iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for a Stihl tool....

Started by VT_Forestry, October 22, 2009, 08:44:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VT_Forestry

Ok, so this isn't exactly for a chainsaw, but a brushcutter...an FS-450 to be precise.  It uses the solid Chisel blade that is sharpened with a chainsaw file.  As the blade gets sharpened, the offset teeth on it begin to shorten and the offset gets smaller.  After awhile, no matter how sharp you have those teeth, it won't cut because the chips have no where to go.  I've been told that Stihl makes a tool that allows you bend those teeth back out and it is calibrated to the proper offset angle, but I have yet to find one anywhere.  Does anyone have any experience with this or know where I could find a part or even a part number to begin my search?  Any help would be greatly appreciated, the boss man says I get a raise if i can find one :) 
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

VT_Forestry

OK so after doing some more sleuthing, I found a diagram and a part number on the the packaging of an old blade.  Part # is 4020 893 5000 but I can't for the life of me find anyone that can tell me the part exists...maybe the part # has changed?

John Mc

If this is the cutting blade that looks a bit like a table saw blade, I had a similar problem. Not just with sharpening down the teeth, but also with the "set" of the teeth getting crimped out of the blade when it got pinched (probably wouldn't happen if I stuck to cutting smaller stems).

My saw is a Jonsered. My local Jonsered/Husky dealer did not stock the setting tool, but ordered me one out of his catalog. If your Stihl dealer can't find one, perhaps another brand dealer can? I can't imagine there is too much difference in tooth set between brands.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

Do you have a pic of that blade, showing the teeth?

I think I have that blade too, and would think a metal block with a slot in it (and an adjustable stop) to bend the tooth  plus a dial gage to measure the result could work.

Is this the blade?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Reddog

The hand tooth setters for hand saws would work also. But they are not easy to find anymore.
When I searched with google most found where available in the UK.

VT_Forestry

Beenthere, that's the one, it's a 225mm (8.9") blade.  I was looking through the packaging of the blade and in true Stihl fashion it has all the necessary measurements and tolerances so if I'm unable to find an official Stihl setter, I'm sure our machine shop could build one that would suit just fine.  It looks like the Stihl tool has an offset on the back of the tool that is 1mm so that when you lay it flush with the blade, the tooth should touch that offset.  I assume this would eliminate the need for a dial gauge...

beenthere

That should work.
1mm is 40 thousandths, and tooth set on my blade (without too many sharpenings) is at 30 thousandths.
Here is the spec page (for those wondering what we are talking about  :) )

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

joe_indi

The blade is the Chisel tooth.
Here is what you are looking for:

Joe

Reddog

I stopped by my dealer to day and he ran the part#4020 893 5000 , it came back available at $24 and some change.
I think I will just make one from a piece of flat stock with a cutoff wheel in the die grinder. I have been just using vice grips.  ;D

VT_Forestry

Quote from: Reddog on October 22, 2009, 03:58:52 PM
I stopped by my dealer to day and he ran the part#4020 893 5000 , it came back available at $24 and some change.
I think I will just make one from a piece of flat stock with a cutoff wheel in the die grinder. I have been just using vice grips.  ;D

haha, yeah i was hesitant to go to the dealer because another guy here in my office had ordered one and it was the wrong part, but it could have been a variety of things going on there.  i ended up going to the dealer and they ran it, found it and ordered 4 for me.  if it were me, i would make one myself, but this is government work so we like to have the multiple copies of the official tool that costs too much money  :)  thanks everyone for all the help, hopefully when they come in they are the right part...i'll keep you posted

Thank You Sponsors!