iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What style is this? Where to look for stock building plans?

Started by Brad_bb, May 06, 2019, 12:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

What style of house is this?  I'd like to find a set of stock plans for one like this so I can do a cost workup.  Where should I start looking for stock plans?  I'm doing this for a friend of mine.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

twar

In my amateur opinion, I think this is a Cape Cod-style house. It certainly has Cape Cod elements. 

47sawdust

A good lumberyard will have a design/estimating team that should have plans for a home similar to the one pictured.They should also be able to do a materials take off for you.
Also do a search for New England style homes or Capes.The one pictured looks very similar to homes here with a partial or full screened porch on the back.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

I also would have a door with the small side windows on each side of the door that goes the full length.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Resonator

My opinion it is more Ranch style than Cape Cod. Especially with that split pitch roof, and wrap around porch. A quick interweb search I found "houseplansandmore" had some similar houses pictured.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

curved-wood

Should not be difficult to find some plans. Here is a company that sells plans : https://www.drummondhouseplans.com/
You could have a bit of an ides for the inside partitions and a rough estimate on $$. It may be enough to have a more precise price from your lumber yard

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: twar on May 06, 2019, 02:35:22 AM
In my amateur opinion, I think this is a Cape Cod-style house. It certainly has Cape Cod elements.
When I lived back east, all the "Cape Cod" style houses had neither a split pitch roof or eaves.  The rain gutters were right at the wall with no overhang at the ends, too.  Looks more "Farmhouse" to me with the porches.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Brad_bb

This is not easy.  Going through those two web sites and not seeing it.

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

Ranch, or raised ranch, not sure of the difference. Not a Cape.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

RichTired

Tully Burch Home Design Center Birmingham, Al plan no. 869.

I built a modified version of this plan with basement back in 1996.
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

olcowhand

Brad,
I definitely would classify it as a Cape Cod Style (check Google, it has many of the design elements that define the style). I built one for my MIL back in '01 that is the same basic design. The Dormers can be added pretty much any way you like; I put a low- pitch shed roof dormer in the back of hers on the second story to put a full bath in.
I may have a set of plans around somewhere; let me check, and I'll IM you for an address to ship them to if have them. (It may take me until Saturday...)
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

florida

General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Brad_bb

Still haven't found a plan for a similar house.  Tully Birch that RichTired noted doesn't seem to have an  online presence/website.  So it must be on paper file with them.

florida

General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

SawyerTed

You might have better luck searching for story and a half house plans.

Home designs have incorporated so many elements from various architectural styles it is hard to call a modern house a specific architectural style anymore.  

Cottage, Cape Cod, Low Country and Farmhouse all come to mind when I look at the photo.  

The photos above are my variation of the story and a half farmhouse/cape cod. I built it 29 years ago.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WLC

Try houseplans.com  I found the one I linked below in just a few minutes.  Not quite an exact match, but close.  Narrow down the search parameters and you'll find something close. 

Not to be a smart alleck, but if the pic you posted is of an actual house nearby and not an internet photo why not just ask the owner?  Most folks will tell you where they got the plans or what builder built the house and you could contact them.

https://www.houseplans.com/plan/1778-square-feet-3-bedroom-2-50-bathroom-0-garage-country-farmhouse-sp154437
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Thank You Sponsors!