iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What would you use for trailer decking?

Started by shinnlinger, August 27, 2012, 07:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Randy
Where are you located, and how long does the trailer deck of oak last ??  And is it decay or wear and tear that brings them to their life's end?

How long have the treated posts been in ?

What is the cost to you for Apitong wood?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Randy88

Beenthere, I'm in northeast Iowa, most of my decks have lasted about 10 years, its a toss up between wear and tear and decay as to what kills my decks, the apatongue decks are really high priced, two to three times the price, but people tell me it saves time to repace them and they hold up better than oak decks for wear and tear.   Right now the deck on my triple axle trailer is rotted out and thus no wear is going to happen, I can't load any rubber tired anything on it or it breaks through, my tandem axle lowboy is from wear, the wood is solid, but torn up and busted pretty badly but holds anything we put on it.

All the posts were put in at the same time about 28 years ago, the creasote post are fine the treated posts started to rot off about 15 years ago and we've dug new posts in beside the rotted ones and botled them together, now those are even rotted off again, next time around I'm thinking either creasoted or put a cement wall under the building, it wouldn't be much more work to do that as to replace all the end treated posts............again. 

tyb525

The treated posts are some kind of softwood. The new stuff these days is even worse than what you bolted on to them 15 years ago.

If you'd rather replace the posts and not pour concrete, use eastern red cedar (not western red cedar!!) or black locust posts. They will last at least 40-50 years or longer, much longer than the pressure treated you buy now.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!