iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is Fuel Stabilizer needed in ethanol free gas?

Started by gspren, November 01, 2013, 09:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I have a few old gas engine farm tractors and always used Stabil with the ethanol gas but I found a source for no ethanol gas, do I still need the Stabil? Sometimes they will set a month or two without running and sometimes run every week.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thenorthman

It depends on how long they sit, stabil works good for gas that is going to be sitting for a year or more, so if it was probably going to be sitting for more then a few months I use it.

The ethanol is just bad, for a multitude of reasons.  And all the corn farmers can sit and spin on it all they want.

However this is one big reason why I'm trying to get away from gas and go all diesel.
well that didn't work

Onthesauk

Swear by Seafoam in everything, whether you need it or not.  Can't hurt.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Corley5

2nd on the Sea Foam.  I use it in everything too  8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

RCBS

3rd for seafoam.  I've literally seen it "fix" a surging engine just by pouring in the tank and running a few minutes.  I would say your premix should be fine without additional fuel stabilizers since the oil has them in it.  Seafoam or Lucas Oil products are never a bad idea for everything else.
Echo CS-3400, 550xp, Jonsered 2166, L3130 Kubota, '78 JD 300 backhoe, Kubota RTV900, JD2305, lots of sharp stuff and several firearms

Ed_K

X4 on seafoam. I also use the marine base stabil for gas not use for a month or so
Ed K

John Mc

My understanding was that Sea Foam is a fuel system treatment/cleaner, NOT a fuel stabilizer.  Do I have this wrong?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

CCC4

Coming from a racing back ground, wrenching on my own race bikes and now my Son's, I have learned a few things about gasoline.

The way I understand it, "pump gas", even Premium, is basically made up of "heavy" and "light" fuels. When fresh, everything is ok, but when left to sit for weeks or maybe even months, the light fuels evaporate leaving the heavy fuels to gum up carbs. Fuel stabilizers keep this from happening for the most part.

There are other fuels that do not go "stale"...but they are expensive.

The cheapest of the "good" fuels is 100LL AV gas. This is 100+ octane low lead aviation gas. It can be left for months w/o going stale or gumming up carbs. I used to use 100LL in my race bikes until seasons changed and the gas began to actually draw water from the air. This caused considerable problems and I quit using it. However I know people that use it exclusively and seemingly have no water drawing issues. 100LL AV can generally be purchased for around $4.50 per gallon.

Then you get into "race gas" brands such as VP and Sunocco...they also have an extremely long shelf life and offer several different octane levels and also offer oxygenated fuels. I have used both brands in mine and my Son's race bikes all with great results. Normally I used VP 110 and it seems to be excellent in even chainsaws, however VERY expensive. This year for my Son's race bike I switched to VP 114 oxygenated. On small cc motors it is difficult to see a big difference but just knowing you are putting the absolute best gas in your motor is good enough for me and race applications.

The "race fuels" are VERY expensive...VP and Sunocco 110 are generally $10 a gallon and VP 114 oxygenated are $14 a gallon. Obviously if you are production cutting and burning 2 gallons a day average 6 to 7 days a week... pump gas 93 NE is the way to go...just add some sort of fuel stabilizer if you are not going to be using your saw on a regular basis.

One of the reasons I am posting this is because I see VP Pre-mixers for chainsaw use being offered. They are waaay over priced, good fuels but just too expensive. If anyone is considering using VP or Sunocco fuels for chainsaw use, they should buy it out right by the gallon and mix their own gas. On an already expensive fuel, there is no reason to buy the "pre-mixers" for chainsaw use. Like I say, excellent gas but...mix it yourself if you just "have" to have that type of gas. Otherwise just use 93 NE. 

John Mc

Quote from: CCC4 on November 03, 2013, 03:11:22 PM
I used to use 100LL in my race bikes until seasons changed and the gas began to actually draw water from the air. This caused considerable problems and I quit using it. However I know people that use it exclusively and seemingly have no water drawing issues. 100LL AV can generally be purchased for around $4.50 per gallon.

That water was most likely condensation in your fuel tank as temperatures changed. 100LL does not really "draw water from the air" (at least no more so than any other non-ethanol gas. Ethanol blends can certainly do so, however.)  Keep your tanks full to minimize the condensation problems -- that's a common practice for aircraft.

Quote100LL AV can generally be purchased for around $4.50 per gallon.

You're getting a great deal if you can find it for that price these days. Around here, 100LL ranges from about $5.50 to $6.70+.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!