iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

any ideas

Started by woodmills1, December 19, 2001, 12:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

i started to quarter saw my whack of white oak last weekend.  i have all of these triangular slabs from the top and bottem of the quarters.  they would give a 1 by 2 or so but my order is for 3 inch and up so what should i do with them?  they sort of look like split rail fence rails don't they? :D

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

couln't resist posting the second picture with the huge cherry butt fork i got for free 8)

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tom

Does look like split rail fence. You might try that as a rustic entrance or something like that since you don't have too much.

The Cherry is a prize.  It has a fork that would make going after crotch wood worth while.  Wish it were mine. :)

timberbeast

I'll make you a rustic table out of those slabs,  if you send that Cherry log my way UPS :D :D :D
Actually,  they would be good for rustic furniture legs,  or maybe a porch rail on the right house........ :)
Where the heck is my axe???

woodmills1

don"t fear that is just the beginnings of the slabs from the first 400 bd ft 800 more to go.  if any one is interested let me know :)

marc

If it were me, I would do the same thing I do with all the other stuff (wood things like that) I can't find a use for right a way put it in the garage and hope one day I do find a use for it.(most of the time I don't) :D :D :D

Frank_Pender

Jim, I am interested in how you like your loader.  What is the brand name?  I have been looking realy seriously at the Wheeler brand for over the road hauling. ::)
Frank Pender

CHARLIE

Woodmills1, I see a lot of turning wood there.  I'm sure some woodturners would love to get hold of some of that.  Otherwise, your idea of a split rail fence sounds good to me.  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

I guess high production has made me to blase'. I look at that l'ittle pile of slaps and think "Why hasn't somebody run that throught the chipper by now?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodmills1

i run lotsa slabs through my firewood processor, and burn most of the soft wood scrap including the lumps cut offs and tramp metal holders, but these just were interesting.  i cut about 50-90 thousand bd ft per year holding a full time teaching job, so while not big in any sense i do see my share of junk chipper feed.  these are quarter white so one face shows nice ray figure also.  as for the loader it really suits my needs with its hydraulic winch and grapple.  most of my woodlot is firewood to medium butts only a few huge.  if you saw my whack of logs picture, the loader will lift a ten foot large one in the pile but the big one at 18 feet i had to do one end at a time.  go to http://www.payeur.com/ and look at their wheeler for over the road work. that is where i got my metavic

Don P

Took till the last post for my porch light to come on. Research Stickley (Gustav I think) and Arts and Crafts or Mission style furniture. I think it was he who was taking pieces such as yours and glueing them to show ray fleck on all 4 faces for chair, table...legs. His finishing of white oak sounds kind of fun. They would place the finished piece in a cabinet full of ammonia fumes to darken the wood. Whats a whack of legs worth?
Hmm, barrel staves.

Frank_Pender

I too taught and run my mill.  I also produced 100 cords of wood a year and tought full time.  When the first mill arrived acut back to 30 cords of wood and ran the mill like youself, Jim.  I have since retired from the forml teaching career and run the mills full time.  But, not every day. They run as the demand is out there.  I do have some rather large jobs ahead of me, but the customers are not in a jurry and have not brought their logs into the mill as yet.    I keep such things as large slabs and some trimmings for a while and see in the move to a potential customer.  When I have nmoved them two or three times I will finally make firewood for the house or kiln hot water stove, or chip them for sawdust and chip customers as based on supply and demand for any such type of product.  It all gets used to a good $ value one way or another on this Tree Farm, that is for sure. 8)
Frank Pender

woodmills1

its funny, i am cutting the quartered for a barrel maker and at the end of next school year no more teacher gonna be a full time wood cutter. at the old place i had less land but 2000 sq ft of indoor work space.  i made my own stuff out of trimmings from the table saw.  here in the new place since june i have 85 acres but only a 2 car garage.  cant store nothin.  but i think the front yard gets a fence ina style like Lincoln would be proud of,  though no splittin involved. ::)

L. Wakefield

Woodmills, I was driving home thru Gorham 9Me.) today and they had a treee company working in the yard and road of one of the town houses. There was a cherry butt end log lying down that reminded me of your picture but no crotch. I swear the butt end must have been better than 2ft diameter. I'd've gladly taken it off their hands, but they were all over it. Didn't look like they needed any help.. :D  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Thank You Sponsors!