, is this right or wrong way of looking at it?   

Next question I have is what are bridge planks made of of and how are they treated?   What type of wood and also are they pressure treated creasote or exactly how are they treated?

Another question along the same line of discussion is shed poles, on one of my machine sheds, the end poles are 6x6's pressure treated and the side poles are 8x8 creasoted, the 8x8's are fine the 6x6's are all rotted off and wothless, how do you tell what type of wood the 8x8's are made of and where do you get new one's like it, my local lumber yards tell me they can no longer get them, only pressure treated lumber today?    Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

Thank You Sponsors!